• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
My problem was that having gone to the trouble to get him on strike, they didn't put much thought to keeping him on strike.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Valid point. Don't remember if they left easy singles. I remember a short leg but the rest should have been ring field/catchers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wasn't online when it happened, but what was the reaction here when Cook was giving Warner/Clarke singles at the start of Clarke's innings to get him on strike?

200 runs behind.

To try and get the worlds best batsman on strike.
It was pretty "un-Cook" like tbh. Fairly aggressive and ballsy move. I wouldn't have done it, but hey, it was inventive.

Also AB deVilliers is the best batsman in the world actually. Burgey to confirm.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's really no need whatsoever to try and manufacture to get Clarke the strike though. They were two down. Did they think Warner was going to farm the strike the remainder of the innings? Not maximising your chances of taking a wicket at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I doubt he did it to feel the need to get him on strike. I felt at the time, and others may have thought differently, that he did it to make a statement to Clarke. Backfired big time.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It was pretty "un-Cook" like tbh. Fairly aggressive and ballsy move. I wouldn't have done it, but hey, it was inventive.

Also AB deVilliers is the best batsman in the world actually. Burgey to confirm.
Spark to unconfirm.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah I like Burgey cracking it about AB de Villiers ya bum. Its such a random dislike of a player, makes me chuckle.

Burgey

He's learned. I was a Young Liberal ffs. That's what happens when you're immature.

Went to one branch meeting. Was like a CWA get together from the 1950s. Hilarious.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FMD when you were a young liberal it must have been the 1930s or something. Would have been white men only back then.

Burgey

FMD when you were a young liberal it must have been the 1930s or something. Would have been white men only back then.
There was no liberal party in the 1930s. Menzies created it out of the old UAP in 1946 or thereabouts.

The views hadn't changed much since then. It was flat out hilarious. I was about 15 or 16 I think. Thought it might be interesting so I joined up to the Greystanes branch. There were about five people there and I recall some idiot saying people should be means tested for the dole. I called him an idiot and didn't go back. Bloke was a fool. I think they were all accountants or something. Terrible.

On a side note, which of you ****s said you were going to come and mow my lawn? Had to do it myself this arvo. Got my hands dirty and all. Appalling.

Spark

Global Moderator
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

THE England and Wales Cricket Board has asked Cricket Australia to drop Brisbane as a Test venue on future Ashes tours because of the supposedly boorish behaviour of Australian supporters during the recent First Test at the Gabba.

The ECB is understood also to have been dismayed by the way England players were treated by sections of the local media, with The Courier-Mail running a campaign in which it refused to mention Stuart Broad by name.

As well, the England team has already stated it has banned Triple M for the remainder of the current Ashes tour after the radio station arranged for aircraft to tow banners over Brisbane taunting its players.
This is a joke, surely?

benchmark00

Absolute babies. First having a whinge to the umpires about intimidatory bowling and now this. Just get on with it.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean I actually have difficulty believing that is true. Asking for a highly established and famous Test venue to be dropped because the crowd was a bit mean (but hardly violent)?

Seriously?