• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
100%. The UEFA Cup was the barometer of a league's strength in depth; look at how many Italian winners and finalists there are between 1989 and 1999.

To win the old European Cup you had to (usually) get by a maximum of one English side, one West German side, one Spanish side and one Italian side. That's 4 top tier sides in the whole competition. Given the fact it was an open draw, you could get instances like in 1987/88 where Napoli and Real Madrid were drawn together in the first round, so round 2 is automatically going to be one big side down.
Well this is very anachronistic, by the late 80s/early 90s the winner came from outside these countries as often as not. ‘71-‘73 Ajax in particular might just about count as a top tier side.

Also last year’s winners qualified, so you did often have two big clubs from these countries. But it is true that you could occasionally get an easy run to the final.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well this is very anachronistic, by the late 80s/early 90s the winner came from outside these countries as often as not. ‘71-‘73 Ajax in particular might just about count as a top tier side.

Also last year’s winners qualified, so you did often have two big clubs from these countries. But it is true that you could occasionally get an easy run to the final.
The winners often came from outwith those countries because of the nature of the tournament. You've got 4, maximum 5 teams in the European Cup from the 4 big leagues in Europe, whereas all 4 leagues would have had 3 teams each in the UEFA Cup. Steaua Bucharest reached the 1989 final having beaten the champions of Czechoslovakia, USSR, Sweden and Turkey en route, and reached the semis the year before having despatched the Hungarian, Cypriot and Scottish champions.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I got them all, the 1993 United captain was the one that gave me trouble. I didn’t think he was still there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I didn't get United's 07/08 captain, I was trying to think of senior players I hadn't named and forgot about him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestly they really need to crack down on time-wasting, all this adding minutes just book the keeper as soon as he starts, no keeper is going to risk being sent off, would end it right away, it's a blight ATM.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
honestly they really need to crack down on time-wasting, all this adding minutes just book the keeper as soon as he starts, no keeper is going to risk being sent off, would end it right away, it's a blight ATM.
Seems to be an unwritten rule that you can't book someone for time wasting until at least 88 minutes have gone.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Martinez would be sent off every game. :(

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I got 12. Missed the inaugural captain as I thought he'd left by then, for some reason my mind has retconned Colin Hendry as the winning Blackburn skipper and I forgot that the winning captain in the 2006-07 & 2008-09 seasons exists.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember when they more or less solved it completely at the World Cup and the FA were just like nah.
Think Tv Companies are the problem there, 13 minutes extra with no ads, and there's schedules, not an huge problem for Sky but elsewhere possibly.

Also if your aim is to just be generally disruptive, and spoil the other teams flow, a la Wycombe, then they don't give a **** if they play 20 minutes over.