• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should ban each and every single one of these tinpot gimps who are on the park for life.

edit: especially the fannies holding their phones up.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
City are so much better now. Still probably the best time to possibly play them. Other results have to go the right way so am not getting my hopes up anyway. The whole thing would be an enormous bonus.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Got to think the team is pretty much set for the final but obviously whoever plays is going to be really good. When it seemed that we had no chance of finishing 7th I was hoping City would be full strength as I am going and really wanted to see Haaland.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
One way in which things are so different from my earliest experiences of the game are how far removed the periods of single team dominance by City, United and Liverpool are from those days. My first five seasons of following the game saw five different winners of the old First Division: Everton, Arsenal, Derby, Liverpool and Leeds. Avidly reading a bit about the years before then told me that Man Utd and Man City had also won it in the late 1960s, making it seven different winners in eight seasons. Maybe the more egalitarian nature of the league suggested that the standard of the winners wasn't all that great. Most of them didn't do so well in the European Cup, which didn't change until Liverpool raised the bar in the late 1970s. But following the game was a very different experience.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Got to think the team is pretty much set for the final but obviously whoever plays is going to be really good. When it seemed that we had no chance of finishing 7th I was hoping City would be full strength as I am going and really wanted to see Haaland.
I think you're right, but maybe they'll be competing for leading roles as replacements during those games should the need arise. And maybe I'm overthinking it. And yes, they will be great anyway. Reading your comments about Brentford and Europe reminds me of the season Palace missed out due to the ban on English clubs. That was when we finished 3rd in the First Division in 1991; I think that English clubs were readmitted in 1992, so that was as close as we've ever been. Actually, we'd have been in the Cup Winners Cup if we'd held onto our lead in the 1990 FA Cup Final, as Man Utd won it in 1991. But that was down to us rather than Liverpool fans' behaviour at Heysel.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think you're right, but maybe they'll be competing for leading roles as replacements during those games should the need arise. And maybe I'm overthinking it. And yes, they will be great anyway. Reading your comments about Brentford and Europe reminds me of the season Palace missed out due to the ban on English clubs. That was when we finished 3rd in the First Division in 1991; I think that English clubs were readmitted in 1992, so that was as close as we've ever been. Actually, we'd have been in the Cup Winners Cup if we'd held onto our lead in the 1990 FA Cup Final, as Man Utd won it in 1991. But that was down to us rather than Liverpool fans' behaviour at Heysel.
Yeah I think English clubs were allowed back in 1990 except Liverpool who had an extra year

Furball

Evil Scotsman
English clubs were re-admitted in 1990/91 with the exception of Liverpool who had to serve an additional season and therefore Arsenal in 1991/92 were the first club back into the European Cup.

Palace would have missed out as England's co-efficient would have fallen off a cliff after being banned for 5 seasons, so there was only 1 UEFA Cup place on offer, which would have gone to the runners up. Crazy to think now that 3rd place in the league wouldn't have earned European football in the early 90s.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Palace would have missed out as England's co-efficient would have fallen off a cliff after being banned for 5 seasons, so there was only 1 UEFA Cup place on offer, which would have gone to the runners up. Crazy to think now that 3rd place in the league wouldn't have earned European football in the early 90s.
Ah, I didn't know that. Next you'll be telling me that winning the Zenith Data Cup in 1991 wouldn't have got us into Europe either.

So it was all the fault of Mark Hughes' equaliser in the 1990 FA Cup Final then.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah, I didn't know that. Next you'll be telling me that winning the Zenith Data Cup in 1991 wouldn't have got us into Europe either.

So it was all the fault of Mark Hughes' equaliser in the 1990 FA Cup Final then.
In fairness even if we’d had 2 UEFA Cup places, the second would have gone to the League Cup winners (Sheffield Wednesday)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness even if we’d had 2 UEFA Cup places, the second would have gone to the League Cup winners (Sheffield Wednesday)
ffs. Does anyone else want to take their turn at shattering my illusions?

Anyway, it's still down to Liverpool's supporters at Heysel, without whom we'd never have been banned in the first place, allowing Palace to take their rightful place in 1991/92 and presumably winning the UEFA cup at a canter.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
One way in which things are so different from my earliest experiences of the game are how far removed the periods of single team dominance by City, United and Liverpool are from those days. My first five seasons of following the game saw five different winners of the old First Division: Everton, Arsenal, Derby, Liverpool and Leeds. Avidly reading a bit about the years before then told me that Man Utd and Man City had also won it in the late 1960s, making it seven different winners in eight seasons. Maybe the more egalitarian nature of the league suggested that the standard of the winners wasn't all that great. Most of them didn't do so well in the European Cup, which didn't change until Liverpool raised the bar in the late 1970s. But following the game was a very different experience.
This is very true.

In 18 seasons between 1959 and 1976, eleven different clubs won the English league title, with none successfully defending it. Fourteen different teams lifted the FA Cup, which many players and managers regarded as more important than either the league or the European Cup.

The "impossible" double of league and FA Cup had at that time been achieved only once during the twentieth century.

It was a more insular time, when glorious uncertainty was still very much part of the game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Having previously suggested that our First Division winners in the late 1960s and early 1970s usually weren't quite good enough to win the European Cup, one indicator of the strength of our domestic game was how well we did in the Inter City Fairs Cup (which was the predecessor of the UEFA Cup) and the early years of the UEFA Cup itself, with five English clubs winning in six consecutive years from 1967/68 to 1972/73: Leeds (twice), Newcastle, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool. Around that time, Man City and Chelsea also won the Cup Winners Cup.

A look at the list of winners, beaten finalists and beaten semi-finalists shows that by the late 1960s, the ICFC was a serious competition.
Perhaps less so in the 1950s when Birmingham reached two finals and were beaten semi-finalists by the eventual winners on another occasion.