• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fred isn't bad.
Fred was probably our only good player under Rangnick.

He’s very limited but works very hard. If he was an academy product he’d be a fan favourite but because he’s a £50m Brazilian he’s a hate figure.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
people don’t realise how VAR has helped in averting the really **** calls most of the time as they’re used to it

if only the richest league in the world can act like it and do better implementation of it next

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loving Trossard so far. Great backup who can play across the front 3. Will get heaps of games and is good enough to contribute.

grecian

people don’t realise how VAR has helped in averting the really **** calls most of the time as they’re used to it

if only the richest league in the world can act like it and do better implementation of it next
Agree with both these points really reminds me of the 2009 Ashes, which people seem to forget was marred by DRS ****, but despite the horribleness, there were a number of real clangers overturned, which almost immediately got forgotten. Was just hideously umpired. Billy Doctrove and Rudi Koertzen I think.

Having said that the implentation of VAR in this country has been one of the great administration **** ups of our time, so fully understand why people want var to die in a ditch.

anil1405

International Captain
Having said that the implentation of VAR in this country has been one of the great administration **** ups of our time, so fully understand why people want var to die in a ditch.
Arsenal would've had three points against Brentford instead of one if the man behind VAR was sensible enough to check the entire offside episode involving a crucial goal. Imagine if Arsenal lose the league by a point or two.

So yeah, technology has bought a massive change for good but the implementation and human error is still at unacceptable levels.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agree with both these points really reminds me of the 2009 Ashes, which people seem to forget was marred by DRS ****, but despite the horribleness, there were a number of real clangers overturned, which almost immediately got forgotten. Was just hideously umpired. Billy Doctrove and Rudi Koertzen I think.

I am as close to certain as it’s possible to be about an event that was 14 years ago that there was no DRS used in the 2009 Ashes…

To your original post that’s such an awful decision. We got the rub of the green from a ref yesterday much to Steve Evans’ dismay, couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke etc etc…

grecian

Yeah, I was wrong 2013 I think, I may have slandered some Umps. Think Kevin Rudd got involved for some reason.

I clearly misremembered, but at least I remembered it somewhat, as many have said recently, there was never any problems in cricket and Rugby. I know little about Rugger but I'm pretty sure that's bollox too.

On the decision Cambridge had just had a goal disallowed at the other end for offside, so maybe that played a part.

Uppercut

VAR is a travesty, I'll never stop missing pre-VAR football. The moment a goal is scored will never be the same.

Strange that the single greatest thing about the sport is now so diluted at the top level but still very much present at the bottom.

grecian

VAR is a travesty, I'll never stop missing pre-VAR football. The moment a goal is scored will never be the same.

Strange that the single greatest thing about the sport is now so diluted at the top level but still very much present at the bottom.
Fair enough, maybe it's because I don't care that much about top level football. Perfectly legitamate reason to hate it. Mike Atherton did use the same argument about DRS if I remember rightly

I have to say because of two disallowed goals without vAR in the World Cup, amongst many other such decisions, I have a stagggered celebration anyway, and only really happy when they're running to the centre spot, but that's my fatalist disposition.

Honestly the officiating at the lower level makes you pissed off pretty much weekly.

Uppercut

Fair enough, maybe it's because I don't care that much about top level football. Perfectly legitamate reason to hate it.

I have to say because of two disallowed goals without vAR in the World Cup, amongst many other such decisions, I have a stagggered celebration anyway, and only really happy when they're running to the centre spot, but that's my fatalist disposition.

Mike Atherton did use the same argument about DRS if I remember rightly
The Kasprowicz dismissal in 2005 is quite a good example. The out/not out decision is quite technical and not at all reflective of the skill of the batsman or the bowler. In pre-DRS times neither side can complain if it's given against them. But the moment is so much more iconic when it all comes down to the umpire raising his finger rather than after 5 minutes of replays to see whether his glove was touching his bat.

But I supported DRS coming in despite that. Cricket is different. If you have a goal wrongly disallowed you can go and score another one, but if you're given out wrongly your game is over. And it's stop-start anyway so it's much less disruptive to the rhythm of the game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I was wrong 2013 I think, I may have slandered some Umps. Think Kevin Rudd got involved for some reason.

I clearly misremembered, but at least I remembered it somewhat, as many have said recently, there was never any problems in cricket and Rugby. I know little about Rugger but I'm pretty sure that's bollox too.

On the decision Cambridge had just had a goal disallowed at the other end for offside, so maybe that played a part.
Ah yeah 13 there were some shambolic uses

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Can't disagree with this more.

We wouldn't have gotten near the Europa final last year without it - we probably don't get past Dortmund in the playoff round without it as our opening goals in both legs were penalties that the officials missed and our 4th goal in Dortmund was initially disallowed due to a farcical offside call.

It also doesn't affect the moment a goal is scored anywhere near as much as you're claiming.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Fair enough, maybe it's because I don't care that much about top level football. Perfectly legitamate reason to hate it. Mike Atherton did use the same argument about DRS if I remember rightly

Honestly the officiating at the lower level makes you pissed off pretty much weekly.
There are loads of mistakes on field and tmo in rugby. Difference is the pundits media and fans have a unwritten rule of never criticising the ref.

It's stupid as the get away with poor performances occasionally even tho I do think overall the control the games better than football referees. Wales England couple years ago was one of the worst refereeing displays I have ever seen in any sport but after the game he was barely mentioned

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It also doesn't affect the moment a goal is scored anywhere near as much as you're claiming
Surely it does when it’s a tight run from a through ball etc. my inclination would be to celebrate more like when we get a penalty because you know the job isn’t done yet?

TRFC have only had one game with VAR and it came up trumps for us overturning a wrongly disallowed goal and giving us a penalty. But I’m glad we don’t have it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Rugby is different imo. Especially with the advent of a highly active TMO (and clear communication between the refs and the viewing audience and crowd which is really one area where VAR has to go if it's to be at all workable IMO), you don't get that many uncorrected "mistakes". But with such a technical sport it does sometimes feels like the referee has brought out a completely different rulebook to what you're used to at times.

The Kasprowicz dismissal in 2005 is quite a good example. The out/not out decision is quite technical and not at all reflective of the skill of the batsman or the bowler. In pre-DRS times neither side can complain if it's given against them. But the moment is so much more iconic when it all comes down to the umpire raising his finger rather than after 5 minutes of replays to see whether his glove was touching his bat.

But I supported DRS coming in despite that. Cricket is different. If you have a goal wrongly disallowed you can go and score another one, but if you're given out wrongly your game is over. And it's stop-start anyway so it's much less disruptive to the rhythm of the game.
I know this is often brought up but I'm sceptical that it's true. The reason DRS would rob us of that iconic moment is because it wasn't actually out, if it was out and given by DRS it would be just as iconic.

Like, one of the most iconic moments of recent cricketing history is all about DRS!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know this is often brought up but I'm sceptical that it's true. The reason DRS would rob us of that iconic moment is because it wasn't actually out, if it was out and given by DRS it would be just as iconic.

Like, one of the most iconic moments of recent cricketing history is all about DRS!
Also wouldn’t he have been out miles earlier had DRS been in place.