• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Crystal Palace's central defender Joachim Anderson must have had enough of watching his side's useless forwards failing to find the net and decided to show them how at Villa this afternoon with a neat finish. Unfortunately it was at the wrong end, as our inexorable slide towards the relegation zone continues. The casual observer might not look beyond the fact that we've spend forever in 12th position this year, but most of the sides below us have narrowed the gap by, you know, actually winning a game from time to time. The maths being that winning one and losing the other two out of every three games is more profitable than drawing two and losing the other. Our next three games are against City, Arsenal and Brighton, so the likeliest outcome is that we'll be 5th from bottom by the end of the month, having been leap-frogged by 3 or 4 of the sides below us. Thereafter, most of the remaining games are against other sides in the bottom half of the table, with any number of relegation dog fights. Against sides who do actually know how to score more than once in a blue moon. Apologies in advance if I'm even grumpier than usual by then.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see West Ham ****ed over, to think I used to semi-support them, Tory ****s, they'll probably get DiCanio into manage them next..

anil1405

International Captain
Not that I'd be unhappy to see them win the league this year.
A case for most neutral fans I suppose.

But we all know, this is setting up for a devastating Arsenal crash at the fag end of the season.

What an end to the game today though. The atmosphere after the third goal was surreal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's the state of your nerves mate? Your boys seem to be making a habit of this sort of thing. Not that I'd be unhappy to see them win the league this year.
I'm still living in a protective cocoon of pessimism, so when we're two down at home against a team in the reg zone I tend to think "Of ****ing course".

I never believed we'd be anywhere near the shake up this deep into the season and still deep down reckon the big prize is beyond us.

As you say though, today and the Villa game are the kinda results a team who's en route to the t*tle tend to get.

grecian

I'm still living in a protective cocoon of pessimism, so when we're two down at home against a team in the reg zone I tend to think "Of ****ing course".

I never believed we'd be anywhere near the shake up this deep into the season and still deep down reckon the big prize is beyond us.

As you say though, today and the Villa game are the kinda results a team who's en route to the t*tle tend to get.
Yeah football is ****ing weird, I tend to believe more that you'll win the title from this win, then if you'd rightfully smoked them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good to see West Ham ****ed over, to think I used to semi-support them, Tory ****s, they'll probably get DiCanio into manage them next..
I’ve never quite got the fascination with West Ham. The media hoo-ha over Upton Park when they were leaving was bewildering. Maybe that’s the northerner in me, I dunno. Obviously Bobby Moore, Peters and Hurst etc great, but beyond that I’ve never understood the fuss.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The academy, isn't it? Apples and pears, the Kray twins, Ray Winstone, pie 'n' mash, pearly kings and queens, the Blind Beggar, Old Kent Road, farhking proper old school racism, costamongers, around the ol' Joanna, knees up, Chas 'n' Dave, Alf Garnett, silly old moo, ya dirty cowson, if you want some I'll give it yer, and gawd bless the Queen Mum.

grecian

I’ve never quite got the fascination with West Ham. The media hoo-ha over Upton Park when they were leaving was bewildering. Maybe that’s the northerner in me, I dunno. Obviously Bobby Moore, Peters and Hurst etc great, but beyond that I’ve never understood the fuss.
I'm not sure I've ever admitted it on here, but at one point I was almost as much an Iron as grecian, shamefully, i always did say I would want City to win if they met in the Cup.

It's odd really, when I was young, and remember football wasn't overtly trendy, I flitted from team to team as my other team, which seemed you had to have as a youngster probably supported a dozen clubs including things like Crystal palace because someone i was ought a tee-shirt that looked vaguly like their strip, but eventually I hit on west Ham, after 1980 I should say, as I don't like any of my teams to actually win owt obviously.

And yes Moore, Peters, Hurst mythology played a big part, but for some reason they seemed my other team perfectly for awhile, Brooking, who is probaly under-rated in this age, possibly due to being so dull as a commentator, and not being quite as good as Glenn Hoddle, but he really was a sumptuous footballer, Alan Devonshire too, maybe his surname had an effect, but he was poetry on the turf.

This bled into the season west ham were in the reckoning to win the 1st division on the final Saturday of the season in 85-86.

oh but then the fun began, insaniacs like diCanio, Dicks, and a huge amount of other mentalists for years meant they were super fun to watch, just a great carousel of amazing talent that underachieved, a team and squad of cult heroes. That Bradford match that will be probably played on sky in 0 years time as a piece of silly drama. Going to the pub to watch the early sky to see classics like the 4-3 victory over Spurs. Bishop, Moncur, Benayoun, the silky midfielders were always there, and FFS it was always glorious and stupid fun, then all the youngsters that went on to become regulars of title winners in other clubs

Moyes happened, not as simple as that obviously, but it changed the ethos of the club, and TBH I've been against them really since Sullivan et al took charge.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not sure I've ever admitted it on here, but at one point I was almost as much an Iron as grecian, shamefully, i always did say I would want City to win if they met in the Cup.

It's odd really, when I was young, and remember football wasn't overtly trendy, I flitted from team to team as my other team, which seemed you had to have as a youngster probably supported a dozen clubs including things like Crystal palace because someone i was ought a tee-shirt that looked vaguly like their strip, but eventually I hit on west Ham, after 1980 I should say, as I don't like any of my teams to actually win owt obviously.

And yes Moore, Peters, Hurst mythology played a big part, but for some reason they seemed my other team perfectly for awhile, Brooking, who is probaly under-rated in this age, possibly due to being so dull as a commentator, and not being quite as good as Glenn Hoddle, but he really was a sumptuous footballer, Alan Devonshire too, maybe his surname had an effect, but he was poetry on the turf.

This bled into the season west ham were in the reckoning to win the 1st division on the final Saturday of the season in 85-86.

oh but then the fun began, insaniacs like diCanio, Dicks, and a huge amount of other mentalists for years meant they were super fun to watch, just a great carousel of amazing talent that underachieved, a team and squad of cult heroes. That Bradford match that will be probably played on sky in 0 years time as a piece of silly drama. Going to the pub to watch the early sky to see classics like the 4-3 victory over Spurs. Bishop, Moncur, Benayoun, the silky midfielders were always there, and FFS it was always glorious and stupid fun, then all the youngsters that went on to become regulars of title winners in other clubs

Moyes happened, not as simple as that obviously, but it changed the ethos of the club, and TBH I've been against them really since Sullivan et al took charge.
Two of my favourite football memories involve West Ham, one a 5-2 win on a Friday night in 1992. Eight years old and that set up my expectations for football that have never come close to being matched as Nevin and Aldridge ripped them apart. Then in 1999 we beat them, Ferdinand, Lampard et all in the FA Cup third round. Great times. But to me they’re just a southern version of Everton, minus the league titles

grecian

Tbf I do like Bianca Westwood
Umm is she an Iron, not an huge fan myself gotta say

Do thing as a trivia saddo, the fact so many think West ham nicknames is the Hammers and their old ground was called Upton Park, made me like them more.

My thing is about West Ham is they were fun and entertaining for a long while, which TBF means any comparison to Everton is hugely unfair.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Umm is she an Iron, not an huge fan myself gotta say

Do thing as a trivia saddo, the fact so many think West ham nicknames is the Hammers and their old ground was called Upton Park, made me like them more
Yeah, she is, she’s good value on social media. Decent personality (and I mean she is attractive also, but many are, I find her funny)

grecian

Yeah, she is, she’s good value on social media. Decent personality (and I mean she is attractive also, but many are, I find her funny)
Maybe just find the Bantz between her and stelling a bit tiresome, but that's probably because I'm a miserable ****er.