• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Spark

Global Moderator
Also wouldn’t he have been out miles earlier had DRS been in place.
I honestly don't remember, mostly I'm just saying that the "big moment robbed" factor is way overblown as a negative when we get big moments anyway and the added bonus of, you know, correct decisions.

At least sometimes

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rugby is different imo. Especially with the advent of a highly active TMO (and clear communication between the refs and the viewing audience and crowd which is really one area where VAR has to go if it's to be at all workable IMO), you don't get that many uncorrected "mistakes". But with such a technical sport it does sometimes feels like the referee has brought out a completely different rulebook to what you're used to at times.
Yeah this is exactly it. The TMO is exceptionally well done, it's just that the problems with rugby refereeing can't be fixed with TMO. They come down to ambiguity in the the constantly-changing rules.

I'm enjoying it at the moment, largely because Ireland are playing such great rugby. But I wonder how compatible it is with modern player safety standards. Parts of the game are starting to look very strange.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely it does when it’s a tight run from a through ball etc. my inclination would be to celebrate more like when we get a penalty because you know the job isn’t done yet?

TRFC have only had one game with VAR and it came up trumps for us overturning a wrongly disallowed goal and giving us a penalty. But I’m glad we don’t have it.
Obviously you get used to it after a while but it is still really irritating at times and I really don't buy the whole 'you get to celebrate it twice' thing.

Opposition goals being disallowed is pretty great but often it just gives you a false hope which is pretty rubbish.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with both these points really reminds me of the 2009 Ashes, which people seem to forget was marred by DRS ****, but despite the horribleness, there were a number of real clangers overturned, which almost immediately got forgotten. Was just hideously umpired. Billy Doctrove and Rudi Koertzen I think.

Having said that the implentation of VAR in this country has been one of the great administration **** ups of our time, so fully understand why people want var to die in a ditch.
I cling on doggedly to the ideology that DRS should be more like VAR and whatever it is they call the video ref in Rugby and less like the Tennis umpire appeal where pejorative to use it lies with the officials and not the players

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I honestly don't remember, mostly I'm just saying that the "big moment robbed" factor is way overblown as a negative when we get big moments anyway and the added bonus of, you know, correct decisions.

At least sometimes
It's been a while since I watched the series but I'm pretty sure there was a blatant lbw turned down really early on in the final partnership.

HeathDavisSpeed

Anyone see this Chelsea red which was rescinded on VAR? The Grauniad saying that it was a clear red, but I'm not sure I trust their judgement.

grecian

It's been a while since I watched the series but I'm pretty sure there was a blatant lbw turned down really early on in the final partnership.
Yeah, but it was always pretty hard to tell back then, because the camera's weren't directly behind the arm, but I think there was one that looked plumb, and another that may have been given, in the Warne-Kasprowicz partnership I think. ll pure speculation though. Yet the Afact that they started putting camera's properly lined up, for entertaiment and viewing purposes meant that DRS became inevitable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cheers. Haha. Always pays to be suspicious of the Grauniad’s sports analysis.
Contact is made with the face but Ziyech's hand ricochets off the shoulder and catches him slightly, he doesn't deliberately strike the Spurs player in the face which is what saves him.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah, but it was always pretty hard to tell back then, because the camera's weren't directly behind the arm, but I think there was one that looked plumb, and another that may have been given, in the Warne-Kasprowicz partnership I think. ll pure speculation though. Yet the Afact that they started putting camera's properly lined up, for entertaiment and viewing purposes meant that DRS became inevitable.
There was no Warne-Kaspro partnership, Kaspro replaced Warne after he trod on his stumps.

Sky had already started introducing a form of Hawkeye which showed the lines of the stumps down the pitch. Kaspro was absolutely plumb, there were still 50 runs needed and it would've been game over well before there was any whinging about his hand not being on the bat.

Socerer 01

International Captain
It was never a red card. Ziyech shoved the Spurs player in the shoulder, which isn't violent conduct.
you don’t shove anybody in the shoulder, it was clear what his intent was and the man was looking sheepish throughout the entire process as he knew he ****ed up. should have been his 2nd yellow and off at least