• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jay Stansfield coming back is just everything, too good for us and this League, but the emotional attachment got him for a season, going to be a lot of tears on the big bank, I'd imagine.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I take it Celtic are winning then. Been watching the purple bin derby. Liverpool just not at the level of prior years yet are they.
They miss Mane so much.

Rangers getting torn a new one. Always likely as they are not that good anyway.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's nothing new; the Old Firm have dominated the game since the 1890s.

We've had 2 decently competitive eras in Scottish football where teams outside the 2 of us have regularly won trophies and funnily enough both period coincide with bad periods for one of the Old Firm; 1945-1965 where Rangers were the top team for the period but because Celtic were awful the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock and Dundee all won titles, and 1978-1986 where Rangers were poor, and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd had really good sides.

Where there's no challenge and one side of the Old Firm is in the doldrums (1988-1997, 2011-2020) then you get one side of the Old Firm dominating.

Champions League money isn't going to help either; both of us are going to get €15.6m in prize money. While Hearts are also in the Conference groups, the prize money in that competition is paltry in comparison; Hearts could win every group game, and win the entire tournament and they'll still pick up less in prize money than we make out the groups in the Champions League (and the Champions League figure is only €1.1m less than we made in prize money by reaching the Europa League final last season).

And you look at what's happening on the pitch; assuming there's no miracle and Celtic win today they've gone the equivalent of a full league season unbeaten against anyone, whereas excluding games against Celtic we've lost 1 of our last 74 league games. There's no competitive balance and short of getting a petrostate to invest in Aberdeen or one of the Edinburgh clubs I don't know what the solution is.

Aritro

International Regular
I really hate that they rule goals like that out
Hardly the most egregious example of that was it? There was actual clear space between the red line and the blue line. I think that's a fair enough intervention from VAR. As opposed to plenty in previous seasons where there was a bee's dick in it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hardly the most egregious example of that was it? There was actual clear space between the red line and the blue line. I think that's a fair enough intervention from VAR. As opposed to plenty in previous seasons where there was a bee's dick in it.
I hate everything about it. Nobody bats an eyelid about that being given pre-VAR. The comms take a look at it and go ‘oooh it’s close’ and then everyone moves on with their life.

Celebrating a goal is literally the greatest feeling in sport, it’s what makes football the king, and this nonsense ruins it.

If you have to look at it for more than 5 seconds to know if he’s offside, goal should stand. Must really suck as a fan at the game

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I hate everything about it. Nobody bats an eyelid about that being given pre-VAR. The comms take a look at it and go ‘oooh it’s close’ and then everyone moves on with their life.

Celebrating a goal is literally the greatest feeling in sport, it’s what makes football the king, and this nonsense ruins it.

If you have to look at it for more than 5 seconds to know if he’s offside, goal should stand. Must really suck as a fan at the game
Nah, it's the opposite. (Albeit my only experience of VAR is in UEFA club competition, this will probably change post World Cup when Scottish refs get their hands on VAR.)

speirz

State Vice-Captain

Honestly, I feel like it's the other way around. Pre-VAR it felt to me Iike any vaguely close call was scrutinised for an age in any media analysis and interviews of players and coaches, and the integrity or ability of the referee subsequently called into question far more often. Now I feel like listening to similar discussions they become much more concise and less inflammatory.

In my experience of being at the ground, it honestly makes zero difference to how you celebrate what you think is a goal. I've certainly got memories of going mental only to realise afterwards that there was a flag up that you didn't notice or a late whistle, VAR is just another part of that process to me. You might feel a little bit hollow or robbed after the call is changed, but as far as I'm concerned that's always been part of football.

Where it really struggles and could do with massive improvement for me is for the stoppages around red cards and penalty calls. It's improving, but there's still been the odd occasion where you're at the game and you have no idea what the game has been stopped for. And even worse, a red card or penalty might then be awarded and you've still got no idea why if the camera angle shown at the ground isn't obvious enough to indicate what you should be paying attention to.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People respond to it differently but it’s a big deal for me. When Sancho scored against Liverpool I completely lost my ****, when Rashford got a 2nd I just sat there thinking it was offside. Then when it’s confirmed it’s just nice, but absolutely not the same.

Most of the time football is just a bit frustrating to watch, it’s all about the highs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’ve only been at one game with VAR and they were all overturned decisions in our favour so I loved it but if we scored and had to wait it would have killed one of the best games I’ve been to in years.