• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, I'm not sure how slapping the ball off the head of Kane 2 yards out isn't denying a goalscoring opportunity.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just watched Celtic beat Dundee United 9-0. Was desperate to see a tenth as I've never seen one in club football. Alas the ref took pity on them and only added on a minute of stoppage time (after a 5 goal second half).

Ange Postecoglou's Celtic :wub:
I saw Tranmere beat Solihull 9-0 in 2017, and we missed a pen

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scott Parker wins the sack race then. Bit ridiculous sacking a guy just before the deadline. Guess Bournemouth are happy to go down.

Uppercut

Strange one, I think he's a pretty good manager and a heavy defeat away to Liverpool doesn't mean anything. But as always it depends who they replace him with.

Uppercut

Just noticed their other losses were to City and Arsenal and in their other game they beat Villa. Looks like a very strange sacking.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Reading the statement, suggests to me he’s been sacked for his comments rather than the results

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reading the statement, suggests to me he’s been sacked for his comments rather than the results
I presume he'll get his contract paid up, so that's some expensive hurt feelings from the chairman if you're right.

I thought Arbuckle was nailed on this year. Gone before Xmas though.

Himannv

International Coach
Man United overpay because the people running the club are incompetent *****.
I think the price goes up as soon as United are interested anyway. After that, it's down to the club whether they pay up and get their man or move on to other targets. In some cases they have moved on and in other cases they get the player they want.

I'm not sure why Chelsea don't get more flak for the same thing. The Gvardiol deal is much worse than the Antony one - he's not even going to play for them this season and he's costing €90m. Cucurella cost €60m and Fofana is an €80m defender apparently. That's one unusually expensive backline and there's a lot of unproven talent and questionable fits as well.

Last edited:

Boy_Blunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think the price goes up as soon as United are interested anyway. After that, it's down to the club whether they pay up and get their man or move on to other targets. In some cases they have moved on and in other cases they get the player they want.

I'm not sure why Chelsea don't get more flak for the same thing. The Gvardiol deal is much worse than the Antony one - he's not even going to play for them this season and he's costing €90m. Cucurella cost €60m and Fofana is an €80m defender apparently. That's one unusually expensive backline and there's a lot of unproven talent and questionable ones.
There is a United tax, but that's mainly down to the fact that they know they can take the piss with us because of our history of being incompetent *****. United are a bit of a joke in the football world really, look at how Dortmund treated us a few years back with Sancho.

We could have saved upwards of €50 million on Anthony and Martinez had we done the deals at the beginning of the transfer window instead of panicking towards the end.

Himannv

International Coach
We could have saved upwards of €50 million on Anthony and Martinez had we done the deals at the beginning of the transfer window instead of panicking towards the end.
I don't really believe that's so. I think United already tried signing Antony earlier in the window and failed. Perhaps they should have not changed their offer and let the player push for the move, but I doubt the deal would have happened in the end and Ajax only sold the player because their finance people got involved and made it happen in the end against the wishes of their football people.

I agree they overpaid for Martinez and could have explored alternates and let the player push for the move more.

I think United made the right decision to not sign Sancho in that window. Where I think they failed miserably was on the PR side. They stayed too quiet and let the pressure build on themselves when they could have released news briefs on alternate targets or something that didn't make them seem so desperate. They almost did the same thing on FDJ this season so they still haven't learned their lesson.

Boy_Blunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't really believe that's so. I think United already tried signing Antony earlier in the window and failed. Perhaps they should have not changed their offer and let the player push for the move, but I doubt the deal would have happened in the end and Ajax only sold the player because their finance people got involved and made it happen in the end against the wishes of their football people.

I agree they overpaid for Martinez and could have explored alternates and let the player push for the move more.

I think United made the right decision to not sign Sancho in that window. Where I think they failed miserably was on the PR side. They stayed too quiet and let the pressure build on themselves when they could have released news briefs on alternate targets or something that didn't make them seem so desperate. They almost did the same thing on FDJ this season so they still haven't learned their lesson.
I think you're giving United way too much credit. At the beginning of this summer we decided not to pursue other targets because the transfer budget wasn't great and we wanted to get FDJ done first, then see how much money was left. The FDJ situation has turned out to be extremely messy, so we went after other targets, only to find the price had gone up.

In May/June Timber/Martinez were available for €35 mill and Anthony €65 mill. But as the window went on and more players left, Ajax no longer wanted to sell those players so the price went up.

And don't even start on the Sancho scenario. They did not decide not to sign Sancho. They tried to play hardball with Dortmund and ignored the warnings that they would not sell him after the deadline. They assumed if they pressured them and waited them out then Dortmund would cave and give in to United's price. Only too late did United realise they'd ****ed up and then panic bought an injury prone Cavani; and Pellestri and Amad who've never really been given a chance. They did the whole thing with briefs about other players in that window too. We were linked with plenty of alternatives including Leon Bailey and Sarr.

The people incharge of footballing decisions at United just aren't football people and don't know what they're doing. As a result we're **** at transfers.

Uppercut

The journalists with links to Ajax stated that they'd have accepted much less for Anthony earlier in the window. It makes sense because losing him on 30th August after already letting a lot of players go is a massive pain in the arse for them.