• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Doesn't look good for Walker. Thought he was at it with the rolling around but his left foot gets caught in the turf.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This sort of thuggery is a throwback to the World Club Championship in the 60's when the South American Champions kicked lumps out of the Europeans. In those days it all happened off the ball as well with no protection from the referees or lots of cameras around.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This sort of thuggery is a throwback to the World Club Championship in the 60's when the South American Champions kicked lumps out of the Europeans. In those days it all happened off the ball as well with no protection from the referees or lots of cameras around.
That was the Argentine way back in those days. There was a mini world cup in the 1960s involving Brazil, Argentina, England and, I think Portugal. Pele was getting heartily sick of being kicked all over the park by the Argentine players that he eventually decided to rearrange the nasal features of one of his opponents and just walked off before the referee got round to sending him off. The refereeing in this games was laughably weak. When Celtic were involved in their 1967 battle with Racing Club, Bertie Auld was sent off but refused to go and played the rest of the match regardless. The 1968 match between Man Utd and Estudiantes is legendary in these shores, but AC Milan had it even worse against the same opponents 12 months later. So bad that some of the Estudiantes players even faced criminal charges in their own country. I think the inter-continental match-up between the European and South American champions was abandoned after that one.

You may remember the Celtic vs Athletico Madrid European Cup semi-final in 1974. AM were managed by the same guy who had managed Argentina in 1966 and their side contained a few of his compatriots. Probably the dirtiest match I have ever seen, with AM picking up 3 red cards and another five players with yellow cards. Apparently the referee had to replace his notebook at half time because it was already full.

I haven't seen the highlights yet, but I'd guess that last night's shenanigans didn't come close.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The bizarre thing is Atleti had City on the ropes for a lot of the 2nd half (albeit without creating loads of clear cut chances), and there was a definite nervousness to City's defensive play the longer it went on.

They completely lost their heads, at a time where they and the crowd had a shot at putting City under massive pressure.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bizarre thing is Atleti had City on the ropes for a lot of the 2nd half (albeit without creating loads of clear cut chances), and there was a definite nervousness to City's defensive play the longer it went on.

They completely lost their heads, at a time where they and the crowd had a shot at putting City under massive pressure.
Yeah a bit of mental instability is kind of necessary to play the way they do, but they go overboard pretty frequently these days. They have some properly good players now too, you wonder if they even need to play this way. But then they are Spanish champions, maybe I’m losing track of how remarkable that is given where they were when Simeone took over.

The 2014 iteration of Atletico was easily the best. Epitome of disciplined aggression.

Uppercut

What's not to love about a team being truly unhinged? It's great. They're ****ing mental.
100%. All of my best footballing experiences involve beating teams of complete nutters who took it really badly. Even better if it’s in controversial circumstances.

What I don’t like about Atletico isn’t so much their madness, it’s how painfully bad they are at attacking.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah a bit of mental instability is kind of necessary to play the way they do, but they go overboard pretty frequently these days. They have some properly good players now too, you wonder if they even need to play this way. But then they are Spanish champions, maybe I’m losing track of how remarkable that is given where they were when Simeone took over.

The 2014 iteration of Atletico was easily the best. Epitome of disciplined aggression.
Yeah they have better players than they did then, at least going forward anyway.

It might be the equivalent of someone with a beautiful cover drive or something but Felix just looks so good whenever I watch him, even when he actually does very little. He should probably move somewhere else.

flibbertyjibber

They are the epitome of the manager, he was nuts as a player and is nuts as a manager. Sometimes his antics worked like with Beckham and other times he lost the plot himself. Glad City got through.

As for tonight, Leicester superb, West Ham and Rangers halfway there and Barcelona ?