• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was musing over the idea of doing a Premiership draft as well tbh. Particularly over the period of 95 to 05 (ish).

(i.e. when Arsenal were good, lol)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a bit cliche but they lack a bit of the Klopp mentality these days. Though I'm prepared to let them off today given they had no fans, key players injured/not fit yet, and were playing their third game in 10 days after a two month break
Yeah, also this Bayern side are very impressive and they should have had a penalty in the second half. But generally speaking there's definitely a bit of "Lads, it's Dortmund" about them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Seen on Twitter that there's only been 3 home wins out of 22 games.

Too small a sample size to draw a meaningful conclusion and I haven't looked at the fixtures to see whether that might be expected for these rounds of fixtures but if the trend continues then it's pretty interesting.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I could maybe do the Prem draft but probably not. Definitely out on the WC draft, didn't really start following football until 2002-ish and it was still impossible for me to watch games regularly until 2007-9ish.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I could maybe do the Prem draft but probably not. Definitely out on the WC draft, didn't really start following football until 2002-ish and it was still impossible for me to watch games regularly until 2007-9ish.
Dw. I'd give you tips on all the best picks (e.g. Shaun Goater).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The only tournaments I have good knowledge on are 2014, 2016 and 2018. Didn't follow football much during the 2010 and 2012 ones and was pretty young for the 04-08 stretch (the first tournaments I can remember). So you probably won't be the worst.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hearts have put forward a restructuring of the Scottish leagues for no other reason than to save themselves from relegation and it’s going to be discussed. If I was in charge I would pass the motion but relegate them anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have some sympathy for this naked self-interest for various clubs in dire straits, yes you can be pious and say with all that's going on you should just except the somewhat arbitray decisions of various leagues, but if your financial survival in tese times may hinge on it, perhaps I'd hope we'd go down that route.

The fact is though, hard to see how Division 3 or division 4 will make or break our club, and if we do get play-offs out of it, that will be some cash, yet just don't think it would be worth the fight, even if they promote the top 4 and we stay down.

Again, the main thing is to try to make next season feasible in the lower Legues. Oh and btw I have NFI how they are going to do that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have some sympathy for this naked self-interest for various clubs in dire straits, yes you can be pious and say with all that's going on you should just except the somewhat arbitray decisions of various leagues, but if your financial survival in tese times may hinge on it, perhaps I'd hope we'd go down that route.

The fact is though, hard to see how Division 3 or division 4 will make or break our club, and if we do get play-offs out of it, that will be some cash, yet just don't think it would be worth the fight, even if they promote the top 4 and we stay down.

Again, the main thing is to try to make next season feasible in the lower Legues. Oh and btw I have NFI how they are going to do that.
Doesn't seem like anyone, including those calling the shots, does tbh.

Seems to be one of those topics that everyone is putting on the back-burner in the futile hope it will somehow resolve itself, not wanting to be the first one to grasp the nettle.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

I was actually quite impressed with the EFL last week as they seemed to make a firm decision that relegation and promotion would stand as intended and the clubs would only vote on whether to end the season now on PPG or carry on playing. The rights and wrongs could be discussed all day, it was just the fact they made a decision that was surprising. A week on I'm not so sure that they did. Whilst I don't take the view that because thousands of people are dying football doesn't matter (it's not as if people giving up on their pleasures will save lives), I think some of the efforts of some clubs in League One are unsavoury to say the least. Port Vale got a lot of kudos in League 2 for voting to end the season when they're one point and one place off the Play Offs, but it's more relevant that playing five home games with no fans would have bankrupt them. It's the likes of Peterborough, Portsmouth and the handful of the wealthier clubs in League One that I find a bit wretched. The suggestion that clubs who can afford it should play on and those that can't should forfeit the points goes beyond self-serving. It's endangering the other clubs survival, and some are hanging by a thread already.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was actually quite impressed with the EFL last week as they seemed to make a firm decision that relegation and promotion would stand as intended and the clubs would only vote on whether to end the season now on PPG or carry on playing. The rights and wrongs could be discussed all day, it was just the fact they made a decision that was surprising. A week on I'm not so sure that they did. Whilst I don't take the view that because thousands of people are dying football doesn't matter (it's not as if people giving up on their pleasures will save lives), I think some of the efforts of some clubs in League One are unsavoury to say the least. Port Vale got a lot of kudos in League 2 for voting to end the season when they're one point and one place off the Play Offs, but it's more relevant that playing five home games with no fans would have bankrupt them. It's the likes of Peterborough, Portsmouth and the handful of the wealthier clubs in League One that I find a bit wretched. The suggestion that clubs who can afford it should play on and those that can't should forfeit the points goes beyond self-serving. It's endangering the other clubs survival, and some are hanging by a thread already.
My lot can probably afford it but want the season ending. With the loss of gate receipts and all the corporate hospitality they sell through the year the chief executive has said that if no fans are in by the new year it would cost the club around £2m in total. Good job we made about £4m in transfers a couple of years ago and had good cup runs in each of the last 2 seasons. If not we'd be stuffed. The way Peterborough fans and members of the club are moaning about it they will quickly become public enemy number 1 next season.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My lot can probably afford it but want the season ending. With the loss of gate receipts and all the corporate hospitality they sell through the year the chief executive has said that if no fans are in by the new year it would cost the club around £2m in total. Good job we made about £4m in transfers a couple of years ago and had good cup runs in each of the last 2 seasons. If not we'd be stuffed. The way Peterborough fans and members of the club are moaning about it they will quickly become public enemy number 1 next season.
I think in general League 2 clubs can't afford to carry on the season. League 1 is an unhealthy mix of rich and poor. The top 2 will certainly want to end the season now. Probably 3rd to maybe 10th would like to carry on. After that only really Tranmere have a vested interested in carrying on. The bottom two are so far adrift that any ruling that involves playing on would be pointless.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think in general League 2 clubs can't afford to carry on the season. League 1 is an unhealthy mix of rich and poor. The top 2 will certainly want to end the season now. Probably 3rd to maybe 10th would like to carry on. After that only really Tranmere have a vested interested in carrying on. The bottom two are so far adrift that any ruling that involves playing on would be pointless.

Over in the Championship Leeds and the other top 6 clubs have made a big deal of wanting to play to the finish. Leeds especially among the first to say they don't want promotion handed to them on a silver platter.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem with these richer clubs like Sunderland and Pompey whining and also whining about potential salary caps, is that if they weren't hugely mismanaged, with their riches you shouldn't be in these divisions, maybe you are the teams that could benefit, from Salary Caps so you could start running your clubs in sane manner. Oh and generally not a dig, but Plymouth could come under that umbrella, apparently the owners have spent masses, if you listen to them, MK Dons another, all spunking money on potential, which may never arise.

Then if these clubs ever did get in the Prem, or back in it, they maybe a well-run club able to use the mass resources of that League and crowds, to become regulars in the top half.

Oh and that Posh chairman has always been a bit of a knob on Twitter, so not surprised at them.