• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or playing time. I don't think he'd be as assured of a starting spot as he would be at United.
I think he's plenty good enough to walk into either team. Could get phased out if Rashford+Martial or Sterling+Sane keep improving but not sure there's more chance of that happening at City.

Playing time concerns might rule out Liverpool though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Vale Cyrille Regis. At 59 ffs.

At his peak, he was an exhilarating sight. And of course, being one of the pioneer black players in the late 1970s and early 1980s meant he had to take no end of abuse and threats from the ignorant ***** in the NF and beyond. Apparently he was an absolute gentleman. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm so ****ing gutted man. Anyone who's posted in these threads for any amount of time knows how much I love him. We've been in for him 3(!!) separate times over the years and this time has broken me. I've never wanted a player to join City more. I'm not angry at the club as I completely understand why they weren't going to match that absurdity but man, it stings.
You have Leroy Sané.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Vale Cyrille Regis. At 59 ffs.

At his peak, he was an exhilarating sight. And of course, being one of the pioneer black players in the late 1970s and early 1980s meant he had to take no end of abuse and threats from the ignorant ***** in the NF and beyond. Apparently he was an absolute gentleman. Thoughts and prayers with his family.
West Brom?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Actually think Sterling and Sane are better Pep wingers than Alexis, but he would've been great as their centre forward. Closest thing he'd have had to Messi since leaving Barca. Would've been really interesting to watch him play in that team in that role as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
West Brom?
During his peak years, but as Fibberty said, he also played elsewhere. The cup win with Coventry was, I think, the only trophy he ever won, but he wasn't quite the same player by then.

One of the all time great matches was West Brom's 5-3 win at Old Trafford circa 1978. Regis and Cunningham were both outstanding, with the latter riding the monkey chants as easily as he rode the attempted tackles from the MU defenders. The commentator deserves some kudos for actually drawing attention to the obscenities at a time when most pretended not to hear it. Regis' five caps was laughable in an age when the centre forward position was dominated by guys like Latchford and Mariner; worthy enough pros, but not a patch on Big Cyrille. I suppose the point about that era is that it saw the first generation of black English players, whereas guys like Clyde Best and Albert Johanssen were from elsewhere. Their courage in the face of widespread hostility was extraordinary.

Here's the Man Utd vs West Brom match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII
As it happens, Cunningham was probably he outstanding player on this occasion, but it provides a flavour of what Regis could do. Terribly sad to think that neither Cunningham or Regis is still with us.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
During his peak years, but as Fibberty said, he also played elsewhere. The cup win with Coventry was, I think, the only trophy he ever won, but he wasn't quite the same player by then.

One of the all time great matches was West Brom's 5-3 win at Old Trafford circa 1978. Regis and Cunningham were both outstanding, with the latter riding the monkey chants as easily as he rode the attempted tackles from the MU defenders. The commentator deserves some kudos for actually drawing attention to the obscenities at a time when most pretended not to hear it. Regis' five caps was laughable in an age when the centre forward position was dominated by guys like Latchford and Mariner; worthy enough pros, but not a patch on Big Cyrille. I suppose the point about that era is that it saw the first generation of black English players, whereas guys like Clyde Best and Albert Johanssen were from elsewhere. Their courage in the face of widespread hostility was extraordinary.

Here's the Man Utd vs West Brom match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII
As it happens, Cunningham was probably he outstanding player on this occasion, but it provides a flavour of what Regis could do. Terribly sad to think that neither Cunningham or Regis is still with us.
Did he go to Villa before retiring?

flibbertyjibber

Did he go to Villa before retiring?
Villa, Wolves, Wycombe and Chester after he left Coventry.

Saw him play against Salop for Chester or Wycombe, can't remember now which one it was.

His cousin is John the former 200m runner.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Straight swap with Alexis and Mkhitaryan who Mourinho is desperate to get rid of and who wants to be our highest paid player.

Basically doing United's business for them. I feel sick.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you get Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan and Malcolm then that is about as good as you could hope for form this situation I reckon.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah would be amazing but Ornstein said we're unlikely to get all three, and I'd rather have the 20 year old than the guy who is basically United's deadwood (even though I used to quite like the player).

Uppercut

Yeah would be amazing but Ornstein said we're unlikely to get all three, and I'd rather have the 20 year old than the guy who is basically United's deadwood (even though I used to quite like the player).
Yeah so so many disastrous signings are 28-29 year-old out-of-form attackers bought in the hope of getting them back to where they were.