• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I look forward to Mourinho congratulating Arsene on the first trophy of the season.....

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Can't remember if we usually do a prediction thread or not, but here goes.

Premier League
Champions: City
Top four: Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool
Relegated: Huddersfield, Burnley, Brighton
Top Scorer: Kane
Assists: de Bruyne
Player of the season: de Bruyne
Other: One of Conte or Benitez to walk before Christmas

Other
Champions League: PSG
Europa League: Arsenal
FA Cup: Spurs
League Cup: Liverpool
Other: Two English sides will reach the Champions League semi finals

Don't know enough about the lower leagues (others can add them) but Brentford will pip Villa to the playoffs and Tranmere will go up.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Actually flirted with having Chelsea 5th or 6th but I predicted them that last season and the won the thing so I'd rather save myself the potential embarrassment again.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think its silly predicting this before the end of the window tbh. If we go in as is I don't think we'd be favourites. Only have two strikers, and one of the is a perpetually injured Sergio Aguero

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Would imagine CB depth is a bigger worry for you tbh. I'm sure Pep could still form a good attack without either Aguero or Jesus.

Get the thing about the window but I hate doing the predictions after the season has started. Feels like cheating.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Would imagine CB depth is a bigger worry for you tbh. I'm sure Pep could still form a good attack without either Aguero or Jesus.

Get the thing about the window but I hate doing the predictions after the season has started. Feels like cheating.
I don't think we're going to sign another CB tbh. Will see a lot of Mendy and Danillo in there IMO. You could manufacture an attack, but we were awful in front of goal last year and Sane/Sterling aren't exactly marksmen.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aguero+Jesus for one position is crazy strong imo.

I think the big weakness is their stockpile of hopeless CBs. I'd have them as big favourites anyway and if Kompany keeps his body halfway together then everyone else is in serious trouble.

Champions: City
Top four: Spurs, United, Chelsea
Relegated: Huddersfield, Burnley, Brighton
Top Scorer: Lukaku
Assists: Eriksen
Player of the season: de Bruyne
Other: Everton to drop out of the top 8

Other
Champions League: Real Madrid
Europa League: AC Milan
FA/League Cup: don't care
Other: Monaco to keep it together pretty well despite losing their whole team

Wolves, Middlesbrough and Fulham to go up from the Championship.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll do the whole prediction thingy after the window, but as of now I think we get back in the top four.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They will mostly play together, and Aguero will miss serious time as he does every season. We sold Kelechi to Leicester, we literally have no backup.
You think they'll play together a lot? I know they did it a bit at the end of last season but I figured they'd go back to that weird formation with Silva and KDB both as 8s.

Tend to trust Pep to work something out anyway.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Premier League
Champions: Man United
Top four: City, Chelsea, Liverpool
Relegated: Huddersfield, Burnley, Swansea
Top Scorer: Kane
Assists: Pogba
Player of the season: Pogba
Other: Costa ends up in France
Other
Champions League: Juventus
Europa League: Totenham
FA Cup: Arsenal
League Cup: Liverpool
Other: No Spanish teams will make the semis of the champions league

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
They will definitely play together a lot. Pep is the one who's a) stated this and b) been clamoring for a new forward. It may not be Sanchez or Mbappe, but I just don't think they would've sold both Nolito and Iheanacho without aiming to bring in another proven goalscorer. Sergio will miss some games and Jesus is very young, if we start games with Sterling up front this season we are very much in trouble.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah looks like you've played some games in a sort of 3-5-2 with Aguero/Jesus up top from what I've seen. Does better explain the Alexis pursuit as he wouldn't fit anywhere near as well in the 4-3-3. Think KDB could play as a 9 too. Not his best position obviously but think he'd probably be a better fit than Fabregas/Götze and some of the others Pep has used.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah looks like you've played some games in a sort of 3-5-2 with Aguero/Jesus up top from what I've seen. Does better explain the Alexis pursuit as he wouldn't fit anywhere near as well in the 4-3-3. Think KDB could play as a 9 too. Not his best position obviously but think he'd probably be a better fit than Fabregas/Götze and some of the others Pep has used.
After spending a large chunk of last season "moaning" about our poor conversion rates in front of goal, I really doubt Pep sees KDB as the answer as a false 9. In fact, none of our attacking midfield/wide players are good finishers, Sane, Sterling and KDB are all wasteful in front of goal. Maybe he has more faith in the young guys like Foden than I do, but looking at the depth chart makes me nervous.