• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isn't that called being a cheating ****?
Well yeah. It's evident from how his teams play that he's always held the view that any and all cheating is fine if you don't get caught, he's just getting progressively more open about it.

Definitely hoping for a Citeh win on Sunday, first time in a while I'll be backing them in this fixture. If Chelsea strike a run of poor results now we could see the Mourinho regime implode like it did in 2007, which would be great news for all concerned.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As much as in the wrong Mourinho is; her post on social media afterwards probably wasn't the wisest thing. If she was getting a bit of heat before it; she was always gonna be fired after that post.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Console yourself with the money that you are getting for Gray. Unbelievable that the headless chicken we released as a teenager is going for such a fee. Great story, not jealous, actually delighted for the lad. He should be used as a role model for any kid who doesn't make it at their first club. Shows what hard work can bring you.
Yeah, I would have been happy with 5-6 million at the start of the summer, 9 if it happens is crazy but just another example of the amount of money in English football, the Premier League league money can really be felt in the Championship as well now. Want it sorted already though as it has been dragging on way too long already, Hull seem totally inept.

cpr

International Coach
I don't think anyone's accusing Jose of being ***ist, just disrespectful, and the media have picked up on her angle as it sells far more to the predominantly male fan.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Friday Night Premier League action, what's the general opinion of this in England?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Friday Night Premier League action, what's the general opinion of this in England?
It's only happening because the police are all at an EDL march in Birmingham tomorrow. I'd imagine the general opinion is that it shouldn't happen, because that's the general opinion of any change ever suggested in English football.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Eh, something of nothing really. Less inclined to watch it than I would be if it was on at the weekend, but I doubt I would watch it then either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's only happening because the police are all at an EDL march in Birmingham tomorrow. I'd imagine the general opinion is that it shouldn't happen, because that's the general opinion of any change ever suggested in English football.
Eh, is is true, I mean I don't doubt that's why this fixture has moved but they definitely announced last season that they would be doing it

Pothas is right anyway, been televised lower league games on a Friday night since the football league went on Sky around 96. Before that, Friday night was Tranmere night. We used to play most of our home games on a Fri so we could get more reds and blues through the gate

There are always calls for us to bring it back, but I wouldn't really welcome a widespread return to Fridays for many reasons.

- The weekend always feels empty when your team isn't playing. Like how prem fans feel on international weekends I guess
- Midweek night games are a necessarily evil, but a right ballache if you have a commute of any distance and/or take kids the game. I do both, but adding Fridays to the mix just adds to the nuisance of it all
- As above but worse for away fans. The English motorways are beyond on evil from about 1pm on a Friday (United fans are apparently discovering this today sigh the M6 shut from J6-7 and tailing back either side of both, though I'd have bought the best way to get to Brum on a Friday as United fan would be to take the M40 from London but hey ho)
- Awkward if you already have a lot of midweek games. Tues-Fri is the same recovery in theory as Sat-Tues but when you factor in the late travel for midweek games then this is an issue. I'd say this one more prevalent for Prem clubs who could play CL on a Tues, though I guess they'll avoid these games on those weeks

As a neutral though, it's great. If you take a selfish view, live footy on a Friday night is great whether you're out in the pub or just chilling at home. And a lot of the points about fan convenience etc, well they probably aren't any more awkward than it is for a 12.45 kick off or a 5.30 on a weekend night when trains may stop early

sorry for the ramble was never meant to be a long post

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Last week's game was a Friday night and it was brilliant. Only downside is 9 days between games but that's because we're playing so well at the moment.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Last week's game was a Friday night and it was brilliant. Only downside is 9 days between games but that's because we're playing so well at the moment.
I should say, I do enjoy them, just wouldn't want to go back to having them all the time

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Friday Night football was done when Sky first had the deal I think. Didn't work, if I remember rightly. Yet a long time since then.

I'm personally in favour, nowadays, don't think I was then as I was generally doing, or more like failing to do other stuff on a Friday night.

Yet we definitely live in a different age, more pubs have TV's,but a lot more people find it a lot more expensive to go out. For instance the price for a pint in a pub in the late 80s early nineties was practically the same as buying a can. Amazingly the price of the cans haven't changed much, in fact in some ways you can get a decent premier 4-pack of cider or lager in LiDLs for well under what it would cost you in any pub for one pint, and probably more than half-price of non-Wetherspoon-type pubs.

Okay that was an incredibly dull tale of an alcoholics change of lifestyle, but I think it gives an idea why more people might be willing to stay home nowadays.

Oh and I quite enjoyed our experiences of doing it the last couple of seasons, because night-matches are just so much more fun.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good point on cans. If you look around you can get decent brands for less than £3. I'm happy these days with £3.50 for a pint.