• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Why on earth wouldn't they?
Many times making it a bigger issue, attracts more attention. In terms of things thrown also in general (though this is racism.)

I was saying just saying that i hope Spanish authorities don't brush it under the carpet just because game carried on as normal without a **** being given.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
As it stands it looks like Chelsea's style was ultimately too defensive to rack up as many points against **** teams as Liverpool or Citeh did. So maybe there should be more of a media focus on that. He's getting too much.
Is this really a thing? I think they may arguably struggle to break teams down who sit back themselves, but isn't that more of a problem to do with ability and skill rather than tactics and game plan? They had 30 shots against West Ham. When has them being too defensive really hurt them this season?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Suarez. <3

Full credit to Bourinho btw. Can't stand him, or his tactics, but he's a flipping managerial genius. :)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this really a thing? I think they may arguably struggle to break teams down who sit back themselves, but isn't that more of a problem to do with ability and skill rather than tactics and game plan? They had 30 shots against West Ham. When has them being too defensive really hurt them this season?
It's not that, it's that he's built a defensive team. If they spent more time in training practising passing and moving into space, and less time practising keeping a tight defensive structure, they'd probably have found a way through in more of those games.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say my contempt for Luke Shaw is become irrational but it's really not, it's not even close to being an equal reaction to the media love-in. I look forward to him being a quality player in the next 1-14 years like it looks like he probably will but right now, meh.

Is genuinely the 4th best English left back atm.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How on earth is Ryan Lowe not in the League 1 team? 20 goals in a team at the bottom if the league. Disgrace.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It's karma for the time his suspiciously bad backpass gifted Chelsea the title when they were chasing it vs. United.
Haha first thing I thought of too. Definitely a contributory factor to why it would be so perfect if it costs them. Sadly I suspect it won't do as it might be too perfect.

Well Liverpool apparently had 26 shots today.

Shots statistics don't mean much if they're all from far out, which Liverpool's were and Chelsea's often have been against the lesser teams. I agree with Uppercut, in fact I said it I think on here a couple of months ago. Leagues always favour the more attacking side.

I think Chelsea are the best team in the league tbh in the sense of I would make them favourites in a one off game on neutral ground against anyone else but they're not the best side as far as winning the league is concerned because Liverpool and City dick the small sides 5-0 and Chelsea (usually) don't, which gives them less margin for error.

EDIT: Didn't really realise I was going off on a bit of a tangent here. I do think that a lot of their failure to break down teams is due to negative tactics as when you watch them attacking, even against sides they should be beating, they don't exactly commit lots of men forward. Makes it far harder to create if there are less players up to create for, and forces a lot more shots from distance etc.

Few weeks old, but still interesting. Know a lot here aren't a fan of "stats" but come on.

View attachment 21284

Reckon Terry, Skirtel, Davies and Mertesacker have had better seasons than Kompany as well. Really proves it's mostly reputation based.
I agree with the point you're making (Koscielny > Kompany this season) and I agree stats can be helpful but quite a lot of them will favour the defender in the side that has to defend more. I mean I'd assume that the average Sunderland defender has made more clearances than the average Citeh defender for instance.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I doubt it. The only other time I can recall it being won on goal difference was Arsenal in 1989, but I think they were a point or two clear when they won it in 1991.

Slipping into pedant mode, I think it was goal average rather than goal difference until the 1970s, so I reckon City would be the first.
Speaking of pedantry, one feels obliged to point out The Arse actually won it in 1989 on goals scored, as our goal diff was the same as the Scousers' after Mickey Thomas's late, late moment of genius.

Obviously Gerrard is (rightly) going to carry the can for the eff up, but it should be noted that it came from a square ball played across their own goal. That's just schoolboy, day one, "how not to defend" stuff, isn't it?

Anyway, if it means Rodgers doesn't win the title it's all gravy.#stillanuttermoron

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If Liverpool lose the title it is down to our defence. A **** up like Gerrard's can happen to any player but the defence has consistently let us down in a lot of games where we should have either won or won by more - which would have helped our GD, if not our points total, greatly.

Anyway, I don't subscribe to the "tactical genius" nonsense. When Mourinho did it against City I'd probably have agreed because they actually still attacked and had more and better chances than City. In this game they weren't even trying. They got lucky because of the mistake and the 2nd goal came at the end when we were throwing the kitchen sink at them. The defensive stuff doesn't grate, but the borderline cheating with feigning injuries and wasting time (from the very first minute, literally) does. That he had a go at Allardyce for the same exact tactics just makes him out to be an even bigger joke than he already is.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If Liverpool lose the title it is down to our defence. A **** up like Gerrard's can happen to any player but the defence has consistently let us down in a lot of games where we should have either won or won by more - which would have helped our GD, if not our points total, greatly.
True but it's not really the point. That's not how history will remember it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking of pedantry, one feels obliged to point out The Arse actually won it in 1989 on goals scored, as our goal diff was the same as the Scousers' after Mickey Thomas's late, late moment of genius.

Obviously Gerrard is (rightly) going to carry the can for the eff up, but it should be noted that it came from a square ball played across their own goal. That's just schoolboy, day one, "how not to defend" stuff, isn't it?

Anyway, if it means Rodgers doesn't win the title it's all gravy.#stillanuttermoron[/I]

Anyone who watched an episode of the turgid "Being Liverpool" would have to agree

I find it hard to support Liverpool no matter who they play as his face just reminds me of some of the babble he spewed during that series

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the pass, or the tactics, etc. He was fine even after failing to control the ball, but the slip was fatal.

A lapse in concentration and an accident, nothing more.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the pass, or the tactics, etc. He was fine even after failing to control the ball, but the slip was fatal.

A lapse in concentration and an accident, nothing more.
99/100 nothing will come of balls passed across the goal one's defending, but why leave oneself a hostage of fortune?

If it doubt and all that.