• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also hate the Mourinho 'masterclass' stuff. His record in big games is amazing, but ****ing hell he did not plan Gerrard doing what he did.
You do fancy Liverpool to gift you a goal at some stage over 90 minutes though. It's just hilarious that it was Gerrard, if that costs them the title it's up there with Terry's CL final penalty as the best thing to ever happen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, two more wins for Atleti and the Barca game is irrelevant. Incredible.

Good to know Stevie G is still a Chelsea fan :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also hate the Mourinho 'masterclass' stuff. His record in big games is amazing, but ****ing hell he did not plan Gerrard doing what he did.
Usually agree but it must have been some effort (didn't watch it) considering they didn't play their two usual centre backs, their first choice goalie was out, as was their best offensive player and Liverpool have been remnant the last couple of months and had what must feel like the whole country gunning for them.

Uppercut

It's karma for the time his suspiciously bad backpass gifted Chelsea the title when they were chasing it vs. United.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Usually agree but it must have been some effort (didn't watch it) considering they didn't play their two usual centre backs, their first choice goalie was out, as was their best offensive player and Liverpool have been remnant the last couple of months and had what must feel like the whole country gunning for them.
Yeah for sure, they defended really but it was not in anyway inventive, nothing that Pulis or Allardyce could not plan. Mourinho is brilliant at executing it and I am not going to pretend otherwise, his record against big clubs is stupidly good but he is not on some kind of different tactical level to other managers.

Basically I am just bitter and hate when that approach to a game works even when it is totally warranted.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Did Chelsea ever look like scoring before the Gerrard mistake? Can't help but feel it shouldn't be too hard to not concede when Chelsea play like that and you don't have to win (which Liverpool didn't). Did Liverpool kind of get their approach wrong? I mean Atletico were never troubled on Tuesday.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did Chelsea ever look like scoring before the Gerrard mistake? Can't help but feel it shouldn't be too hard to not concede when Chelsea play like that and you don't have to win (which Liverpool didn't). Did Liverpool kind of get their approach wrong? I mean Atletico were never troubled on Tuesday.
There was a chance from a corner not long before but it was certainly nothing like Real v Bayern.

Liverpool did not do an awful lot wrong before the goal, just failed to create enough after it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Few weeks old, but still interesting. Know a lot here aren't a fan of "stats" but come on.

Bi7g9uVIAAAvOGx.jpg

Reckon Terry, Skirtel, Davies and Mertesacker have had better seasons than Kompany as well. Really proves it's mostly reputation based.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Good on him in one sense, but IMO it's pretty dumb to eat something that was just thrown at you by a bunch of people who hate your guts.

Uppercut

Yeah for sure, they defended really but it was not in anyway inventive, nothing that Pulis or Allardyce could not plan. Mourinho is brilliant at executing it and I am not going to pretend otherwise, his record against big clubs is stupidly good but he is not on some kind of different tactical level to other managers.

Basically I am just bitter and hate when that approach to a game works even when it is totally warranted.
As it stands it looks like Chelsea's style was ultimately too defensive to rack up as many points against **** teams as Liverpool or Citeh did. So maybe there should be more of a media focus on that. He's getting too much

But in terms of stuff like game planning, team selection and substitutions I think he's very much on a different level to other managers. That's maybe just as much because managers are generally bad at that side of the game though. I think of some of his good decisions, like when Nani was sent off and he replaced Arbeloa with Modric, and it's a really obvious, simple change. But then you look at PL managers and how many would have thought of it? Moyes was probably the best of the rest at Everton and at United he invariably got similarly simple decisions horribly wrong.

Uppercut

Also should say that Gerrard's mistake isn't unconnected to tactics. Chelsea would be very unlikely to give away a goal like that because they sit so deep and try not to hold onto the ball for too long.