• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not a sacking club is a stupid thing to say about any club, of course they weren't a sacking club when they had whisky breath. I hate the modern treatment of managers but in this case it's the right decision for Man U and the wrong one for everyone else. It's like when we had Barnes; ordinarily I'd never advocate sacking someone new to a job before Xmas but sometimes you just know they ain't up to it.
Yep I never got where this "not a sacking club" thing came from, given it was 24 years since it had been up for discussion. How are we an anything club exactly? And pre-Ferguson it's not exactly like we gave McGuinness or O'Farrell much time. Atkinson got sacked after just a bad twelve months also, albeit overall he obviously had longer. In fact the only obvious example of us giving a manager more time than you'd ordinarily expect since the war other than Ferguson is Docherty. Besides it's all irrelevant in any case seeing as the powers that be are different.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Read a report in one paper that he was toast after the Olympiakos loss, but the board waited until it was mathematically impossible for them to make the CL as, under the terms of his contract, this meant Moyes was only entitled to one year's salary as compensation, rather than the balance of his 5 year deal.

Kinda makes one wonder if they weren't entirely enthused initially even to insert such a clause. I mean, who saw them not making top four at very least?

Might be standard procedure too, equally. I know squat about contracts.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I've heard that he's only entitled to a one year pay off as well. Not head anything about the specifics, but I gather than certain minimum targets were not met.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anyway, enough about Moyes, it's Champions League. Can't imagine tonight will be great to watch, but at least there's something easy to root for.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not sure I agree with the 'great job' narrative for Chelsea. Very much doubt they'll score twice next leg, even at the Bridge, so they're basically relying on going 180 minutes without conceding a goal. Only takes one moment of inspiration for Atleti, so it's pretty risky.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think both teams are probably happy with the result.

Atletico are suited to the counter away.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 12m
Jose Mourinho going with a bang. Angry with scheduling of #LFC v #CFC match on Sunday and his preference will be to play B-team at Anfield

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 11m
Mourinho adds he will have to take advice from Abramovich. "I'm not the most important person at the club. I do what the club decides."

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 8m
Basically, Mourinho planning to change entire team v LFC unless Abramovich over-rules him. "I'm just a piece. I'm the manager, no more."

Last edited: