• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cevno, I don't think it's fair to say that it is anything to do with him being a Man U player. I put Ferdinand, Neville, Beckham, Rooney & Ince in my side and considered Sheringham (he only missed out for Rooney).

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I wasn't only referring to the posts or the lineups picked here only,but in general to clarify.

Personally i would pick him above Gascoigne pretty much,though.

There is a quote from Sir Bobby Charlton saying pretty much the same as Peter Shmeichel did in the quote i posted above --

"People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. "

While Gascoigne for sure had all the talent in the world and was splendid when he turned on,he sometimes tends to be overrated in the English press and fans specially based on what he could have turned out as opposed to what he did in the end.
He had a pretty low bottom level and never fully came close to realising his full potential.

Scholes on the other hand was not only more complete (though may have had a lower peak) ,he always was consistent and put out top performances year after year.

He never really went missing and the games flowed through him ,both when his younger years he was a goalscoring ACM or in his older days when he played DM/DCM type almost quarterback role for United.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To an extent I know what you mean about Gascoigne. But what he did do at his best was just...wow

cpr

International Coach
"He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life terribly uncomfortable."

... by kicking you in the knee 4 seconds after the ball had gone.

Even his niggly close tackles were poor at a compliment. But TBH, for about 10 years he didn't need to tackle. He had Keane behind him and defenders browning themselves in front. I'd put him with Beckham in the field of modern players who seem to have the ball hypnotised into doing what they want. 2 different techniques, but both as impressive.

My England team from living memory

Sack of Cabbages - Worth a run in the team

Neville
Ferdinand
Adams
Ash Hole - ahead of Pearce thanks to his attacking threat down the left,as by god the team needs it

Beckham
Scholes - Early England Scholes, before the three way shunt with Lampard and Gerrard
Butt - Our lack of midfield enforcers is embarrasing, David Batty ffs. Went for Pele's favourite player, at least he'd work well in this midfield.
Joke Hole - Feel sorry his Liverpool time has failed, best left sided threat we've had, especially with his namesake offering overlap runs allowing Cole to venture in and do something special

Owen - Say what you want about footballs favourite jockey, but he's always stepped up to the plate at the big tournaments. When on form, can have 2 touches in a game and still claim a hat-trick, he's was that lethal in the box
Rooney

Subs:
Hart (until he faces a decent opposition) - was tempted by Kirkland for his exquisite record
Campbell
Pearce
Platt
McManaman (our lack of wingers is disturbing, so he gets in on merit of his club performances and having to suffer out on the left)
Shearer
Gerrard (when he turns up)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Scholes is/was a fantastic player and anyone who knows anything about football can see he is one of the greats in his position. However, 'complete', he is not.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While Gascoigne for sure had all the talent in the world and was splendid when he turned on,he sometimes tends to be overrated in the English press and fans specially based on what he could have turned out as opposed to what he did in the end.
Only someone who never saw Gascoigne play would come out with that sort of drivel. I was fortunate to see 2 years of Gascoigne at a level pretty close to his peak - the man was a genius. 2nd greatest player I've ever had the privelidge of watching at Rangers.

Anyway, my England XI (91-present)

Seaman

Neville
Ferdinand
Campbell
Cole

Ince
Gascoigne
Scholes
McManaman

Sheringham
Shearer

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only someone who never saw Gascoigne play would come out with that sort of drivel. I was fortunate to see 2 years of Gascoigne at a level pretty close to his peak - the man was a genius. 2nd greatest player I've ever had the privelidge of watching at Rangers.

Anyway, my England XI (91-present)

Seaman

Neville
Ferdinand
Campbell
Cole

Ince
Gascoigne
Scholes
McManaman

Sheringham
Shearer
Good team, I would go with that. Rooney and Owen might have a good chance of getting in as well. Still wouldn't get past the quarters of an international tournament, though. :p

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'd forgotten Neville tbh. One of the few exceptions to the 'all England right backs are crap' rule.
Yeah he was seriously crap. Though it tells you how crap England are that if I was to put together the best England XI of my era that Gary Neville would feature in it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he was seriously crap. Though it tells you how crap England are that if I was to put together the best England XI of my era that Gary Neville would feature in it.
Your 2nd sentence explains it - you're too young to remember the horrors of watching Phil Neal and Gary Stevens try and defend. Believe me, Ratboy was a genuine improvement on those guys. For a while, anyway. It's one of those weird things that we've produced a string of decent left backs over the last 50 years or so, but barely produced a right back worthy of the name since Jimmy Armfield retired.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
... by kicking you in the knee 4 seconds after the ball had gone.

Even his niggly close tackles were poor at a compliment. But TBH, for about 10 years he didn't need to tackle. He had Keane behind him and defenders browning themselves in front. I'd put him with Beckham in the field of modern players who seem to have the ball hypnotised into doing what they want. 2 different techniques, but both as impressive.

My England team from living memory

Sack of Cabbages - Worth a run in the team

Neville
Ferdinand
Adams
Ash Hole - ahead of Pearce thanks to his attacking threat down the left,as by god the team needs it

Beckham
Scholes - Early England Scholes, before the three way shunt with Lampard and Gerrard
Butt - Our lack of midfield enforcers is embarrasing, David Batty ffs. Went for Pele's favourite player, at least he'd work well in this midfield.
Joke Hole - Feel sorry his Liverpool time has failed, best left sided threat we've had, especially with his namesake offering overlap runs allowing Cole to venture in and do something special

Owen - Say what you want about footballs favourite jockey, but he's always stepped up to the plate at the big tournaments. When on form, can have 2 touches in a game and still claim a hat-trick, he's was that lethal in the box
Rooney

Subs:
Hart (until he faces a decent opposition) - was tempted by Kirkland for his exquisite record
Campbell
Pearce
Platt
McManaman (our lack of wingers is disturbing, so he gets in on merit of his club performances and having to suffer out on the left)
Shearer
Gerrard (when he turns up)
I'm surprised you didn't put David May and Phil Neville in TBH.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
You would hope they could persuade other boards unhappy with FIFA, in particular the UEFA boards, to resign from FIFA.

UEFA get utterly screwed over by FIFA's allocations for World Cups, UEFA is where the main revenue is generated for the sport. Persuade COMNEBOL (or at least Brazil and Argentina) to follow, and bang, you've just destroyed FIFA as a commercial entity.
Nothing would happen if only England WIthdrew.

And by the way England's proposal to postpone the elections has been voted down 17 to 172 ,no less.

The man from Benin announces: "We must be proud to belong to Fifa. We must massively express our support to President Blatter. Please applaud!" Cue loud applause. This is what it must be like to be in a one-party state.

After a series of speeches condemning the FA, a vote is taken on its proposal to postpone Fifa's presidential election: 17 say yes, backing the FA, 172 no. The FA's proposal hasn't just been sunk - it's been torpedoed out of the water.

Now it's the turn of a delegate from Haiti, who makes a candy-floss sweet five-minute paean to Blatter. As does the head of the Congo FA, who makes also makes a direct criticism of the English FA: "He who accuses must provide evidence," he fumes. Has he been living on Mars in the past week? And there's more: "A single candidate sometimes proves that people are satisfied with that candidate," says the Congo FA man, to loud applause from the floor.

9.35am: Another delegate puts his boots into the English FA's rib cage. "Allegations - what a beautiful English word," scoffs the Cyprus FA delegate. "Someone stands up says a few things... without a single shred of truth."

Blatter takes a brief time out from allusions to ships to admit that Fifa needs reforming. He talks of "necessary" reforms and the need to take "radical decisions". And he announces a noticeable change in direction: future World Cups will be selected by full Congress not by the 24-member executive committee.

Blatter announces a second "reform", which involves making the Ethics Committee more professional and independent ... however there's a catch: the Committee members should be elected by Fifa's congress. Hmm. Blatter also suggests that a committee to examine Fifa's corporate governance will be set up to recommend changes - but, you've guessed it - it will be made up from people from Fifa. So far Blatter's "necessary" reforms seem about as radical as washing the car at the weekend.

Blatter finishes his latest address by telling Congress: "I have found my voice again. If you agree with me, say it!" Cue predictable, lingering, sycophantic applause.

And so the attacks on the FA continue; this time it's Julio Grondona, the long-time head of the Argentina FA, throwing the punches: "It looks like England is always complaining so please I say will you leave the Fifa family alone!" he says to strong applause. "We always have attacks from England," he adds. "Their journalism is more busy lying than telling the truth." Extraordinary, gut-wrenching stuff.

Fifa presidential election - live blog! | Sean Ingle and Paul Doyle | Football | guardian.co.uk

All Hail Comrade Blatter!!!!!!!

Not wonder that **** is full of so much confidence and arrogance.

The only way anything is gonna happen is if the Sponsors pull out and England or any other country can make this more than a sporting issue into a Diplomatic issue and say get the USA and a few other powerful countries with it to put pressure from outside.

Last edited:

social

I found it amazing that Blatter didnt recognise the irony when he claimed at his press conference on Monday that FIFA had been in decline since 1998

The **** was elected in 1998 ffs!

Whilst we all know that the greenbacks stop with him, obviously the buck doesnt!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah!! Saying that he was splendid when he was at his peak and when he turned out is completely opposite to saying that he was great at rangers for 2 years.8-)

Besides the Scottish league is not really the best place to judge the premier talent ,tbh.
Though having said that he was at his best in his tottenham years and around that his rangers years . But he could have been a lot more.

Just Like Ronaldinho for example who was probably even better than what Messi is right now or at least equal for a few years at Barca ,but won't be regarded among the greatest Brazillians ever because he did not do it consistently enough.

Gascoigne had the talent to do so much more than he ended up doing and he in his own words has admitted it.

grecian

Yeah!! Saying that he was splendid when he was at his peak and when he turned out is completely opposite to saying that he was great at rangers for 2 years.8-)

Besides the Scottish league is not really the best place to judge the premier talent ,tbh.
Though having said that he was at his best in his tottenham years and around that his rangers years . But he could have been a lot more.

Just Like Ronaldinho for example who was probably even better than what Messi is right now or at least equal for a few years at Barca ,but won't be regarded among the greatest Brazillians ever because he did not do it consistently enough.

Gascoigne had the talent to do so much more than he ended up doing and he in his own words has admitted it.
TBF to Gazza, he was nowhere near his peak when he went to Rangers, and he still seemed to impress.

Yet, it's the classic, if your picking an all-time team, whether you pick on over-all career, or on peak. I've picked on peak. Hence putting Shearer in before he became a bit of a carthorse.