• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The last thing an owner of a company that slaughters chickens should be doing is lovingly stroking a baby chick. That's just too morbid for my liking.

The last thing someone who had never watched a game of football before this year should be doing is running a football club but that's another matter.
Yeah, I read her interview in which she said that a load of Sam's signings had been undisputable failures. Bit rich seeing as she clearly has no idea what she's talking about, not even true in the majority of cases I would suggest, jury still out on a few. Particularly harsh and stupid words considering he's only spent money on (iirc) 5 of them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The writing on the wall for Grant you'd have to think. Even though Allardyce wouldn't play the style of football the fans would be after, if he brings results to the club, I doubt there would be much of an issue.

It's really 2003 all over again, you look at the quality within the West Ham team and you wonder how they've got themselves into this mess.
Would say the team in 2003 was actually a lot better than the team which is currently in the mire. I think the team back in 2003 was in fact far too good to be relegated, and a team with the quality they had really ought to have comfortably survived. This time round though...I'm not sure the team actually has enough quality across the entire side to make a good fist of it, I'm inclined to think that if they are to survive they'd be well advised to enlist Big Sam, for as GF has alluded to, the only way I can see them getting themselves out of the rather large hole they have dug themselves into is through an almighty scrap.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, I read her interview in which she said that a load of Sam's signings had been undisputable failures. Bit rich seeing as she clearly has no idea what she's talking about, not even true in the majority of cases I would suggest, jury still out on a few. Particularly harsh and stupid words considering he's only spent money on (iirc) 5 of them.
Another criticism I've seen today is that he sold Santa Cruz.

Clearly getting £17m was terrible business there.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Would say the team in 2003 was actually a lot better than the team which is currently in the mire. I think the team back in 2003 was in fact far too good to be relegated, and a team with the quality they had really ought to have comfortably survived.
Fair enough actually having just looked up the squad they had - West Ham United 2003-04

Some players that have gone onto big things there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fair enough actually having just looked up the squad they had - West Ham United 2003-04

Some players that have gone onto big things there.
That's the squad from the year after they were relegated iirc. If you take the squad they were playing with when they were actually relegated then they also had Paulo Di Canio, Joe Cole and for half the season Freddie Kanoute. Lee Bowyer and Les Ferdinand for parts as well. Real balls up that they ever went down.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno so much, myself. Aside from it not sitting well (West Ham are the Academy, FFS) some of the lesser lights have done well this season without playing BFS's patented route one dog plop anti-football. Di Matteo & Holloway have both set their stalls out to at least try to play football and are being rewarded. Even Notlob, the non-thinking man's Wimbledon, are actually better to watch under Coyle.

Now if Stoke & Brum could go down the average Prem game would resemble football a lot more often.
Yeah, I actually think you're quite badly understating that, Bolton are one of the most watchable teams going these days. Scrappy football doesn't really seem to be getting the job done this season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I actually think you're quite badly understating that, Bolton are one of the most watchable teams going these days. Scrappy football doesn't really seem to be getting the job done this season.
Haha, most watchable? They're not as bad as they were, but I think you might be going a bit far there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't watch every Bolton game obviously. Could just be that they've been really good going forward in the ones I've seen.

Scored a hell of a lot of goals, though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The writing on the wall for Grant you'd have to think. Even though Allardyce wouldn't play the style of football the fans would be after, if he brings results to the club, I doubt there would be much of an issue.

It's really 2003 all over again, you look at the quality within the West Ham team and you wonder how they've got themselves into this mess.
I'm looking, where is it?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The only failure really has been Kalinic, and that's mostly because he thought Kalinic would be something he's not (a target lump). He was under pressure to get a striker before the season started so I think he pulled the trigger a bit prematurely. The other players he brought in that didn't work cost very little so can't be deemed failures really as you mentioned.

The aquisitions of Nzonzi, Salgado, Givet and MB Diouf have ranged between useful and masterstrokes. Nzonzi in particular was an amazing find for next to nothing. Even Chimby and EH Diouf (****) have played their part.

Got some money out of dead wood too. (McCarthy, Santa Cruz etc..)

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nzoni and Lee are excellent. I'd love to see Odemwingie get a go at a big club before his career ends. I rate him highly.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The only failure really has been Kalinic, and that's mostly because he thought Kalinic would be something he's not (a target lump). He was under pressure to get a striker before the season started so I think he pulled the trigger a bit prematurely. The other players he brought in that didn't work cost very little so can't be deemed failures really as you mentioned.

The aquisitions of Nzonzi, Salgado, Givet and MB Diouf have ranged between useful and masterstrokes. Nzonzi in particular was an amazing find for next to nothing. Even Chimby and EH Diouf (****) have played their part.

Got some money out of dead wood too. (McCarthy, Santa Cruz etc..)
Top player. Would welcome back Santa Cruz with open arms.

Givet has done well despite being slower than John Terry.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
B***n are only good to watch when they are getting their horrible arses handed to them, there is no joy to ever be gained form watching those filthy filthy human beings do well

Jarquis

With Uppercut on this. There's no way Wilshere would've been allowed to go to Bolton while Allardyce was there for example. They play some real nice stuff now, and Davies is still an option for them to revert to type. They're dangerous going forward on the floor and in the air.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
With Uppercut on this. There's no way Wilshere would've been allowed to go to Bolton while Allardyce was there for example. They play some real nice stuff now, and Davies is still an option for them to revert to type. They're dangerous going forward on the floor and in the air.
In the event that were true, it'd probably be more down to the sour relationship between Wenger and Allardyce than anything else tbh.

Jarquis

Nah, reckon the fact that it'd be an entirely pointless experience and that there'd be a great risk of a neck injury watching the ball fly back and forth over his head for 90 minutes is an important one.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, arguably, but I don't think it's a point that can be made with any authority. In the past Arsenal certainly haven't been adverse to sending players out on loan to clubs who like to put it about a bit. Pennant, Bendtner, Larsson, Hoyte, Lansbury and Randall etc...

Jarquis

Well, arguably, but I don't think it's a point that can be made with any authority. In the past Arsenal certainly haven't been adverse to sending players out on loan to clubs who like to put it about a bit. Pennant, Bendtner, Larsson, Hoyte, Lansbury and Randall etc...
Ignoring the obvious fact that none of the above mentioned were ever prodigies in the sense Wilshere is

Pennant - went to Leeds and was hugely involved, weren't a bad football side by any stretch IIRC.
Bendtner - Suited to a long ball side, so makes sense.
Larsson - Has been shown he's actually quite well matched to Birmingham
Hoyte - Would argue it's not quite so important what manner the team plays football for defenders.

I just don't see that Wenger would've ever sent Wilshere somewhere like Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton under Allardyce etc