• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow. Strikes me as somewhat harsh though. Not a fan of hoofball, and we were diabolical at times but we weren't as ugly a team as was made out (at least in the games I saw) and there's no denying that he brought us from being almost relegation certainties to a team safely mid table, that doesn't really look likely to figure in relegation. I think he did a pretty good job with us.
If the new owners actually back it up and buy good players in January and you guys start playing better football you guys will forget all about fatty. Big ifs though, hard to transform such a custom made team into a polar opposite type of team in such a short space of time. That 7-1 loss couldn't have helped either.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was dreadful, really was.
Hmm. Everyone I watched with thought it was Arshavin's fault for leaving him isolated all the time against Nani, where he was obviously going to have his soul owned. It's remarkable how little defensive work Arshavin does, bit of a tactical error from Wenger lining him up on the same side as a defensive weak link and United's most dangerous player.

Vidic and Ferdinand were so, sooo good, which is really encouraging. Hopefully they can stay fit.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hmm. Everyone I watched with thought it was Arshavin's fault for leaving him isolated all the time against Nani, where he was obviously going to have his soul owned. It's remarkable how little defensive work Arshavin does, bit of a tactical error from Wenger lining him up on the same side as a defensive weak link and United's most dangerous player.

Vidic and Ferdinand were so, sooo good, which is really encouraging. Hopefully they can stay fit.
I appreciate that it probably didn't help, but he just did not look the part. The major problems with him, is that he continually tries to run/pass the ball out of defence, even in the most innapropriate situations. Similarly, on the very rare occasions he actually attempts a clearance it's inevitably completely insipid and ends up about 15 yards away with a member of the other team. It struck me that even when Sagna was off the pitch injured, Man Utd continued to attack down the side of the pitch Clichy was on, though I appreciate the fact that Nani was playing on that side of the pitch too. People say his work going forward is good, but I'm not convinced of this at all either. You know that if you get him isolated with nobody in front of him, he's going to pass it backwards, because he just isn't good enough to beat anyone one on one, despite having good pace. Then on occasions where he gets played in by someone else, his crossing is usually poor as well, again I appreciate he occasionally makes a good one, but these are few and far between. That said, I don't think Sagna is much better in this regard either, but at least he's pretty solid defensively.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
If the new owners actually back it up and buy good players in January and you guys start playing better football you guys will forget all about fatty. Big ifs though, hard to transform such a custom made team into a polar opposite type of team in such a short space of time. That 7-1 loss couldn't have helped either.
Mmm still you'd think the safer option would be to wait out this year, replace the guy in the off season and splash on the team at that point. Like you said transforming a custom made team won't realistically happen this season.

I never had any great love for BFS, but he did a decent job getting our team solid and tough to beat at home in particular. I didn't see us getting relegated under him that's for sure. It's hard to know what will happen from here, but you'd think the whole thing going **** up is a hell of a lot more likely now than it was a couple of days ago.

What's more worrying is that the new owners don't really seem to have too much of a clue about this whole owning a club thing, and aren't afraid to get very hands on in club management. I can't think of a worse kind of owner.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I'd agree. I don't much care for Big Sam at all, in fact I dislike him quite a lot. But it's folly to sack him at this stage, did pretty well given the resources he was given to work with, and Blackburn were never going to turn into Brazil of the 1970's under him. Another foolish sacking I would suggest, imagine we'll see him back in management by the end of the season though, probably attempting to stave off relegation for another team who decide to axe their boss in the meantime.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I don't rate Clichy in general. Just have some sympathy for him, stuck one-on-one against Nani for the entire game. He's never going to come out of that looking good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on BFS. It was apparently a "disagreement" over transfer policy that hastened the delusional lardo's exit. Given his (alleged) fondness for brown paper bags previously exposed in a Panorama docu I can see why the new owners might wish him not to have such a hands-on role.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah, I'd agree. I don't much care for Big Sam at all, in fact I dislike him quite a lot. But it's folly to sack him at this stage, did pretty well given the resources he was given to work with, and Blackburn were never going to turn into Brazil of the 1970's under him. Another foolish sacking I would suggest, imagine we'll see him back in management by the end of the season though, probably attempting to stave off relegation for another team who decide to axe their boss in the meantime.
Looks as though West Ham are interested in him, so would be an interesting appointment.... Anyone has got to be better than Grant though!

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Reports are that the owners were attempting to thrust Boyd and Giovanni on the team though. Even a man of Sam's (allegedly) loose ethics could not have accepted such terrible deals.

I reckon he'd be a good pick up for you at this point in time James. It's like selling your soul to the devil, but if anyone is going to keep you up it's BFS.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BFS is the best option available to West Ham. He will get you out of relegation.

He's still a fat **** though.
Dunno so much, myself. Aside from it not sitting well (West Ham are the Academy, FFS) some of the lesser lights have done well this season without playing BFS's patented route one dog plop anti-football. Di Matteo & Holloway have both set their stalls out to at least try to play football and are being rewarded. Even Notlob, the non-thinking man's Wimbledon, are actually better to watch under Coyle.

Now if Stoke & Brum could go down the average Prem game would resemble football a lot more often.

James

Cricket Web Owner
The writing on the wall for Grant you'd have to think. Even though Allardyce wouldn't play the style of football the fans would be after, if he brings results to the club, I doubt there would be much of an issue.

It's really 2003 all over again, you look at the quality within the West Ham team and you wonder how they've got themselves into this mess.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dunno so much, myself. Aside from it not sitting well (West Ham are the Academy, FFS) some of the lesser lights have done well this season without playing BFS's patented route one dog plop anti-football. Di Matteo & Holloway have both set their stalls out to at least try to play football and are being rewarded. Even Notlob, the non-thinking man's Wimbledon, are actually better to watch under Coyle.

Now if Stoke & Brum could go down the average Prem game would resemble football a lot more often.
Regardless of the fact that Allardyce teams play dreadful football, he gets results. When you're rooted at the foot of the table like West Ham are, you don't have the luxury of trying to play pretty football but get beaten. You need points on the board.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
In Anuradha Desai I trust.

The last thing an owner of a company that slaughters chickens should be doing is lovingly stroking a baby chick. That's just too morbid for my liking.

The last thing someone who had never watched a game of football before this year should be doing is running a football club but that's another matter.