• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think the fact that he contributes little to attacks is a particularly important criteria when deciding how good a defender he is to be honest.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Vidic
Ferdinand
Terry
Skrtel
Carvalho
Alex
Jagielka
Gallas
Hangeland
Bramble/Woodgate/King

Going by just central defenders. People like Corluka, Evra, Bosingwa and Cole edge in there when considering fullbacks.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pur-lease. Bramble? Jagielka? Not fit to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Carragher. Carragher is usually very solid defensively and is decent enough on the ball to have been played in midfield earlier in his career. He ain't Franz Beckenbauer, but then neither's Rio & Carragher is a better defender than Ferdinand.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Carragher is crap on the ball regardless. Gave it away for fun when he played for England.

While Carragher might be better in some aspects of defending Rio more than makes up for it in strength, in the air, pace etc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Carragher is crap on the ball regardless. Gave it away for fun when he played for England.

While Carragher might be better in some aspects of defending Rio more than makes up for it in strength, in the air, pace etc.
No, sorry. You bang on about Gerrard being overrated, but Fredinand is equally as beloved of certain corners of the press and, without fail, he'll allow a chance every game because he still switches off at his age. People drone on about him because he's comfortable on the ball and is quick once he gets going, but I'd take Carragher and Ledley King over him as centre-halves any day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Because he does provide more on the ball I reckon.

As a defender he's lacking, with the odd lapse, which often seem to be critical...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I reckon the "Ferdinand loses concentration a lot" idea is a few years old - yeah he can have his lapses like any defender, but I think because he used to have quite a rep for it any mistake he makes now is Rio "losing concentration again" when IMO he's more solid and consistent than most these days. The fact that he's quite a smooth player as opposed a typical English bulldog type like Carragher probably adds to that perception too I think.

Pothas

Vidic
Ferdinand
Terry
Skrtel
Carvalho
Alex
Jagielka
Gallas
Hangeland
Bramble/Woodgate/King

Going by just central defenders. People like Corluka, Evra, Bosingwa and Cole edge in there when considering fullbacks.
Total Joke. Not including Carragher just for the sake of your argument. You know fully well that he is a better defender than Bramble.

Never actually been a huge fan of him myself, never considered him to be very top class but he is a very solid defender and you cannot dispute that.

Pothas

Personally I reckon the "Ferdinand loses concentration a lot" idea is a few years old - yeah he can have his lapses like any defender, but I think because he used to have quite a rep for it any mistake he makes now is Rio "losing concentration again" when IMO he's more solid and consistent than most these days. The fact that he's quite a smooth player as opposed a typical English bulldog type like Carragher probably adds to that perception too I think.
Yeah I agree with this, unlike some on this forum I would always take Ferdinand over Charragher.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Total Joke. Not including Carragher just for the sake of your argument. You know fully well that he is a better defender than Bramble.

Never actually been a huge fan of him myself, never considered him to be very top class but he is a very solid defender and you cannot dispute that.
I would also say that the mention of Titus Bramble before Kolo Toure, Joleon Lescott, Joseph Yobo, Daniel Agger, Richard Dunne, and several others is also highly dubious.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I agree with this, unlike some on this forum I would always take Ferdinand over Charragher.
I would as well, I think Ferdinand brings a very solid presence to the back line which none of the other options really provide. That said, I do think, in terms of out and out defensive abilities, Carragher is better.

grecian

*sniggers* @Bramble

I'm in the Rio-camp tbh, occasional lapse which is very occasional nowadays more then made up by brilliant anticipation our best defender since Moore, IMHO. I put carragher into second place of Englishmen though ahead of the slow and ponderous and truly over-rated Terry.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why do you think a succession of England managers haven't? Serious question.
Is a more complete allround player for mine, cuts a more commanding figure to opposing sides as well I would suggest. Also I think the politics of football might have some bearing, leaving out a £30million player who forms one of the most solid and tight defensive partnerships in the country would be a truly unprecedented move, ont to mention the fact that he has always done a decent job for England.

duffer

Vidic
Ferdinand
Terry
Skrtel
Carvalho
Alex
Jagielka
Gallas
Hangeland
Bramble/Woodgate/King

If you're including fullbacks it would be ludicrous to leave out arguably the best set in the Premiership.

Massive heh @ Jagielka and the the last 4 you have there.

roseboy64

Only questionable one in there's Bramble but last two seasons he's been pretty good when I've seen him. Inclusive of fullbacks, Carragher not in the top 10.

roseboy64

If you're including fullbacks it would be ludicrous to leave out arguably the best set in the Premiership.

Massive heh @ Jagielka and the the last 4 you have there.
Just named some off the top of my head. Clichy gone off it a bit though hasn't he?

duffer

Gael has made some errors yes, Sagna has been the model of consistency though. Not the best crosser of the ball but a fantastic defender.

Still would put both of them in the conversation though.