• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any comment on Arshavin's honesty?
After appealing to be fouled for the penalty which gave Bendtner his second goal of the game, putting us 2-0 up, Arshavin tried to convince the refferee that it was indeed a corner and not a penalty.

Surely in instances like theese the refferee should be able to overturn his first decision?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
After appealing to be fouled for the penalty which gave Bendtner his second goal of the game, putting us 2-0 up, Arshavin tried to convince the refferee that it was indeed a corner and not a penalty.

Surely in instances like theese the refferee should be able to overturn his first decision?
The referee is able to overturn it unless play has already re-started - it's down to them to do so!

Barney Rubble

International Coach

Really impressive display from Arshavin, glad to know the little genius is also a nice bloke. Never a ****ing penno, though.

Still, despite that, we could have gotten ourselves back into the game after that setback if we'd taken our chances. 3-0 is a poor result at home, even against Arsenal.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Congrats. Nice to see real fans rewarded occasionally. :)

Found myself genuinely pleased your boys did it, despite you downing the U's in the play-off last year.

Similarly gutted for GIMH too, who I assume must be drowning his sorrows as I type.
Yeah, had a few tonight. Pretty hard to take. Had we gone behind and lost, or the game been 0-0 throughout, I'd be disappointed, upset, yeah, but the way it went down, yuck, hurt as much as losing the play-offs on penalties in 05. Collapsed in a heap when the goal went in.

Scunny fans ran to our end goading the fans apparently, so our players couldn't go down there and give fans. Don't wanna sound bitter, but classy. Another year in this division, our 9th. Hard to think ahead at the minute, there are obviously positives we can take from this season, but all i can think of at the minute is something along the lines of 'blergh'

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bloodclathhh, Chelsea better look to take Barca to penalties. Once they open up they could die..
Haha, the amount of chances Barca wasted was unreal. Cut them open at will and 6-2 was not a fair reflection of how good they were. The result flattered Madrid.

Can't wait until Wednesday.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Pompey next week. Don't worry.

And if Rovers **** that up, they play WBA (at home) last game of the season.
Actually have a feeling we'll just need a point from the remaining 3 games. Our home form's been pretty good lately so I think we'll be right. Don't want to invite disaster, but I can't see 2 of the following happening.

Toon getting 7 or more points from their remaining 4 (Liverpool, Boro, Fulham, Villa)
Boro getting 7 or more points from their remaining 3 (Toon, Villa, Ham)
Hull getting 4 or more points from their remaining 4 (Villa, Stoke, Bolton, Man U)

Still I don't really feel we deserve to be in the Prem atm. We need a massive overhaul in the off season or we'll be down next year for sure. We could start with a striker that doesn't get injured getting out of bed, doing his laundry, or walking to the corner store.

God I hope someone's stupid enough to pick up RSC for 18m now :( Wish we sold him when we had the chance.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh I won the Exeweb fantasy div 4 thing, beating a couple of losers Paul Tisdale and John Yems, whoever they may be amongst 92 others. Logans goal cost me as I had two Rotherham defenders, never mind.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
God I hope someone's stupid enough to pick up RSC for 18m now :( Wish we sold him when we had the chance.
I don't. The club won't attract the players of the class of Santa Cruz if they are perennial bottom-dwellers.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't. The club won't attract the players of the class of Santa Cruz if they are perennial bottom-dwellers.
I see your point, but he's going to leave anyway and we'll never get anywhere near 18m for him now he's shown how injury prone he is. With that money we could get someone good surely. Maybe a few someones.

Since January he's played only a handful of games. Doing sweet fa for us now when we need him. Great player, but imo he'll go down as a one year wonder.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I see your point, but he's going to leave anyway and we'll never get anywhere near 18m for him now he's shown how injury prone he is. With that money we could get someone good surely. Maybe a few someones.

Since January he's played only a handful of games. Doing sweet fa for us now when we need him. Great player, but imo he'll go down as a one year wonder.
His under contract, so if the money isn't right, he won't be going anywhere. And knowing Fat Sam, the replacement will be the in mould/technical ability of Jared Borgetti/Mario Jardel.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sébastien Bassong looks a shocking player.

But at least if the Toon go down, Alan Smith will have found his appropriate level and Viduka can retire (please).

Agent TBY

International Captain
Newcastle looked shocking out there today. They deserve to get relegated. Really looking forward to watching Everton play league football, too. It's been a while.

EDIT: School boy error edited out.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I'm gutted for you Corrin anyway, you were so close, but next year it will happen. And congrats to Neil and grecian, too think you guys were not even in the Football League last year.