• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Awfully confused how 350 in 50 becomes 190 in 30?
Seems like it was some sort of agreed target for situational practice. It was quite possibly the most unashamedly 'glorified centre wicket practice' game ever.

cricinfo scorcard match notes said:
After 20 overs in the Inv XI innings there will only be 10 overs left and 85 to win, also anyone of the Inv XI can bat again.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
I read Philander is joining Somerset on kolpak. I don't understand why only SA cricketers play in England on kolpak deal, why don't cricketers from other countries play in England under kolpak?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I read Philander is joining Somerset on kolpak. I don't understand why only SA cricketers play in England on kolpak deal, why don't cricketers from other countries play in England under kolpak?
South Africa has a trade deal with the EU that, set by the precedent of Slovak handball player Maroš Kolpak, would consider any ECB regulations prohibiting South Africans from playing county cricket as local players as a restraint of trade. It also applies to Zimbabwe, but the reason you don't see it happening with players from India or Sri Lanka or New Zealand etc is that those countries don't have such an agreement with the EU.

Brexit could obviously change this in the near future, and the ECB may soon consider all South Africans overseas players, or the UK government may even deny them work visas in the first place in some cases. I think that's the reason there's been a little bit of a rush on getting a contract in before that happens the last year or two.

DriveClub

International Regular
South Africa has a trade deal with the EU that, set by the precedent of Slovak handball player Maroš Kolpak, would consider any ECB regulations prohibiting South Africans from playing county cricket as local players as a restraint of trade. It also applies to Zimbabwe, but the reason you don't see it happening with players from India or Sri Lanka or New Zealand etc is that those countries don't have such an agreement with the EU.

Brexit could obviously change this in the near future, and the ECB may soon consider all South Africans overseas players, or the UK government may even deny them work visas in the first place in some cases. I think that's the reason there's been a little bit of a rush on getting a contract in before that happens the last year or two.
Got it, would vernons retirement timing have something to do with wanting to get in the kolpak train before the window closed since UK has signed the leave papers couple of days back?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Got it, would vernons retirement timing have something to do with wanting to get in the kolpak train before the window closed since UK has signed the leave papers couple of days back?
Yep I think that would've played on his mind a fair bit. It's obviously hard to know for sure but if he knew leaving it another year wouldn't risk anything he may have done so.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Several of the countries that make up the Windies have free trade treaties with the EU too, so we've had quite a few West Indians as Kolpaks as well.

Ravi Rampaul at Derbyshire and Fidel Edwards at Hants are two current Windies Kolpaks.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Kolpak players will not be allowed to play county cricket after the end of this year (2020) as a result of the UK's exit from the European Union, means we can see more of such signings this year.

Dendarii

International Debutant
In 32 day/night matches at Newlands the team batting first has won 24 times. So South Africa finally win a toss and bowl first??

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not picking Moeen Ali is joyless.

Woakes gets his 100th cap. Deserved. I found him an underrated part of the world cup side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
BBC live text 11:49
Post update
Here's skipper Eoin Morgan. With an inexperienced line-up below him, Morgan has work to do.

11:55
Get Involved
#bbccricket

Luke Thrower: Can't help but feel Morgan and Root have to put a shift in here, due to the inexperience in the lineup below them. Give the lads a platform to express themselves.
Hot take from Luke there.