• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

Heboric

International Debutant
Think he was even mentioned as a possible UK PM in the dog days of WW2.

It does sometimes seem there's only about half-a-dozen surnames in RSA though. I'm sure one's never more than ten feet from a Botha, Burger, de Villiers, Kruger, P(i)etersen, Fourie, Smuts or Smit.
There is a lot of surnames in RSA, maybe not in a certain subsection, but otherwise

You missed the important one - Labuschagne 8-)

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Surely Parkinson has to bowl a bit quicker if he is going to succeed at odi/test level? Its fine in t20s when the batsmen are trying to after you but seems too easy to just sit back and wait for the spin

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Not picking Moeen Ali and then bowling Joe Root at first change is worse.
We became the best ODI side in the world by using Rashid/Plunkett/Moeen to brilliant affect in the middle overs.

Now I know they will be all be likely retired or close to retirement by 2023.

But surely the formula remains the same in the mean time and you play another frontline spinner with Parkinson if you don't select Moeen who is in the squad!!!

Last edited:

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Bavuma is a good player to watch in full flow isn't he? Hits the bl so cleanly even when he defends. Natural timer of the ball.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Could van der dussen open? Seems to look uncomfortable against spin which could be a problem batting in the middle order

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Could van der dussen open? Seems to look uncomfortable against spin which could be a problem batting in the middle order
He is limited against spin, but I think in limited overs cricket you fancy him more against that, just trying to knock it around, than pace upfront. They have Malan, the younger one, waiting to go and he can come in for Reeza Hendricks if he continues to disappoint. Say what you will about van der Dussen but he hasn't done many things wrong in ODIs so far.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Is Reeza Hendricks still all SA has for an opening partner for de Kock?
You're forgetting about Markram

Even though he's been pretty useless outside of South Africa. I imagine he will be back in the team.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
He is limited against spin, but I think in limited overs cricket you fancy him more against that, just trying to knock it around, than pace upfront. They have Malan, the younger one, waiting to go and he can come in for Reeza Hendricks if he continues to disappoint. Say what you will about van der Dussen but he hasn't done many things wrong in ODIs so far.
He has been very good in odi's and not terrible in tests either.