• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What are England's options besides banton at the top of the order? Bairstow Roy being first choice, then hales or malan?
Hales is quite fortunate not to be watching the upcoming series from a 6x8 cell in Pentonville Road Gaol tbh.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Bairstow, Roy, Buttler, Malan are the top order bats in the current t20 squad. (Ali and Denly are in the squad too, although they won't be batting in the top 3.)
I don't remember Buttler coming in before no 4 or 5 in t20s. Malan has a good record but is a c*** so I would have banton 1st in line to replace jb or roy

mackembhoy

International Debutant
1) They named the squads before the Big Bash started.
2) With the World T20 happening this year (and another next year, ugh) the focus is on T20 rather than ODI cricket, and thus the T20 squad is more or less full strength, whilst they've rested players for the ODI series.

Banton will get in the T20 team in time, although maybe not for this years comp. England lots of options at top of order.
Should have been in the squad. Regardless of the BBL

In his first full season he scored 29 runs fewer than the number one ranked T20 batsman in the world(even though it's really Kohli)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I don't remember Buttler coming in before no 4 or 5 in t20s. Malan has a good record but is a c*** so I would have banton 1st in line to replace jb or roy
Buttler's opening these days. Struggled in the middle order. Moved up to open in the IPL a couple of seasons ago with greater success, and has opened the last 5 games for England he's played.

Buttler and Bairstow in theory could bat lower than 3 but I think they are probably the two best openers likely to have the biggest positive impact so I'd probably open with them, with Malan at 3. Leave out Roy.

Roy has a high strike rate but rarely goes on from good starts and also fails quite a bit, thus the low average. Malan I have the feeling that once the best bowlers are playing T20is and they study his game a bit won't have the same success, but his record to now means he deserves to play imo.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Oh sorry I genuinely didn't know he opened the last 5. I would have root over malan. When we are playing against the best attacks his skill will be needed. I can see us being skittled in a knockout game without him

PavlovsDog

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think the Middlesex players reaction to him leaving said a lot
Seems a bit of an odd reason for a fan, who is distant from the situation, to give a toss whether someone is a bit of a plank. Frankly all I care about is whether a player can perform and contribute to team success. If they are an utter tool, that’s not my problem.

Groundking

International Debutant
Bairstow
Buttler
Root

is our best top 3 in T20's imo, but I'd leave Root out of this, I think he'd do well from having a break and we have enough options there to sort through we may aswell.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Looks like the batting has warmed up properly now then.

Surprised Morgan hasn’t given himself another go. They are keen to have a Denly-Banton middle order working I guess.

Why isn’t Buttler in the ODI squad? Just rested?

Bijed

International Regular
Did well today and I like what he's done in tests but I don't get why Denly is still in and around the ODI setup. He's not better than any of the incumbents and it's not like he's a future prospect.

Although if Howe is correct and we're resting some players then I guess he's an acceptable enough, if a bit conservative, as a stop-gap fill-in

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah we are resting at least Stokes and it looks like Buttler too. So presumably they rate him as a batting allrounder option and don’t want to play too many kids.

Shady Slim

International Coach
highkey denly has done great things for the test team in terms of the balance... been able to regularly occupy the crease for time, which is a boon for an england team which has been collapse prone

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
highkey denly has done great things for the test team in terms of the balance... been able to regularly occupy the crease for time, which is a boon for an england team which has been collapse prone
just checking, you are aware he's been dropped for England's Sri Lanka tour?