• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England made us look like minnows in those series. This is not nearly as bad as that.

Woodster

International Captain
Not seen any of today's play yet, but from what I've read poor shots causing the disnmissals again. Do we think the batsmen are not very clear on their gameplans here, we just seem to be digging ourselves into a hole and then struggling to get out and the dismissals are looking particularly tame. Surely we are not showing enough attacking intent ? I appreciate this can be difficult in India, but surely just looking to survive isn't going to get us anywhere, especially in this kind of match situation.

cnerd123

likes this
I think England's problem is:

> If they try to occupy the crease, but inevitably get a magic ball. Some batsmen are also just not good enough at defending
> If they try to show #intent, but not good enough to execute the strokes well consistently

They're just not as good at batting in India as the Indians are.

And thats perfectly okay tbh.

Woodster

International Captain
I think England's problem is:

> If they try to occupy the crease, but inevitably get a magic ball. Some batsmen are also just not good enough at defending
> If they try to show #intent, but not good enough to execute the strokes well consistently

They're just not as good at batting in India as the Indians are.

And thats perfectly okay tbh.
Yes I mean of course we're not as well versed in the skills of how to bat on pitches that you encounter in India, we don't play on anything like pitches like that over here.

I agree that defence is just as crucial as an attacking repertoire, but I just feel we need to show more, Ashwin and Jadeja just seem to be able to do what they want without having much pressure put on them, and Kohli isn't having to think about getting the balance of attacking and defending right because we're not giving him anything to think about by just trying to survive.

flibbertyjibber

I thought the :D smiley would show that, guess hazsa was in a bad mood. TBF, so would I if it was India who were collapsing like that, which we did in the 2011 and 2014 series.
Seeing as you lot copped it for those series it is a bit much to get touchy when it happens in return. Doesn't hurt as much when you expected it anyway.

Just hope Ashwin doesn't get too many wickets and Rashid can stay ahead of him in the series. Gives me something to have fun with. :D

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Even if he (Leach) did get wickets in favorable conditions, as long as they were reasonable and similar to what they might find in India, he should be worth a go, surely.
This.

Whilst it's quite possible that Leach would have struggled, to pick guys with a lesser track record head of him was always a dodgy call, and the fact that Ansari and Batty are now firmly in our basket of unselectables has just made the selectors look like idiots.

If Leach is playing for the Lions, then of course he should be flied out to India. I doubt whether he'll save the series for us, but he's entitled to be there simply down to be the premier English spinner based on what we saw last summer.

Great day for the hosts, btw. Ashwin and Jadeja doing to us what out 7s and 8s have been doing to others, although we have to be disappointed that our quicks couldn't make more use of the new ball first thing. As for the batting, meh. It's going to happen whenever we face decent spinners given the ******** attitude towards spin bowling in the English domestic game.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Seeing as you lot copped it for those series it is a bit much to get touchy when it happens in return. Doesn't hurt as much when you expected it anyway.

Just hope Ashwin doesn't get too many wickets and Rashid can stay ahead of him in the series. Gives me something to have fun with. :D
Lol, you did lose it against some posters, haha.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
This.

Whilst it's quite possible that Leach would have struggled, to pick guys with a lesser track record head of him was always a dodgy call, and the fact that Ansari and Batty are now firmly in our basket of unselectables has just made the selectors look like idiots.

If Leach is playing for the Lions, then of course he should be flied out to India. I doubt whether he'll save the series for us, but he's entitled to be there simply down to be the premier English spinner based on what we saw last summer.

Great day for the hosts, btw. Ashwin and Jadeja doing to us what out 7s and 8s have been doing to others, although we have to be disappointed that our quicks couldn't make more use of the new ball first thing. As for the batting, meh. It's going to happen whenever we face decent spinners given the ******** attitude towards spin bowling in the English domestic game.
Why has Tredwell never been given any chances in red ball cricket? He seemed alright in the one day matches whenever i saw him. I doubt he'd be worse than Ansari or Batty at least.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Back in the 90s, I never would've imagined that our last four wickets would put on 200+. What a time to be alive.

hazsa19

International Regular
I thought the :D smiley would show that, guess hazsa was in a bad mood. TBF, so would I if it was India who were collapsing like that, which we did in the 2011 and 2014 series.
Yeh apologies, that was piss poor posting from me. I'm fine now, just looking forward to a Root double and a rear guard 50 from Jimmeh.

You didn't enjoy the Third and Fourth Tests in 2011?
You'll probably think this is bollocks, but I genuinely found them a bit meh. I was there the first day of the 3rd test, I've never known an Edgbaston crowd so subdued. Don't get me wrong I was happy that we were playing so well. In contrast I was at the 5th day of the Lords test, which was one of the best days cricket I've ever seen live, in easily the best atmosphere I've experienced at Lords, probably due to the thousands of Indian fans who queued up to get in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Funnily enough, the 2011 series was a bit easier to take for me personally, simply coz we were in it for about a session max. The 2014 one was just cruel. There was Edgbaston where we went punch for punch with England, there was Lords where a game we should have lost was won and then the first 10 or so overs at Old Trafford when Cook looked like he was playing his last innings as England captain.

That is why I know better than to write England off here. Root is good and they still have Butler who can easily do what the Lankan youngsters did to us at Galle. This ain't over guys. :(

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see how England can do well after this in the next matches. They possibly tried every combination starting from Bangladesh series and still struggling to find the right combination. They can fly few more faces but don't think that's going to change the major issues. They had their moments but could not cash in and let the game slip away. Mumbai and Chennai are going to be more tougher. Unfortunately its all doom and gloom for England now. For the neutrals, its just disappointing.

vcs

Funnily enough, the 2011 series was a bit easier to take for me personally, simply coz we were in it for about a session max. The 2014 one was just cruel. There was Edgbaston where we went punch for punch with England, there was Lords where a game we should have lost was won and then the first 10 or so overs at Old Trafford when Cook looked like he was playing his last innings as England captain.

That is why I know better than to write England off here. Root is good and they still have Butler who can easily do what the Lankan youngsters did to us at Galle. This ain't over guys. :(
There was that weird match at the start of the series (don't remember the venue) where our 10th wicket partnership put on 100, and theirs put on 200.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ravichandran Sobers is just hitting his groove as a bowler this series and has 15 wickets @ 27.4 and 237 runs @ 47.8 so far with about half the series to go. Could be a monster all-rounder series for him.

He has 545 runs @ 45.5 and 59 wickets @ 21.7 for the year so far.