• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sol averaging 36 after 4 matches is problematic? FMD some Australians set their standards too high. Even if he gets single figures for the rest of the Indian tour he deserves the entire Australian summer in the test team. It isn't like anyone else truly deserves a go at the spot, whereas Haddin really did deserve his go. And it isn't like he has been a miserable failure, especially considering India is probably the hardest place to keep and bat at the beginning of your career.
Not a failure and he deserves a long chance after a very long apprenticeship. Just don't know that he's had as good a start as he and we hoped for.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not a failure and he deserves a long chance after a very long apprenticeship. Just don't know that he's had as good a start as he and we hoped for.
I've been a bit concerned with his glove work. Don't remember him dropping a regulation catch yet, but some of the keeping that lead to byes has been sloppy,.

Top_Cat

I've been a bit concerned with his glove work. Don't remember him dropping a regulation catch yet, but some of the keeping that lead to byes has been sloppy,.
Frankly, don't know why this is a surprise. Haddin's never been an amazing 'keeper and don't see why that was expected to change because he's wearing baggy green instead of blue. He is, however, the best 'keeper in the country right now and is doing his best under difficult circumstances.

Polo23

International Debutant
Yeah, you're right. Should forfeit now, the game is over.
:laugh:

Anyone who thinks Australia can win the game from this position is in dreamland, and quite possibly in denial.

They could definitely escape with a draw, if they bat fantastically well...but if they win the game i'll eat my shoes.

Top_Cat

Anyone who thinks Australia can win the game from this position is in dreamland, and quite possibly in denial.

They could definitely escape with a draw, if they bat fantastically well...but if they win the game i'll eat my shoes.
The chances of Australia winning the game are small, remote, [insert synonym here for 'really unlikely'] and it would really go against the run of play, no doubt. But these blokes are the best players in the world, you want them thinking they're never out of the game. Other teams have won from worse positions (India, Chennai, 2001, nuff said).

Burgey

But what do you expect him to say? "We'll sit back and let them rack up a 500+ lead, not try to bowl them out, then roll over for about 100"? I agree with you as to the only possible results, but I don't think it's anything unusual to hear sportspeople from all over the place mouth platitudes about their chances of winning games when realistically they're out of it.

pasag

RTDAS
The chances of Australia winning the game are small, remote, [insert synonym here for 'really unlikely'] and it would really go against the run of play, no doubt. But these blokes are the best players in the world, you want them thinking they're never out of the game. Other teams have won from worse positions (India, Chennai, 2001, nuff said).
Yep and Australia are better at going for a target as opposed to shutting up shop and playing for the draw, which we don't have a lot of experience at doing.

Good to see Watto making those comments, obviously we'll probably lose, but our only chance here is going in with a positive frame of mind.

Polo23

International Debutant
But what do you expect him to say? "We'll sit back and let them rack up a 500+ lead, not try to bowl them out, then roll over for about 100"? I agree with you as to the only possible results, but I don't think it's anything unusual to hear sportspeople from all over the place mouth platitudes about their chances of winning games when realistically they're out of it.
Personally i'd keep my mouth shut. They have played so poorly, and not even looked like taking a wicket that i'd be more worried about my own performance than spouting off crap about how we were going to win.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why should Kumble walk back into the side?
Because he is the CAPTAIN.

Mishra bowled better than he did in the first Test, he is the man in possession and should not be dropped unless his performance merits it.
Mishra bowled better doesn't and shouldn't mean anything as far as Kumble's position in the team is concerned. Kumble is the Captain of the team and he should come back If he is fit. And as far as merit is concerned, Let's not go there. One match versus 19 years, it is really ridiculous to even question the merits.

Burgey

Personally i'd keep my mouth shut. They have played so poorly, and not even looked like taking a wicket that i'd be more worried about my own performance than spouting off crap about how we were going to win.
Hard to keep your mouth shut when part of your job is to go to a presser after a day's play when you've top scored, and you're asked a question aboiut your prospects in the game, isn't it?

Really, I'd read these quotes like you have to with footballers "I'm taking it one game at a time", "If I'm picked I'd be honoured", "The boys really did the job out there today", "It's not going ot be easy, but we're going there to win the game" etc. etc.

Seriously, if anyone takes offence at those comments or sees them as a sign of arrogance, the players may as well join a cloistered order and not say a word.

pasag

RTDAS
Main issue is that we didn't throw our wickets away like the Indians in the first innings, we actually got done by good bowling. If they bowl like that again this could be over today.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see Australia drawing it unless Hayden gets a big score TBH, but not bad odds.
Depends how long India bat for today i suppose and a good Australia start. Probably put $20 or so on a draw at those odds - Quite good i reckon

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I had worried when the Australian squad was announced, of the weakness in bowling (particularly the greenhorns amongst the spinners) and the lack of batting outside the expected playing XI. I thought it might still be tight with the Indian batsmen not being at their best.

Now with Stuart Clarke also gone, the bowling looks very weak and with Hayden and Michael Clarke barely managing a fifty (combined aggregate runs in six innings between them), India have suddenly shot up in the contest. A flat track at Mohali has given most batsmen their batsmen second wind and the injury of Kumble has brought us Mishra, the orthodox leg-spinner - the only type of bowler besides the furiously fast who can cause damage on good batting surfaces too.

The Indian openers have given us three good starts in four innings and Ponting's lack of self-belief (by which I mean belief in his team) has been the icing on the cake.

This is the weakest Aussie side I can recall (in terms of how they have performed) after the Simpson led scratch side of the Packer era. Its India's best chance because though Australia may remain weak (if not get weaker) but India may be getting the last ounce of juice out of their aging batting stars.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
I had worried when the Australian squad was announced, of the weakness in bowling (particularly the greenhorns amongst the spinners) and the lack of batting outside the expected playing XI. I thought it might still be tight with the Indian batsmen not being at their best.

Now with Stuart Clarke also gone, the bowling looks very weak and with Hayden and Michael Clarke barely managing a fifty (combined aggregate runs in six innings between them), India have suddenly shot up in the contest. A flat track at Mohali has given most batsmen their batsmen second wind and the injury of Kumble has brought us Mishra, the orthodox leg-spinner - the only type of bowler besides the furiously fast who can cause damage on good batting surfaces too.

The Indian openers have given us three good starts in four innings and Ponting's lack of self-belief (by which I mean belief in his team) has been the icing on the cake.

This is the weakest Aussie side I can recall (in terms of how they have performed) after the Simpson led scratch side of the Packer era. Its India's best chance because though Australia may remain weak (if not get weaker) but India may be getting the last ounce of juice out of their aging batting stars.
Yeah the team is a good one, just the people that were expected to perform haven't and it's really hurt. We place so much emphasis on our two best bowlers that when they don't perform we're screwed - the fact that they're 32 (almost) and 33 is a pretty big concern.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dhoni's batting only becomes problematic if India want to play 5 bowlers, as it's debatable whether he'll ever be a good Test number 6.

His average of 34 is just fine for coming in at 7.
34 might be OK, if it weren't so inflated by knocks on featherbeds. Everyone scores more on flat pitches, but Dhoni only scores on flat pitches or against bad bowling, with very few exceptions.