• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Precambrian

Banned
Well for one, he is the captain. Second, I'll back a guy with 600 wickets to come good than any new guy.
A 600 wickettaker or 1200 wickettaker invariably age and lose their skills. What else can explain such a pathetic average this current year? And remember that this year he's played in 6 tests in the subcontinent.

Him being captain was only a temporary arrangement, to give Dhoni the breathing space for transition from ODI captaincy to Test Captaincy, and he's shown that he's ready to take over.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A 600 wickettaker or 1200 wickettaker invariably age and lose their skills. What else can explain such a pathetic average this current year? And remember that this year he's played in 6 tests in the subcontinent.
What can explain pathetic averages Sachin has had for similar periods? It's part of the game.

Precambrian

Banned
No, it's not clear at all. It's possible, but not clear.
I don't exactly like stats only to tell the story. However in this case, stats alone is required to support my argument. I'd have rooted for him had he averaged even in the late 30s, providing for the 3 tests he had in Australia, but an average of 53, esp after having 6 of 9 tests in subcontinent, clearly shows he's lost the zip.

And as to his captaincy, his terrible bowling has started to affect that too as we saw in Bangalore, Even during the short while Dhoni captained in that test, there was a marked change in the approach, and once Kumble came in, things again started to drift from India's hold.

He's certainly been the biggest matchwinner for India, and would make to Indian all time XI. However, it's been time he realised his body cant match his mental needs, and call it a day graciously.

Precambrian

Banned
Dhoni has not proven he can hold a bat in Tests, though his keeping is certainly good.
Cannot hold a bat, but averages 34 in test matches? And whom are you suggesting for his replacement then? Karthik? Patel? Lol!

I cant believe that you want Dhoni to do a Gilly. Sorry but Gilly is once in a century player. Dhoni cannot be like him, but that doesnt mean that he is not test class. Most teams will be over the moon if they had a keeper who can bat like him!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think about whether you would drop Sachin if someone who would replaced him for a Test scored a century. You probably wouldn't. Kumble has won more Tests for India than any other player, including Tendulkar.

And he is also the captain.
What Kumble has done 5, 6 years past is less relevant than what he has been doing in the past year, which is bowling poorly and not taking wickets.

Tendulkar is past his peak as well, but his performances are still good enough to justify a place in the current line up. Kumble's are not.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well for one, he is the captain. Second, I'll back a guy with 600 wickets to come good than any new guy.
You might as well argue for Kapil Dev to be given the new ball with that logic.

What a player has achieved in his career to date is utterly irrelevant if he's not producing the goods. Kumble, for the last year, has kept his place on reputation alone. Had Piyush Chawla debuted against Australia, and returned the same figures in all subsequent Tests that Kumble has, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. We'd all agree that Chawla at the moment wasn't good enough, and that he should be replaced.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dhoni has not proven he can hold a bat in Tests, though his keeping is certainly good.
Dhoni's batting only becomes problematic if India want to play 5 bowlers, as it's debatable whether he'll ever be a good Test number 6.

His average of 34 is just fine for coming in at 7.

ret

International Debutant
Kumble should take a leaf out of Ganguly's book and retire sooner than later .... It's always good to go on a high than go when no one needs you

There is no doubt that Kumble can come up with a good performance here and there but that consistency is gone .... I would suggest both the B'lore boys, i.e. Kumble and Dravid to start looking for other career opportunity

For his contributions to Indian cricket, give Kumble all the accolades, awards and $$$

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni's batting only becomes problematic if India want to play 5 bowlers, as it's debatable whether he'll ever be a good Test number 6.

His average of 34 is just fine for coming in at 7.
Yes, I don't think Dhoni's batting is concerning India anywhere near as much as Haddin's is Australia's, even allowing for his efforts last test int eh 2nd dig when he batted well. I suspect we were spoiled for too long with Gilchrist.

pasag

RTDAS
Yes, I don't think Dhoni's batting is concerning India anywhere near as much as Haddin's is Australia's, even allowing for his efforts last test int eh 2nd dig when he batted well. I suspect we were spoiled for too long with Gilchrist.
Not long enough - he shouldn't have been pushed out by the media.

Julian87

State Captain
Sol averaging 36 after 4 matches is problematic? FMD some Australians set their standards too high. Even if he gets single figures for the rest of the Indian tour he deserves the entire Australian summer in the test team. It isn't like anyone else truly deserves a go at the spot, whereas Haddin really did deserve his go. And it isn't like he has been a miserable failure, especially considering India is probably the hardest place to keep and bat at the beginning of your career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've been pretty devastated with the Aussie bowling lineup in this game. It doesn't help that we've only got 1 or 2 of the best 5 bowlers in the country sending down the overs.

Kinda hope that the sight screen gets stuck for the next two days..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Me and Cribb have a bet on who will end up with a higher Test Average Dhoni vs Haddin. Interesting times, FTR I went Dhoni.

Polo23

International Debutant
"I think we can win it," he said. "If we're set 430 or something in four or five sessions, I've got no doubt, if we bat well, we can chase down anything. The wicket is still playing well. There's a bit of turn and the ball will go reverse. If we bat extremely well, I really believe we can chase down anything."
Australia...still as arrogant as ever.

What one earth makes him believe they can chase down 430+ Hey Watson you moron, you only scored 269 in the first innings, plus you were plumb LBW on about 30 and given not out.

Crazy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

What one earth makes him believe they can chase down 430+ Hey Watson you moron, you only scored 269 in the first innings, plus you were plumb LBW on about 30 and given not out.

Crazy.
Yeah, you're right. Should forfeit now, the game is over.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Crazy.
Australia only made 269 and it was a failure.

We have some players in our team Hayden, Ponting, Clark who are decent enough to perhaps not fail twice.

It's obviously going to be tough, but now Dhoni may think, yeah 430 isn't enough and bat just that little bit too long and Australia end up drawing the match..