• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there's a very real argument, though, for Mishra actually being the better bowler at this moment in time. I don't think you could do that for Tendulkar and his replacement, whoever that might be.
Name me a captain that's been dropped and we'll talk.
Should retire, tho.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because he is the CAPTAIN.

Mishra bowled better doesn't and shouldn't mean anything as far as Kumble's position in the team is concerned. Kumble is the Captain of the team and he should come back If he is fit. And as far as merit is concerned, Let's not go there. One match versus 19 years, it is really ridiculous to even question the merits.
All utterly irrelevant points. Who's been the better bowler this series, Mishra or Kumble?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Where's the dunce that said Sehwag couldn't make 2nd innings runs?
I think this year Sehwag is out to disprove that theory. Remember his big hundred in Australia this year? Wasn't that in the second innings too.?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All utterly irrelevant points. Who's been the better bowler this series, Mishra or Kumble?
Yeah but one innings shouldn't be enough basis to oust a 600 wicket veteran especially if Anil can prove that his shoulder is 100% right for Delhi. Mishy will have plenty of chances in the future and hs cemented himself as the heir apparent. That's all for mine.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah but one innings shouldn't be enough basis to oust a 600 wicket veteran especially if Anil can prove that his shoulder is 100% right for Delhi. Mishy will have plenty of chances in the future and hs cemented himself as the heir apparent. That's all for mine.
Agreed entirely. Let's not forget that Kumble has an outstanding record in Delhi, including that famous 10/74 he took against Pakistan.

pup11

International Coach
I think Australia need to think long and hard about Cameron White's role in the team. By turning to Clarke before White, as Ponting invariably seems to do, it's clear there's no confidence in White to be our frontline spinner. And, batting at eight, his spot can't be justified by his batting.

The problem for White as I see it is that there is simply no scope for improvement in him as a spinner, in the sense that if he keeps the same action, there is no way - no matter how much experience he gains - that he'll be able to turn the ball enough to perform the role of a frontline spinner.
I can't help but agree with you on this, White is not going to cause any problems to international players in any form of the game with the kind of leg-spin he bowls atm, the problem is more technical more than anything else, he doesn't use his front shoulder at all while he is in his delivery stride and due to that he hardly gets any side-spin, tbf to White his accuracy on this tour has improved a lot, he is pitching the ball most of the times in the right areas, but without any turn he just isn't a threat for a batsman and that has been very much the case on this tour so far, the surprising thing is this is a very basic technical fault that he has in his bowling action, and i am surprised none of the spin coaches that he has worked with could help him fix this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally i'd keep my mouth shut. They have played so poorly, and not even looked like taking a wicket that i'd be more worried about my own performance than spouting off crap about how we were going to win.
come on, now... It is called "being positive".. It is not arrogance..

pasag

RTDAS
I know it's not fair, but if you're Australia who would you want to face? A guy that's just run through your attack, not by chance but through great bowling, or a guy who has been averaging heaps over the past year? I know I'd be delighted if Kumble came back for the next match from a fan's pov. If you look at it from that perspective it's a fairly easy decision. There's fair and then there's what wins you matches.

pasag

RTDAS
come on, now... It is called "being positive".. It is not arrogance..
Yeah, if he said Australia will win it it would have been stupid, but he didn't so it's not.

Watto said:
"I think we can win it," he said. "If we're set 430 or something in four or five sessions, I've got no doubt, if we bat well, we can chase down anything. The wicket is still playing well. There's a bit of turn and the ball will go reverse. If we bat extremely well, I really believe we can chase down anything."

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know it's not fair, but if you're Australia who would you want to face? A guy that's just run through your attack, not by chance but through great bowling, or a guy who has been averaging heaps over the past year? I know I'd be delighted if Kumble came back for the next match from a fan's pov. If you look at it from that perspective it's a fairly easy decision. There's fair and then there's what wins you matches.
I'm not 100% sure that Mishy would be the bigger threat next match. His googly surprised a lot of batsmen first up but I reckon they'll figure it out sooner or later and that's his main weapon done. Still think on a deck like Delhi usually is Kumble would pose more problems if he is genuinely 100% ready to go.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree but they might want to give him another run on the sort of tracks where he can get people out.

Honestly, I would want Mishra to play as well, but it is understandable if Kumble was fit and Mishra gets dropped... Didn't it work that way for Australia with Shane Warne and MacGill... Heck, Warne only got dropped after a prolonged set of poor matches, IIRC..

Burgey

I can't help but agree with you on this, White is not going to cause any problems to international players in any form of the game with the kind of leg-spin he bowls atm, the problem is more technical more than anything else, he doesn't use his front shoulder at all while he is in his delivery stride and due to that he hardly gets any side-spin, tbf to White his accuracy on this tour has improved a lot, he is pitching the ball most of the times in the right areas, but without any turn he just isn't a threat for a batsman and that has been very much the case on this tour so far, the surprising thing is this is a very basic technical fault that he has in his bowling action, and i am surprised none of the spin coaches that he has worked with could help him fix this.
AWTA and HJ's post.

White's role was also tenable (just, in the absence of McGain) if Lee and Clark were getting the job done. He could bowl a few overs here and there and keep things tight.

But with Lee seemingly innocuous ATM and Clark injured he's not the answer.

The question, though, is Who Is? Had there been no injuries or unavailabilites, presumably the side would have been:

Katich
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Clark
McGain

On paper, the side that's there now, with Watson at 6 and White at 8, bats deeper, but in truth I don't think it does.

Top_Cat

It would probably help if he bowls a decent amount for Victoria too. Suffering from a severe lack of overs, is White. As I've pointed out, a bloke like Andy Symonds bowled more overs last year in fewer matches than White did.

Easy. In Delhi, Kumble wins India matches so Mishra should miss out. Sucks for him but he's only 25, plenty of time for him to cement a place after Kumble is gone. Probably depends on how well he bowls in the second dig too. Yes he ran through the Aussies and did bowl well but how much of that is because he was an unknown quantity? Can you guarantee he'll have the same effect in the next innings or next Test? His overuse of the wrong'un might count against him now the Aussies knows how much he uses it; not as if it's unpickable. Don't think someone can fluke a 5-fer on debut purely because he's an unknown quantity?

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63866.html

This is assuming Kumble is fit too. I get the feeling he's been carrying for a while now. If he's still unfit then, sure, keep Mishra.

pup11

International Coach
:laugh:

Anyone who thinks Australia can win the game from this position is in dreamland, and quite possibly in denial.

They could definitely escape with a draw, if they bat fantastically well...but if they win the game i'll eat my shoes.
Mate you don't expect any team to come out and say that "yeah guys we were out of this game as soon as Mike Hussey got out, now all we could do is work our backsides off to make sure we somehow get out of this game with a draw", Watson was just trying to sound positive there, no big deal every team does that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Easy. In Delhi, Kumble wins India matches so Mishra should miss out. Sucks for him but he's only 25, plenty of time for him to cement a place after Kumble is gone. Probably depends on how well he bowls in the second dig too. Yes he ran through the Aussies and did bowl well but how much of that is because he was an unknown quantity? Can you guarantee he'll have the same effect in the next innings or next Test? His overuse of the wrong'un might count against him now the Aussies knows how much he uses it; not as if it's unpickable. Don't think someone can fluke a 5-fer on debut purely because he's an unknown quantity?
He took wickets because he bowled better than Kumble, simple as. This isn't exactly a raging turner of a pitch either, and Mishra's just looked more threatening.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's one innings combined with Kumble being poor for a year.

Top_Cat

He took wickets because he bowled better than Kumble, simple as. This isn't exactly a raging turner of a pitch either, and Mishra's just looked more threatening.
Again, how much of that is because the Aussies hadn't played him much before (at all?)? With Kumble, you know exactly what you're getting from him yet, especially in Delhi, he's beaten teams time and time again. And with Mishra, who's the say his one trick hasn't been exposed now? Too many unknowns with him to pick him over Kumble (assuming, again, he's fit) just yet.