• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Woodster

International Captain
Sorry, it's not about this one day, all these people including Lawrence have been part of a hideous batting line-up, except Root who holds it together for some of the time, so mucking him about to humour a bunch of losers seems bizarre. A number of people have scored runs at 3 this year in county Championship, play them, there that solved that problem.

I really am not sure how you can say any of the rest "deserve" anything, except for flogging obviously, but I guess the "woke brigade" will say that's not acceptable nowadays, pfft..
I just think three is pivotal and we’re just throwing kids in to the role that are not equipped and then surprised when they fail. I’m not suggesting put Root there and all problems are resolved and if Root is really against the idea then I’m wouldn’t necessarily wish to upset him.

I appreciate some people don’t think it’s worth moving Root from his favoured position, I just think it would benefit the team and balances it better.

I don’t think you can say Lawrence was part of a hideous batting line up therefore shouldn’t be considered, if that’s what you are saying? Some knocks in the Caribbean offered hope of a real player there and I don’t think we’re in a position with batsmen to overlook that.

I understand the valuein picking a three that’s scored runs, but who in particular do you mean? Brooke Guest? Dawid Malan? Ben Duckett?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
With Colin in this kinda form, I've gotta think that Mitchell is surplus to requirements, but in Nicholls' absence I'm not sure who'd replace him.
I have supported Mitchell quite a bit but he's clearly much better suited to bat 6 than 5, especially when next-man-in Blundell is struggling so much with the bat too.

Agree Mitchell should sit out when Nicholls returns, probably until CDG finishes this second-coming (has been a revelation to me) and retires.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I have supported Mitchell quite a bit but he's clearly much better suited to bat 6 than 5, especially when next-man-in Blundell is struggling so much with the bat too.

Agree Mitchell should sit out when Nicholls returns, probably until CDG finishes this second-coming (has been a revelation to me) and retires.
CDG is going to go all Jimmy Anderson and never retire.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Massive innings today for Will Young. They've shown trust in him as an opener with Rutherford and Ravindra sent away. He batted really well in the Dutch ODIs, for Northants, and the NZ warm-ups, but really struggled against South Africa (8, 3, 0) and in the first innings here (1). Would love it if we could wrap up the tail relatively cheaply and then Young and Latham put on 70+ plus runs.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see that Joe Root now has exactly 9900 runs and averages exactly 49. If he reaches 100 in the second innings (which will depend on NZ batting much much better in setting a target) he will reach 10,000.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Massive innings today for Will Young. They've shown trust in him as an opener with Rutherford and Ravindra sent away. He batted really well in the Dutch ODIs, for Northants, and the NZ warm-ups, but really struggled against South Africa (8, 3, 0) and in the first innings here (1). Would love it if we could wrap up the tail relatively cheaply and then Young and Latham put on 70+ plus runs.
I don’t know that the trust in him is the best thing for his career, the manner of his recent dismissals suggests he would really be better off with a middle order slot, at least when Nicholls or Kane are out injured.

Ever since Raval’s meltdown in 2019-20 I don’t think there’s been a single test NZ have gone in with two regular openers (2005-2008 era anyone?).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stating the obvious, but we just need one good innings 2nd dig. England aren't chasing >320 batting last.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Not death riding him as he’s doing very very well on debut

Potts is just another 80 mph bowler of average height

I get why he’s been picked but meh unless he can really crank it up
In previous seasons i'd agree. But county decks have been very flat this season and he took over 30 wickets getting some cracking bounce from placid pitches.

Woodster

International Captain
I like what I see with Potts, it’s not X-factor stuff admittedly but he runs in, hits the deck hard and the seam and has fitness and stamina to do so all day (as a rule!), hopefully that can translate into the further demands of Test cricket.

Not exactly sure how’s he best utilised with Durham? He seems to be a bowler that can bowl long spells rather than an impact bowler that’s best served in short spells. This is not based on much evidence mind.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Huh, just realised that Southee has now played 5 tests at Lords. I wonder if any other New Zealander has featured in that many.