• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anyway hoping Boult just zips through the tail for a 5fer, we come out with some resolve and grind them into the dust with the bat, then Boult gets his 10fer for the match and onto the honour boards. Badabing badaboult.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is certainly the first 15+ wicket day I've seen where incompetence more than anything else has caused most dismissals. Nowhere near a Centurion wicketfest in terms of batting difficulty.

Flem274*

123/5
Well this was chaos to wake up to.

Bagged them hard last night so gotta pay credit to the attack. Good work boys. Now finish them please please please

2 day test?:ph34r:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing we have a chance for a 1st innings lead. Anyway, need to wrap it up quickly and bat properly. This match is still alive which is hard to believe after after 12/4 and 36/6 etc.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing worse in quality that the batting is the ECB's highlights - like they were uploaded through a connection from 2002.

Potts is pretty much the second coming of Roland-Jones style wise, similar pace, high action, slanting the ball in a bit, wobbly seam.

Woodster

International Captain
So, one day into the Test summer seems a pretty good time to make some knee jerk reactions/predictions/judgements.

The two openers possibly deserve to start the summer in the XI, neither concrete in their position but in terms of continuity and giving them enough to rope to hang themselves or put in some decent performances, it seems fair. Crawley looks superb and then snicks off, Lees looks organised and set for the day, then gets out. Neither really convince and for me I’d like us to return to Sam Robson. Knows his game much better and I’ve no issue giving the role to an experienced player rather than a promising kid.

Root should be batting three. Ok he’s earned the right to bat where he prefers but I’m sure he can be just as big a success at three and allow someone like Pope to bat in a position he bats in first-class. It won’t happen so I’d stick with Pope at three for now until I can think of some viable alternatives. I do think Pope will be a Test quality batsman in his career.

Root at four and for me Dan Lawrence comes back in when he’s fully fit at five. Positive and selfless cricketer just what Stokes and BMac are looking for, Bairstow we kind of know what we’ll get and I’m not sure it’s as good as what Lawrence can be.

Stokes at six and Foakes deserves the summer with the gloves at seven. Started the season superbly and is amongst the best glovemen in world cricket.

I think we now finally have the best attack available to us currently in Anderson, Broad, Potts and Parkinson. Potts is a surprise and haven’t seen loads of him but couldn’t be anything other than impressed today. Shame for Leach again though!

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
For Baz's first game in charge, having one of his players concussion himself out of the test because he chased a boundary too hard into the fence..... seems quite apt?

Although, its never actually happened before in his NZ teams that anyone injured themselves, but gave cause to wince and pray a few times.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Did they really only bowl 76 overs in a day though
Haha yeah. I mean obviously 17 wickets is a lot, but at most that only would've caused about a half hour of additional delays over what you'd normally expect on day 1 of a test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anything less than a 50 run lead and I'd probably back NZ as favourites to win this. Should have the best of the batting conditions against a deflated opposition on day 2, before the clouds roll in on days 3 and 4.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
That must be CdG's first test wicket in a long time, like 2 years or so? Really dried up since Jamieson came in and took his 3rd seamer bowling spot. Need to look it up ...

Hes been stuck in the high 40 total test wickets for years and years.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, one day into the Test summer seems a pretty good time to make some knee jerk reactions/predictions/judgements.

The two openers possibly deserve to start the summer in the XI, neither concrete in their position but in terms of continuity and giving them enough to rope to hang themselves or put in some decent performances, it seems fair. Crawley looks superb and then snicks off, Lees looks organised and set for the day, then gets out. Neither really convince and for me I’d like us to return to Sam Robson. Knows his game much better and I’ve no issue giving the role to an experienced player rather than a promising kid.

Root should be batting three. Ok he’s earned the right to bat where he prefers but I’m sure he can be just as big a success at three and allow someone like Pope to bat in a position he bats in first-class. It won’t happen so I’d stick with Pope at three for now until I can think of some viable alternatives. I do think Pope will be a Test quality batsman in his career.

Root at four and for me Dan Lawrence comes back in when he’s fully fit at five. Positive and selfless cricketer just what Stokes and BMac are looking for, Bairstow we kind of know what we’ll get and I’m not sure it’s as good as what Lawrence can be.

Stokes at six and Foakes deserves the summer with the gloves at seven. Started the season superbly and is amongst the best glovemen in world cricket.

I think we now finally have the best attack available to us currently in Anderson, Broad, Potts and Parkinson. Potts is a surprise and haven’t seen loads of him but couldn’t be anything other than impressed today. Shame for Leach again though!
Sorry, it's not about this one day, all these people including Lawrence have been part of a hideous batting line-up, except Root who holds it together for some of the time, so mucking him about to humour a bunch of losers seems bizarre. A number of people have scored runs at 3 this year in county Championship, play them, there that solved that problem.

I really am not sure how you can say any of the rest "deserve" anything, except for flogging obviously, but I guess the "woke brigade" will say that's not acceptable nowadays, pfft..