• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Wade

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
While the top 3-4 continue to the fail we have little choice but to keep Wade in the team. He and Clarke are currently rebuiliding the innings yet again;

Aus 189/4 (61.5 ov, MS Wade 55*, MJ Clarke 70*, I Sharma 0/44) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The issues concerning Wade's current lack of catching form pale when compared to the problems that Cowan, Hughes, and Watson are creating for the middle and lower orders.
If Wade's batting really is better than that of the blokes in the top order but his glovework isn't up to it, then the answer is simple - drop a failing top order batsman for a wicket keeper. I really don't think it's exactly so though.

To me it just reminds me so, so much of the Matt Prior situation. He came into Test cricket and showed himself to be more than capable as a lower middle order batsman but substandard with the gloves early on. After ten Tests he was averaging over 40 overall and just come off this series where he was easily amongst England's best batsmen of the tour.. and they dropped him anyway because he was keeping like a clown. He went away and focused completely on his keeping, doing heaps of work with Alec Stewart until he'd improved enough to get back in the side, and he hasn't looked back.

Prior actually justified his place on batting alone at that point and England could've either just persisted with him despite his poor wicket keeping or moved him up a place and dropped Bopara for a wicket keeper, but they felt the best long-term investment in Prior would be to have him go away, improve his glovework and come back when ready. You certainly can't knock them for how that worked out in any way, so unless Wade's keeping improves on this tour then I think that's the path we should be looking down.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pews that might be the best way to go if the can get another 18 months/2 years out of Haddin if all his troubles are behind him. Wade can bat but his glovework is probably even worse than Prior's was in SL.

benchmark00

His maiden ton was one IMO. When was the last time Watson rescued with bat alone? (genuine question ftr)
Watson averaged mid forties with the bat as an opener. He played a number of significant innings playing as an opener. Hard to rescue when you're an opener...

watson

Banned
Hughes, Warner and Watson have all played more important knocks than Wade has. Wade has very rarely rescued anything. You mean Clarke and Hussey.
You took my sentence, quoted half of it, and then took it out of context. I was simply saying that the Aussie innings is being rebuilt yet again after the top order failed. Clarke and Wade happen to be batting, and Wade is making a good fist of it.

And so it appears that Australia's batting line-up currently needs his average of 37. Wally Grout coming in at 4-63 wouldn't help any. But of course if Cowan, Hughes, and Watson actually scored some decent runs then we could afford a Wally Grout type keeper/batsman.

benchmark00

You took my sentence, quoted half of it, and then took it out of context. I was simply saying that the Aussie innings is being rebuilt yet again after the top order failed. Clarke and Wade happen to be batting, and Wade is making a good fist of it.

And so it appears that Australia's batting line-up currently needs his average of 37. Wally Grout coming in at 4-63 wouldn't help any. But of course if Cowan, Hughes, and Watson actually scored some decent runs then we could afford a Wally Grout type keeper/batsman.
Your argument would make sense if Wade was in the top six bats in the country.

He's not.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Watson averaged mid forties with the bat as an opener. He played a number of significant innings playing as an opener. Hard to rescue when you're an opener...
Warner did. At least a couple of times IIRC. Again, not saying Wade>Watson or anything, but just since you brought that rescue part up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I actually wouldn't bat an eyelid or call someone's post bull**** if they did say that they think Wade is one of Australia's six best batsman.

It's just his glovework.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that he should be the benchmark but Wade's keeping is not appreciably worse than Dhoni's

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not that he should be the benchmark but Wade's keeping is not appreciably worse than Dhoni's
I loathe to ever defend Dhoni as a Test cricketer, but I reckon it is. Dhoni is a poor wicket keeper by Test standards. Wade currently is not a Test standard wicket keeper.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wadekeepingwatch - Not that I am saying he should be retained but Wade's keeping was acceptable today