• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall Vs Ambrose

Who was the superior fast bowler in test cricket?

• Malcolm Marshall

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Curtly Ambrose

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Can't split them

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How bad was it when Australia tried to emulate the WI in the 80s and early 90s by picking a fourth quick like a Joe Angel

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a call that I think ultimately comes down to personal preference. I really don't think it's as cut and dried as some of the earliest posters suggested.

Both absolutely in the very first rank of quicks and arguably as different bowlers as any geniuses with the "right arm fast" assignation can be. Marshall the magician who could make the ball sing the sweetest of melodies; Ambrose the metronome who dealt in tiny fractional variations.

I'd probably go for the big fella because I saw more of his pomp, but I could easily be swayed on another day when I'm not riddled with cold and feeling nostalgic.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Never saw Marshall play, but I remember seeing Curtly bowling in the 92/93 World Series and he was just awesome. Him and Walsh were if anything even more terrifying a duo than Wasim and Waqar, they way they towered over opposition players.

Burgey

Ambrose was the bloke you'd hide behind the lounge when you were watching the game as he bowled his spell, because you just got the impression he could knock over a side at any given moment. I sort of didn't get that feeling with Marshall, mostly because I was cowering behind the lounge when any of their bowlers in hie era got the ball.

Slifer

International Captain
Ambrose had to bowl vs better batsmen on flatter tracks than malcolm. Ambrose wins
Not too sure about the flatter pitches but Amby arguably bowled vs better lineups (esp Australia) but I'd still give Macko the edge. Damn shame the current state of WI bowling.

Burgey

I remember when Roach and Taylor really looked the business, but it never really happened for WI with them being fit and in form together.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
you just got the impression he could knock over a side at any given momentl.
And sort of felt he could do it at will if he wanted to, at least as a kid.

He could be a petulant ****er, but when he was on song I can't imagine any more fearsome bowler in world cricket ever.

Kirkut

International Regular
They both had 12 year careers so not sure you can use the longevity argument.
Ambrose made his debut quite late although he was playing first class cricket since the age of 21. The thing about Ambrose is that he never needed pace, he generated discomforting bounce to pick wickets, he was good enough to play cricket till the age of 40. Marshall was not that effective when he lost his pace.

watson

Banned
Ambrose made his debut quite late although he was playing first class cricket since the age of 21. The thing about Ambrose is that he never needed pace, he generated discomforting bounce to pick wickets, he was good enough to play cricket till the age of 40. Marshall was not that effective when he lost his pace.
Except that in his last year before retirement from Test cricket Marshall played 10 Tests and took 41 wickets at 21.43. His Strike Rate was 48.0

Not a bad way to finish.

Zinzan

Ambrose is in my top 3 fast bowlers of all time, only problem is Marshall's no.1.

Burgey

He's a very astute reader of the game. It just gets drowned out on orders from on high.