• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonbrooks chucking Megathread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Surprised with so few likes on this. A sigworthy expression of bigheaded ignorance deserves more. It's how I get most of my likes.
You are the ignorant one on this. You asked me to explain what you think the law should be. I even did that. Any ways.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Idontunderstandanythingbutwillkeepsayingmybiasedopinionisright said:
Maybe Ashwin doesn't understand chucking either honestbharani?

“Carrom ball is a proper knuckle ball and it can't be bowled with an offspinner's grip,” Ashwin said.

“It is a finger-spinning ball and you don't use the wrist or elbow to bowl it it's like a legal leg-break. But I don't think the doosra can be bowled without bending your arm, may be the topspinner but not the doosra,” he added.

Who here said you can bowl the doosra without bending your arm? The point is it is possible to bowl with just as much flex as any effort ball of any other type of bowler. Its not Ashwin or me or the other posters here who do not understand things. But continue to disagree with facts.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This outrage has been quite funny. Fact is current chucking laws are flawed and allow chuckers to bowl as long as they do it within 15 degrees. Within 15 degrees a bowler can throw with all the force they want. Yet, people will defend it because that's the law and it's facts and it should be defended with all the honour. Heh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And after that, you have to be a phd in muraliscience, else your opinion doesn't matter. Doesn't matter if it's Holding or Bedi or any one.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually now a Consultant Nephrologist. Sports Med was my pet subject.
Huh I was considering this but can't stand dialysis (not sure why, go figure) and spent enough time around it during my Intern rotation to last me a lifetime

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad on why he liked the old system:

Anyway, I don't think the old system was "unfair on certain types of bowlers" at all, unless by that you mean bowlers who appeared to chuck. I'll offer another example though, in terms of favouring the view of the umpires over scientific methodology off-field in modern cricket. In an LBW decision, it doesn't actually matter in any technical sense whether or not, say, the ball pitches outside leg-stump, it only matters how the umpire views it. It might matter when it comes to assessing the performance of the umpire, and that's fair enough, but it doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not the batsman is out. When Katich was given out LBW during his crucial innings in the Old Trafford test last year, the ball pitched a foot or so outside leg, but he was out because the umpire didn't think it did. You can analyse the video footage however you like, but it doesn't change the fact of the situation, or the bearing that the umpire's decision had on the match or on Katich's career (which may well be still going in tests, had he scored a century that day and saved the game).

It's a situation we see a lot in modern cricket, where we can view an umpire's decision after the fact and comment on it, but the commentary has no bearing on the results. Umpires which incorrectly or unfairly make chucking calls will undoubtedly be vilified or downgraded from the top level, but their decisions should stand because that is their purpose in the game. It is idiotic to create a law that umpires cannot enforce and allow those that break the rules to have free reign simply to avoid controversial decisions. The correct move for the good of the sport would be to restore the rules to either the umpire's view of the actual level of elbow flexion (especially given that 15 degrees is meant to be the level at which it is visible to the human eye), in which case most of the bowlers who get reported would be called from time to time, or alternatively to a point where it is the judgement of the umpire as to the intent of the bowler, and whether or not he is attempting to gain an advantage by straigtening his arm in delivery. Simple and enforcable, and true to the basic principles of the game. Until a better method can be instituted, that's the way to go.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS on the stupid new law (2004)

I think the way the law is framed at the moment, it is not fair to call any one a cheat. If 14.9 degrees flex is okay and 15.1 degree is not, surely you can, at best call them legal and illegal deliveries not measures of honesty and dishonesty.

Coming to Harbhajan being called, its impossible to bowl the doosra without bending and then straightening the arm so its a throw by the old law anyway. By the new law its a delivery that could transgress the limit !! Stupid law :@

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS on can one bowl the doosra without throwing it:

I think one can try. But it would be very difficult to get much purchase and nowhere near as much control because of the very nature of the delivery.

It relies much more on wrist action (throwing the wrist forward rather than turning it around as wrist is normally used in spin bowling) and you can easily try to propel an object using your wrist and you will find that it is very difficult to do it without the elbow coming into play. The moment you use the wrist to propel an object with the other movement of the arm being from the shoulder and not the elbow the final outcome is pretty feeble and not as acurately directed. Badminton or other racquet games are good examples.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol @ Pratters not understanding the basic fact that those posts were responded to and dealt with at the time itself. And we can also quote the 100s of other posts that point out what is wrong with those posts.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS on can one bowl the doosra without throwing it:

I think one can try. But it would be very difficult to get much purchase and nowhere near as much control because of the very nature of the delivery.

It relies much more on wrist action (throwing the wrist forward rather than turning it around as wrist is normally used in spin bowling) and you can easily try to propel an object using your wrist and you will find that it is very difficult to do it without the elbow coming into play. The moment you use the wrist to propel an object with the other movement of the arm being from the shoulder and not the elbow the final outcome is pretty feeble and not as acurately directed. Badminton or other racquet games are good examples.

How is that a contradiction to anything we have been saying? Unless you are suggesting SJS says every delivery but the doosra can be bowled without using the wrists and elbows, which I don't think he was.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This outrage has been quite funny. Fact is current chucking laws are flawed and allow chuckers to bowl as long as they do it within 15 degrees. Within 15 degrees a bowler can throw with all the force they want. Yet, people will defend it because that's the law and it's facts and it should be defended with all the honour. Heh.
Actually Pratters that the current law is flawed is not a fact, it's your opinion, and one I have some time for even if I can't think of a better alternative. It does amaze we had to go through all those pages of near hysterical posting to get here though