• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root v Virat Kohli

Bijed

International Regular
Yes because Root has to mean Joe Root. Someone with a username like GIMH shouldn't even talk about usernames anyway. Also, is never said Root sucks. Looks like the poms here are constantly on the lookout for an argument if you don't subscribe to the view that Murray and Eoot are gods.
Out of curiosity, who/what does in mean in this case?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally like a lot of posters here (rightly or wrongly), place a heavy weighting on Test cricket when rating International players overall.

My weightings are probably 60% Tests, 30% ODIs & 10% T20s, so for that reason I do have the Root & Kohli battle as very close since Root is the better Test player currently for mine.

If however, I was rating the forms equally, or even a little more evenly than above, then Kohli would be ahaead hands-down, based on the fact he's on another planet than Root when it comes to either ODIs or T20s.

IIRC, you previously made an argument that Root is not far off Kohli in ODIs, and I find that quite laughable. If you can't see Kohli is only rivaled by AB when it comes to white ball cricket, with both being among the best 4-5 ODI bats ever, then you just can't be looking at it objectively.
My take on this is simple - they are vastly different formats, and the way LO cricket has evolved in the last decade, they have really gone in different directions, as such require very different skill sets. What makes Kohli a gun LO player is often what becomes his weakness in tests in England - those extravagant off side drives that he loves to play and his need to feel bat on ball and not leave as much. They have to be different conversations now.

Dan_M_Bali

U19 Debutant
I seriously doubt Kohli would be able to tell the difference between a decent shiraz and a rioja... despite his supposed net worth of 40+ million US dollars. This I'm afraid will always count against him when discussing his supposed greatness.

listento_me

U19 Captain
no.

root and kohli are actually good.
But they aren't Ali or Frazier...or even Barrera and Morales.

It seems to me that you are just trying to stir crap and provoke people especially Root and Kohli fans. Regardless of who is better of the two, both will end up better than UAE Khan who averages 40 outside the subcontinent and will end up better than Miandad as well who was a dud against the best team of his time. Cut it out.
Miandad has 2 centuries in 7 tests against the might Windies so...oh and both in the Windies too

I personally like a lot of posters here (rightly or wrongly), place a heavy weighting on Test cricket when rating International players overall.

My weightings are probably 60% Tests, 30% ODIs & 10% T20s, so for that reason I do have the Root & Kohli battle as very close since Root is the better Test player currently for mine.

If however, I was rating the forms equally, or even a little more evenly than above, then Kohli would be ahaead hands-down, based on the fact he's on another planet than Root when it comes to either ODIs or T20s.

IIRC, you previously made an argument that Root is not far off Kohli in ODIs, and I find that quite laughable. If you can't see Kohli is only rivaled by AB when it comes to white ball cricket, with both being among the best 4-5 ODI bats ever, then you just can't be looking at it objectively.
You are looking simply at Kohlis ODI numbers but Root has less than half the ODI matches than Kohli plus is about 3 years younger. Root at this stagei n his career is very comparable to Kohli at that stage in his ODI career, which is why I said there's not a huge gap like some are saying. 5 years down the line, the numbers will probably be even more comparable and Roots skill of batting better on trickier, more swinging pitches/conditions will help him even more.

In terms of the tests v ODI argument, both are important when judging a cricketer but of course tests are more important as they allow a batsman to reveal many for facets of their game. Take into account the fact that both men have played the same number of tests and been test batsmen for a similar period of time, Root's test batting is on a different league to Kohlis. Not just the numbers but how he gets those runs AND when he scores them, often in match winning innings.

Kohli is only just starting to catch up, in a season dominated by like a million home games on the most flaccid pitches around...at an older age to Root. It's normally the younger batsman who has to try and catch the older pro.

Not here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Miandad has 2 centuries in 7 tests against the might Windies so...oh and both in the Windies too

You are looking simply at Kohlis ODI numbers but Root has less than half the ODI matches than Kohli plus is about 3 years younger. Root at this stagei n his career is very comparable to Kohli at that stage in his ODI career, which is why I said there's not a huge gap like some are saying. 5 years down the line, the numbers will probably be even more comparable and Roots skill of batting better on trickier, more swinging pitches/conditions will help him even more.

In terms of the tests v ODI argument, both are important when judging a cricketer but of course tests are more important as they allow a batsman to reveal many for facets of their game. Take into account the fact that both men have played the same number of tests and been test batsmen for a similar period of time, Root's test batting is on a different league to Kohlis. Not just the numbers but how he gets those runs AND when he scores them, often in match winning innings.

Kohli is only just starting to catch up, in a season dominated by like a million home games on the most flaccid pitches around...at an older age to Root. It's normally the younger batsman who has to try and catch the older pro.

Not here.

Yep.. AshWIN is therefore the GOAT bowler, and by extension, the GOAT allrounder.

Rootfan

Banned

Not here.
MIandad averaged 33.75 in West Indies and 38.07 in Aus. He was a great batsman at home when Shakor Rana was umpiring but merely a passable decentish bat away from such comforts.

listento_me

U19 Captain
There is another question which can be asked.

Who out of Root and Kohli do you think will end up with the most test runs?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
riddle me this.

is the ranking of these batsmen genuinely very fluid from month to month or do too many of us take a 'what have you done for me lately?' approach too soon.

before the current india-england series i doubt many would have taken kohli over root as a test match batsman, but looking at peoples opinions right now a lot of people are down on root for his inability to convert and raving big time for kohli who is being lauded in many parts as the finest player on the planet.

smith struggles to make a score (admittedly in some part due to his teammates ineptitude) against south africa and gets some stick, whacks pakistan about and is lauded again.

williamson seems to be taking some flack at the moment but i haven't followed that one so closely.

social media has made people such fickle ****s.

but seriously root, you need to ton up more or you'll get left behind.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
riddle me this.

is the ranking of these batsmen genuinely very fluid from month to month or do too many of us take a 'what have you done for me lately?' approach too soon.

before the current india-england series i doubt many would have taken kohli over root as a test match batsman, but looking at peoples opinions right now a lot of people are down on root for his inability to convert and raving big time for kohli who is being lauded in many parts as the finest player on the planet.

smith struggles to make a score (admittedly in some part due to his teammates ineptitude) against south africa and gets some stick, whacks pakistan about and is lauded again.

williamson seems to be taking some flack at the moment but i haven't followed that one so closely.

social media has made people such fickle ****s.

but seriously root, you need to ton up more or you'll get left behind.
I agree we tend to be fickle, but I suppose in the case of Root, Kohli & Smith as Test bats right atm, it is a damn close thing.

That said, I honestly don't recall one person actually saying Kohli is a better test bat than Root, just that he made some giant strides in this latest series, & he has been superb.