• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root v Virat Kohli

listento_me

U19 Captain
I agree we tend to be fickle, but I suppose in the case of Root, Kohli & Smith as Test bats right atm, it is a damn close thing.

That said, I honestly don't recall one person actually saying Kohli is a better test bat than Root, just that he made some giant strides in this latest series, & he has been superb.
yep, in terms of what is happening right NOW Kohli has really shone but he still isn't a superior test bat then Root. In terms of Smith...he scores ugly runs and I'd much rather watch Kohli tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kohli's problem a couple of years ago was that when he scored tons he didn't go very big. I think of his first 5 or 6 tons (it might even have been more than that) his high score was only 120. He's always had a pretty decent conversion rate.

Root's problem is the opposite. Cbf to check but I reckon he gets to 50 more than any of his contemporaries but has the least hundreds.

Bijed

International Regular
Root's problem is the opposite. Cbf to check but I reckon he gets to 50 more than any of his contemporaries but has the least hundreds.
Yeah, he has quite a lot more 50s than the others, but does indeed have fewer tons. Think he has the most 50+ scores in total, fwiw. Also have the impressions that his big scores are in general not as big as Smith's, but comparable to KW and Kohli.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the fawning over Kohli was mostly about his absurd 2016 in which he's averaging 100ish in all three formats.

deepakind

Cricket Spectator
Virat kohli is the Best As Compared to Joe Root because virat has lots of Experience in all format of the Cricket and Perform well in all situation. Virat always make runs for his team in all situation.

TheJediBrah

Virat kohli is the Best As Compared to Joe Root because virat has lots of Experience in all format of the Cricket and Perform well in all situation. Virat always make runs for his team in all situation.
Kohli is the indian Bradman

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I think the difference is Smith/Kohli are older and wiser so they are converting plenty of scores now. Whereas Root is considerably younger, so still has a mentality issue.

Of his 27 half centuries, 16 have been between 70-99. He converts half of them and there's no doubt who is the best test batsman in the world.

He gets himself out rather than the bowlers getting him out majority of the time.

Which is the most frustrating thing he'll look like he's set for scoring a double. Then play a loose shot and it's failure to convert again.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is not a good thing though. And in this series at least, he has been beaten by very good balls a lot more than he getting himself out. He looks well set and then gets out to some good bowling which is a bit strange but I do not see why he should be considered better than the other 3 at least based on this series.

Overall, not being able to convert is as much a weakness as a batsman as is any technical flaw AFAIC and the sooner he corrects it, the better. Definitely a joy to watch though and I still think he and KW are ahead of Smith and Kohli as test match batsmen across conditions and against all kinds of bowling.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Kohli is the indian Bradman
in what way? he doesn't even have the highest average of his generation lol

I think the difference is Smith/Kohli are older and wiser so they are converting plenty of scores now. Whereas Root is considerably younger, so still has a mentality issue.

Of his 27 half centuries, 16 have been between 70-99. He converts half of them and there's no doubt who is the best test batsman in the world.

He gets himself out rather than the bowlers getting him out majority of the time.

Which is the most frustrating thing he'll look like he's set for scoring a double. Then play a loose shot and it's failure to convert again.
I feel like age is a definite issue. When everyone talks of Root, we fail to remember he has barely been in the game half a decade and is still only 25 or 26. KOhlis been around since 2008 I believe and Smith since 2010, although he came in as a leggy lol

Root has a lot of time to mature and I'd be shocked if Root isn't THE batsman of world cricket aged 28.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. chk every post of his in this thread, or any thread for that matter. Guy bleeds when India and Indians do well. Absolutely loathes it. All these threads are just a way for him to vent about how someone, anyone is better than the Indian team or Indian players.

Pak's current form not helping matters too, I guess.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like age is a definite issue. When everyone talks of Root, we fail to remember he has barely been in the game half a decade and is still only 25 or 26. Kohlis been around since 2008 I believe and Smith since 2010, although he came in as a leggy lol

Root has a lot of time to mature and I'd be shocked if Root isn't THE batsman of world cricket aged 28.
The difference between this and OP is incredible.

vcs

Lol.. chk every post of his in this thread, or any thread for that matter. Guy bleeds when India and Indians do well. Absolutely loathes it. All these threads are just a way for him to vent about how someone, anyone is better than the Indian team or Indian players.

Pak's current form not helping matters too, I guess.
It would help if he wasn't so condescending when people pull him up for making **** arguments. But no, it's those nasty Indian fanboiz.