• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root v Virat Kohli

ma1978

State Vice-Captain
Surely with five double centuries, there is no question now. Kohli is the far superior test batsman, and the better ODI batsman, etc. etc.

For the record, I am shocked by those who rate Pujara higher than Kohli (centuries in Australia, South Africa, Windies, etc.)

At some point you people have to accept that average isn't everything.

Now, Steve Smith, on other hand...

Slifer

International Captain
Kohli is not "far" better than Root if at all. Let's be honest, Kohli and esp Pujara have recently benefitted from a highly favorable schedule. Not their fault as u can only play who's put infront of u. But give Root loads of home tests vs RSA, Oz, NZ, WI and away WI away and he'd probably be sitting prettier as well.( I used WI away as the closest equivalent to India playing in SL). It's touch and go between the two with maybe Kohli getting the edge due to his far better ability to convert.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ability to convert is arguably the most important trait in test cricket. Root needs to level up.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ability to convert is arguably the most important trait in test cricket. Root needs to level up.
It's second to runs in difficult conditions though, and in that sense Root is unmatched.

Well, after just scoring lots and lots of runs of course.

Surely with five double centuries, there is no question now. Kohli is the far superior test batsman, and the better ODI batsman, etc. etc.

For the record, I am shocked by those who rate Pujara higher than Kohli (centuries in Australia, South Africa, Windies, etc.)

At some point you people have to accept that average isn't everything.

Now, Steve Smith, on other hand...
Kohli really needs to be not-trash next English summer for me to rate him higher than Root. Not even amazing, just not a walking wicket again. That's a big black mark against him for mine.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Root has dipped down somewhat - still a very good batsman but he has been eclipsed by Kohli and Smith - and this goes back to last winter's series in India. Kohli is certainly the best cross format batsman of the three. Smith is best in tests (of the four).

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root has dipped down somewhat - still a very good batsman but he has been eclipsed by Kohli and Smith -
He's only had one bad match.

I don't think the conversion rate is quite as big a shortcoming for Root when it comes to a straight comparison with Kohli because he also gets to 50 a lot more often than Kohli does. But it's very concerning bevause this should be Root's peak when he converts these scores into big ones. It'd actually be less worrisome if he wasn't batting well, but he's batting beautifully and throws it away. When that inevitable decline in form comes and he still hasn't learned to convert by then, his record could take a pounding.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's kind of like the discussions we had around (yes, I know) Shane Watson when he was averaging 50 for a period without converting.

But that's kind of a byproduct: the main problem is that these unconverted fifties actually still leave the team in a tricky position when he gets out which is not quite what you need from your lynchpin.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's more that I'd back Root to be able to do it anywhere, more than anyone else in the world. He reminds me a bit of Clarke in that respect in that he might not be the flat out best batsman but he's the one you'd back when the team is 3/not many and the pitch is tough.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He's only had one bad match.

I don't think the conversion rate is quite as big a shortcoming for Root when it comes to a straight comparison with Kohli because he also gets to 50 a lot more often than Kohli does.
Don't agree entirely with that. Any batsman in the top 5 isn't there to play a pretty half an innings and get out. It would take more statsmongering than I'm prepared to do (which is none) to work out the difference it makes to the team to have someone making fewer fifties but bigger hundreds.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
I believe Kohli is the better overall batsman (taking into account all formats) but a lot of his test performances are helped by playing huge amounts of cricket at home - not sure if there has ever been a side which has played as much home cricket as current India, or which has players who have as large a percentage at home - and of course, playing against the lowly Lankans every other day.

Root is just about half level or a couple of West Indies series away from Kohli.

Smith however is the leader of the test arena. I don't think I have seen such ruthlessness to get runs in such a limited frame of play since the days of Kallis. In ODIs he lags behind a bit but I reckon he will catch up soon enough.