• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson -Finally World Class?

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
It wasn't ad hominem. I was referring to the gibberish you wrote and not to your character.

And yes, what you wrote was genuine gibberish. Sure let's leave Anderson's performance against Australia out of account because Australia were "imploding". Did it cross your mind that they were imploding precisely because he bowled outstandingly well on the world's most notorious road at Adelaide? Did you consider that when he bowled so damn well at the Gabba it was against well-set high-class batsmen who were in great form?
this australian team is lacking confidence and is having a leadership crisis - no one can argue with that

the damage was done in the LAST match when english BATSMEN battered the confidence of australia by making them chase leather for most of the test - even though the match was drawn the aussies took a battering and the match was a psychological loss for the team

in that first match anderson took something like 2/115 - that is not bowling well, that is not results, that is just jimmy anderson.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not going to waste any time on this. You're welcome to your preconceptions, so please do enjoy them.

simmy

International Regular
yes, no or jury still out?
This really annoys me.

He is the 3rd best bowler in the world currently. Is unplayable for the majority of the time at home and reliable away from it. How can he not be world class?

He has been so for 2 years at least just gets to showcase it now on a big stage.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This really annoys me.

He is the 3rd best bowler in the world currently. Is unplayable for the majority of the time at home and reliable away from it. How can he not be world class?

He has been so for 2 years at least just gets to showcase it now on a big stage.
Since 2008, Jimmeh has played in 10 series and averaged below 33 in just 4 of them - that is simply not that good, I'm afraid

Also, of the 4, 1 was against Bangladesh in England (where he was routinely smashed by Tamim with the new ball and bolstered his figures against thelesser lights) whilst another was against WI (also in Eng) who openly admitted that they didnt even want to be there

Whilst improving, Jimmeh is fantastic on his day but, on most occasions, still very ****ing ordinary when it's not and people still seem to be blinded by the former

Spark

Global Moderator
Well this is a test for him. It's not swinging, the pitch is flat, and he's been too full thus far. Is this the "off" of Anderson's "on/off" bowling?

RyanF

Cricket Spectator
Anderson has always looked good in conditions that suit him. He has looked mediocre in the sub-continent. Quicks should be judged by how they perform in the sub-continent if batsmen are judged by how well they do in conditions in Eng, SA or AUS. Yeah?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
since 2008, jimmeh has played in 10 series and averaged below 33 in just 4 of them - that is simply not that good, i'm afraid

also, of the 4, 1 was against bangladesh in england (where he was routinely smashed by tamim with the new ball and bolstered his figures against thelesser lights) whilst another was against wi (also in eng) who openly admitted that they didnt even want to be there

whilst improving, jimmeh is fantastic on his day but, on most occasions, still very ****ing ordinary when it's not and people still seem to be blinded by the former
+1.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think to some extent, Anderson really hasnt proved that much. We know that when the ball is swinging he is unbelievably good. I think he is a better bowler in that he only needs the ball to swing a tiny bit at the moment in order to be threatening and that in itself brings him into the game almost everywhere in the world. However, as the ball gets older and there is no swing, hes still pretty ordinary but lately hes at least managed to keep things tight. All put together, I think hes a very good bowler though obviously well short of the all time great category.

smash84

The Tiger King
Think to some extent, Anderson really hasnt proved that much. We know that when the ball is swinging he is unbelievably good. I think he is a better bowler in that he only needs the ball to swing a tiny bit at the moment in order to be threatening and that in itself brings him into the game almost everywhere in the world. However, as the ball gets older and there is no swing, hes still pretty ordinary but lately hes at least managed to keep things tight. All put together, I think hes a very good bowler though obviously well short of the all time great category.
A fair assessment I should say.

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Anderson's hard work has paid back.
He is in likes of steyn, zaheer, gul.

Though he is effective only with the new ball.
Needs to reverse.

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The reason why GUL hasnt established himself in Test is due to Pak playing less matches of all known reasons.
Steyn is best in the world now.

Blaze 18

Banned
Umar Gul is an adequate third seamer; however, he has not really shown that he is capable of leading an attack on his own. That is the reason he is a struggling a bit right now, in my opinion.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
The reason why GUL hasnt established himself in Test is due to Pak playing less matches of all known reasons.
Steyn is best in the world now.

the reason why gul has not performed better is because he simply does not have what it takes!!

out of all the players in pak cricket gul is the one who has probably been the most consistent selection so he has played a good amount of cricket - that excuse does not hold.

i dont know what happened to him, but his back injury looks like it has ruined him, because on debut he looked like a gun of a bowler.

he needs to take a break, and iron out the kinks in his game as well as mental approach to bowling.