• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson -Finally World Class?

simmy

International Regular
Jimmy's now ranked #3 in the world, with the best ranking and rating of his career.

In other news, Siddle and Bollinger have dropped places while Finn enters the top 20.
Amazing how high these Aussies have got up the rankings...

I havent seen a lot of Bollinger and Johnson but let's just say they must have been tearing batting orders to pieces behind my back!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson at No. 6 is bordering on farcical. When was the last time he actually bowled well?

simmy

International Regular
Johnson player of the year was farcical...
Harris, Bollinger and Johnson shortlisted before Swann in 2009 was farcical
Australia are farcical...

:D

Teja.

Global Moderator
Johnson at No. 6 is bordering on farcical. When was the last time he actually bowled well?
He didn't bowl well in the romantic sense of actually bowling well but he took 8 for about 30 ea against India which under the conditions was very good and close to his overall stats. I reckon he bowled his best in the second Innings of the first test, really put pressure on India but went wicketless then.

Last edited:

vcs

Haha, yeah, he took a five-for in the first innings at Mohali which had people scratching their heads I remember. Finn is an even worse offender, no one seems to understand exactly how he picks up wickets. I wish India had a couple of bowlers like that. :laugh:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Since 2008, Jimmeh has played in 10 series and averaged below 33 in just 4 of them - that is simply not that good, I'm afraid

Also, of the 4, 1 was against Bangladesh in England (where he was routinely smashed by Tamim with the new ball and bolstered his figures against thelesser lights) whilst another was against WI (also in Eng) who openly admitted that they didnt even want to be there

Whilst improving, Jimmeh is fantastic on his day but, on most occasions, still very ****ing ordinary when it's not and people still seem to be blinded by the former
This.

Jacknife

International Captain
Haha, yeah, he took a five-for in the first innings at Mohali which had people scratching their heads I remember. Finn is an even worse offender, no one seems to understand exactly how he picks up wickets. I wish India had a couple of bowlers like that. :laugh:
I wouldn't say that about Finn, only when he got those 6 in the first test would he be considered lucky. But during the England summer and this last test he's bowled really well and was the pick of the England seamers in the last test.

Xuhaib

International Coach
the reason why gul has not performed better is because he simply does not have what it takes!!

out of all the players in pak cricket gul is the one who has probably been the most consistent selection so he has played a good amount of cricket - that excuse does not hold.

i dont know what happened to him, but his back injury looks like it has ruined him, because on debut he looked like a gun of a bowler.

he needs to take a break, and iron out the kinks in his game as well as mental approach to bowling.
The problem with Gul is he is a confused idiot when he started he was classic hit the seam bowler his performance vs India in 2004 would have made Mgrath proud he gets injured comes back and suddenly he is your reverse swinging hitman cleaning up Lara and breaking Sarwan toes however he gets injured again and since that return he is one confused soul bowling full length yorkers one day and then trying to be L&L merchant the next.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Didn't Ishant pick a crucial 3fer recently in one the most innocuous spell of medium pace bowling.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
The problem with Gul is he is a confused idiot when he started he was classic hit the seam bowler his performance vs India in 2004 would have made Mgrath proud he gets injured comes back and suddenly he is your reverse swinging hitman cleaning up Lara and breaking Sarwan toes however he gets injured again and since that return he is one confused soul bowling full length yorkers one day and then trying to be L&L merchant the next.
which is why he needs a break, i am sure he is feeling the pressure too but this guy has gone the past 18 months not knowing how he wants to bowl a spell, he is a gun in t20 where all he has to do is bowl straight, or bowl yorkers, so maybe thats messed him up?

but he looked a great talent so thats why i want him to improve, giving him a run is only good to an extent, the curve has to be moving upwards otherwise you have to draw the line at some point.......

vcs

Didn't Ishant pick a crucial 3fer recently in one the most innocuous spell of medium pace bowling.
Indian bowlers always deserve their wickets, even when they come off well-planned long-hops, full-tosses ands blind slogs by batsmen. :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
He goes alright.

Amazing how this thread was right in the middle of him winning us the Ashes in Australia, by consistently keeping the opposition to ~250 scores on flat tracks with accuracy and reverse, but it's still about people trying to convince themselves he can't perform in the sun. Bizarre fixations never really die.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He goes alright.

Amazing how this thread was right in the middle of him winning us the Ashes in Australia, by consistently keeping the opposition to ~250 scores on flat tracks with accuracy and reverse, but it's still about people trying to convince themselves he can't perform in the sun. Bizarre fixations never really die.
Any one that ever uses the term Clouderson needs a slap.

tooextracool

International Coach
He goes alright.

Re Anderson: I find it amazing that people oscillate between either bubbling zealots or remorseless career killers virtually every series. For the record, England have only lost 2 series at home in the past 9 summers (a 2 match series against SL and the Textgate series). Even acknowledging the fact that virtually every team today seems dominant on their own turf, that is an astounding record when you consider that we generally play almost twice as many test series at home every summer compared to everyone else. Why are we such a handful to beat at home? It's certainly not due to our batting which is probably one of the worst going around. I don't have much doubt that it is because there isn't any other bowler in the world as good as Jimmy in English conditions. In England, I would select an Anderson bowling at 75mph at 40 years of age over anyone else.

However, that gets me to my next point, which is his record abroad. Overall, Jimmy averages appx 9 runs per wicket more away (33) from home than at home (24). He has 5 times more fifers (20) at home than he does abroad (4). Since the start of 2010, he averages 29 away from home vs 22 at home. Those stats are by no means as tilted as Mahela Jayawardene's, but they really need to be put into context before people jump on the bandwagon after ANOTHER successful home series. I stand by my assessment from 7 years ago that Anderson is an exceptional bowler when the ball is swinging but that he knows to pull back his line back to keep things tight when the conditions are not in his favor. However, he is by no means a great bowler when the ball is not deviating off the straight.

91Jmay

International Coach
Anderson is just a different bowler depending on conditions. He isn't a strike bowler overseas, and doesn't try to be. His economy rates are ridiculous, think he was almost exactly 2 RPO in the Pakistan in UAE series. Now that clearly doesn't make him some kind of ATG bowler (which I think most of us agree he isn't) but it does show an amazing versatility and he isn't useless unless the ball swings. It tends to be that he bowls well first up, in India in the disaster tour this actually happened a few times, and then we just get crushed later and he comes back to set batsmen.