• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson -Finally World Class?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Well okay - Asif's better than Anderson assuming he's allowed to play and won't deliberately lose you the game; two pretty big ifs. Aamer though is rated almost purely on potential and aesthetics because he's had one good tour in his entire career.
Yeah exactly, Sreesanth looked as good and had better stats too at that point of his career. Aamer's career ended too early to list him with the Bonds and the Asifs, let alone the Bishops and the Akthars.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Well okay - Asif's better than Anderson assuming he's allowed to play and won't deliberately lose you the game; two pretty big ifs. Aamer though is rated almost purely on potential and aesthetics because he's had one good tour in his entire career.
amir is not rated on potential - his development from a young kid playing t20 in 2009 was when it was based on potential.

since then he became a bowler who could swing the ball both ways, bowl at pace and with variety - he become the undisputed best bowling prospect in world cricket.

it took anderson years to develop his game, amir done it in months and as a kid - that too in the pakistan cricket team makes it more impressive imo.

anderson filling his boots up in easy scenario's is not quite the same, theres no real ability anderson has which amir does not

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
since then he became a bowler who could swing the ball both ways, bowl at pace and with variety - he become the undisputed best bowling prospect in world cricket.
That's exactly what aesthetics and potential is. That's not results.

Shri

Mr. Glass
anderson filling his boots up in easy scenario's is not quite the same, theres no real ability anderson has which amir does not
He has the ability to actually play games. Saying Amir is better than Jimmy is like saying Bradman is better than Bradman if they play tomorrow. Bradman is dead, Amir is banned. Both dead as far as international cricket is concerned.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
That's exactly what aesthetics and potential is. That's not results.
wickets against australia and england are results

a teenager versus a guy who has been a trundler the majority of his career, granted its a bit of a liberty because you cannot predict the future but it was pretty clear who had the brighter future, and also who had more talent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
wickets against australia and england are results
Yeah, that's one tour. I gave him credit for that.

a teenager versus a guy who has been a trundler the majority of his career, granted its a bit of a liberty because you cannot predict the future but it was pretty clear who had the brighter future, and also who had more talent.
I wasn't talking about whose future was brighter though or who was more talented; I was talking about who the better bowler was now. And that, to me, is determined by results. Results longer than one summer long. Aamer doesn't have that and all the supposed talent and potential won't change my mind until he actually does something consistently and over a sample size longer than my nose.

And furthermore, I think it's easier to see who has the brighter future now. :)

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, that's one tour. I gave him credit for that.
about the same sample as anderson then :laugh:

and that australia team was a better more confident team, this current team is quite a bit weaker.

I wasn't talking about whose future was brighter though or who was more talented; I was talking about who the better bowler was now. And that, to me, is determined by results. Results longer than one summer long. Aamer doesn't have that and all the supposed talent and potential won't change my mind until he actually does something consistently and over a sample size longer than my nose.

in the context of who is a better bowler you can consider many things, age and ability is one of them, if anderson could for example reverse swing the ball and amir could not that would count in anderson favor, thats not the case, amir developed his bowling arsenal at a much quicker pace - why? because he had more talent, hence he is the better bowler.

anderson is in his prime, has all the experience he needs and your so called larger sample size is against weak teams or imploding teams - is it really better than amir's?

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
No, those are factors which contribute to potential.

Factors which contribute to him being a better bowler than Aamer at the moment.
so in your world an anderson bowling against bangladesh, an imploded pakistan and an imploding australia is your criteria for saying anderson is a better bowler?

i could choose selective criteria as well, amir has a way better average

amir>anderson

you are actually not being very clear about why anderson is a better bowler, in terms of performance and results what distinction am i meant to be making?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well this argument can be put to bed in the summer of 2011 as they meet in England where conditions will suit both.
Haha I don't really think you should ever put too much emphasis on one series tbh.

I think Anderson and Zaheer are pretty much equal as bowlers, but I'd take Anderson as he's more useful. Having a bowler fit for every game is a very useful and under-rated commodity - no point being good if you're not playing. It's one of the reasons I rate Ntini so highly.. such a useful player to have around.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cannot seriously believe some people rate Anderson above Asif - that has to be some of the greatest nonsense ever posted on this site

I dont mind people excluding Asif from the equation altogether but if he is to be in there, then it's an absolute no-brainer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cannot seriously believe some people rate Anderson above Asif - that has to be some of the greatest nonsense ever posted on this site

I dont mind people excluding Asif from the equation altogether but if he is to be in there, then it's an absolute no-brainer
Yep, AWTA.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

AWTA

Asif is easily a better bowler trouble is he is also a prize chump and doesn't deserve to play cricket ever again. Difficult to regard a tosser like him as better than a good guy like Anderson though as one is actually proving his worth by playing and being honest and the other is a cheating drug taking prick.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that Asif is so good is what makes his bad discipline and cheating and match fixing and having a **** haircut so annoying tbh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The fact that Asif is so good is what makes his bad discipline and cheating and match fixing and having a **** haircut so annoying tbh
Yeah, it would've been so much better for Pakistan if Sami was the match-fixer. Not only would it get him out of system and keep Asif in it, but it'd partially explain why he had such a terrible record (and maybe even why the PCB kept picking him.. :ph34r:).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
anderson is not fit to clean to asif's boots, are you new to cricket or something?
Wrong. Asif is a drugs cheat and a matchfixer, a **** and a stain on the sport. I don't care how much ability he has, to say any bowler is not fit to clean his boots glorifies the darkest aspects of this sport. If he was cleared to play again, I would still pick Anderson before him purely because he is not a cheat. He sold himself and his team-mates down the river, **** him.

I'd rather have Xavier Doherty in my team than Asif.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Wrong. Asif is a drugs cheat and a matchfixer, a **** and a stain on the sport. I don't care how much ability he has, to say any bowler is not fit to clean his boots glorifies the darkest aspects of this sport. If he was cleared to play again, I would still pick Anderson before him purely because he is not a cheat. He sold himself and his team-mates down the river, **** him.

I'd rather have Xavier Doherty in my team than Asif.
those words should be coming from me because asif plays for the team i support, therefore i understand best the extent of his betrayal, so thanks for your sanctimony.

nevertheless the discussion is framed around who is the better bowler, not a popularity contest.

as it stands anderson is waaaay below asif.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, I'm a cricket fan and am quite entitled to be displeased with Asif, thanks.

It's all a moot point, Asif could probably have been the best in the world but he's not, and it's not like he's a Shane Bond or a Simon Jones. As I say, if he came back to cricket and I was asked to head up a World XI selection panel, Asif would be the first guy ruled out.

He is an irrelevance in the discussion of who the best bowlers in the world are, end of.