• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there any hope left for Joe Root; the batsman?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, that is impressive.

In an ideal world, none of those four would have been captain and allowed to maximise their run output. Interesting to think where they could have got to without that burden, Root especially.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Kind of amazing how the story is already turning into 'Root bats so much better without the captaincy' when his century run started 18 months ago and his post-captaincy renaissance currently consists of one innings.

Or, it would be amazing were it not the sort of thing people do all the time in cricket especially. Repeat until it become fact.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Kind of amazing how the story is already turning into 'Root bats so much better without the captaincy' when his century run started 18 months ago and his post-captaincy renaissance currently consists of one innings.

Or, it would be amazing were it not the sort of thing people do all the time in cricket especially. Repeat until it become fact.
Yeah I was gonna bring up his 2021 but you can probably argue he had a short decline with the captaincy which saw people remove him from the Fab Four etc

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have felt for a long time now that all of the Fab 4 are ATGs but Root is making a very good play to be a clear #2 amongst them in tests.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
For context though, how many Tests and innings have they played in that time? Roots purple patch is undeniable but has Kane even played that much?
If I've got the dates right:
Root: 21 matches, 2192@56.20
Kohli: 14 matches, 725@30.20
Smith: 9 matches, 561@40.07
Williamson: 4 matches, 174@24.85

Note that they've picked the start date (13 Jan 2021) carefully: Smith and Williamson each scored over 200 runs in 1-12 Jan 2021.
Meanwhile, in 2020 Root was only 5th in the England batting averages (below Stokes, Sibley, Crawley and Pope, who all outscored him as well).

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Note that they've picked the start date (13 Jan 2021) carefully: Smith and Williamson each scored over 200 runs in 1-12 Jan 2021.
Meanwhile, in 2020 Root was only 5th in the England batting averages (below Stokes, Sibley, Crawley and Pope, who all outscored him as well).
But is it not illustrative of them all being on 7000+ runs and how close they all were. Kane wouldn't have been on 7000 and Smith 600 behind?

Then the fact none of them have picked up a ton in the same time.

Highlighting a leaner time for the other 3 due to lack of game time for Smith/Williamson due to COVID and injury and then Kohli has just been rubbish. While Root is hitting a purple patch and shooting away from them all.

I think anyone who has a passing interest in cricket could have told you England were playing loads and Australia/New Zealand weren't.

The old lies damn lies and statistics springs to mind. But I think it's interesting enough stat to look at.

Root being the youngest and in a better run of form may see him keep that gap going till they all finish now.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
NZ played 10 matches in that time, so it’s partly Williamson’s fault for getting injured.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I obviously speak for all Australians when I say that his legacy will forever be tarnished by his inability to score a hundred on Australian soil. He probably has one more chance to do so (two tops), and of course all of us down here wish him all the best.

Shady Slim

International Coach

points like this incredibly well made point by AndrewB explain why a thread like this is really just a vessel through which posters get to smugly feel vindicated based on the form of a single player, and over the course of the see-saws of the cricketing calender neither of the bastions edifies themselves particularly well after the whole thing
I obviously speak for all Australians when I say that his legacy will forever be tarnished by his inability to score a hundred on Australian soil. He probably has one more chance to do so (two tops), and of course all of us down here wish him all the best.
unironically this is true however

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed.

I mean, just bowl fourth stump line on a deck with a bit of bounce and he'll do the rest for you.

Absolute King on slower and lower* decks though, when he has time to adjust.

*less challenging and manly