• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there any hope left for Joe Root; the batsman?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone answer the question of who scored the most fifties since or between 100's? I think I'm counting Root at 10 fifties from 18 innings since his 136 last August.
TOTAB went about three years between test tons at one point but apparently averaged over 50 during the same period, so he might be in the argument.

Burgey

I'm calling that bull**** but even if true it says more about the fragile nature if your spinners than the performance of KP throughout that series.

Look mate, you couldn't possibly be more wrong here. KP's Mumbai knock was epic.....no one is denying that. It was the sort of innings that very few batsmen in history could have played. But it was 1 of 8 innings England batted in that series.......and in the other 7 (1 of which KP didn't bat) he did next to **** all (a couple of useful 50's iirc) There is no way on earth you can rate that higher than Alistair Cooks performance across the 4 tests.

That is what KP used to do, play the odd epic innings that gets everyone jizzing over him but there was never any consistency about him. You think of nearly all of his greatest test innings and them look at who was player of the series at the end. Was very very rarely golden bollocks himself. As has been said countless times on here, he was a player of great innings but not a great player.
Still the best Pommy bat since Gooch/ Gower and arguably since Boycott imo.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Is it true that Australians can not put an elbow out of a car window without the police pulling you over and penalising you?

Burgey

I’ve never been pulled over for it or seen anyone pulled over for it, but since I’ve been a kid there’s been tales told that it is a law.

Burgey

lol occasionally they have crack downs on jay walking if there’s been a few pedestrians KOed. He should have just refused to provide them with his ID, assuming the story is true.

Burgey

Not really. He was a gun player. One to be feared when he played against a team you supported.

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm calling that bull**** but even if true it says more about the fragile nature if your spinners than the performance of KP throughout that series.

Look mate, you couldn't possibly be more wrong here. KP's Mumbai knock was epic.....no one is denying that. It was the sort of innings that very few batsmen in history could have played. But it was 1 of 8 innings England batted in that series.......and in the other 7 (1 of which KP didn't bat) he did next to **** all (a couple of useful 50's iirc) There is no way on earth you can rate that higher than Alistair Cooks performance across the 4 tests.

That is what KP used to do, play the odd epic innings that gets everyone jizzing over him but there was never any consistency about him. You think of nearly all of his greatest test innings and them look at who was player of the series at the end. Was very very rarely golden bollocks himself. As has been said countless times on here, he was a player of great innings but not a great player.
Of course! I never said that KP is a better batsman than Cook, just that he's played more series defining innings than any other England batsman. My first post was an attempt at mildly trolling England fans and you fell in the trap :p Who in the right mind wants a 37 year old to make a comeback in international cricket?:laugh:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Of course! I never said that KP is a better batsman than Cook, just that he's played more series defining innings than any other England batsman.
No he hasn't. He may have played more memorable ones but he certainly has not played more defining ones.......I thought we just established that?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, different perspectives are accepted.
Nah, I don't think so. Like everyone remembers KP's Mumbai innings as they do his double ton in Adelaide in 2010.......not many would remember Cook's innings in those series they just know he scored a truck load of runs. Let's face it not many of Ali Cooks innings are what you'd call "memorable" but they certainly were more series defining in both these examples.

India 2012 and Aus 2010/11 are by far the most important England wins in the last decade.......KP was but a cameo in both while Cook bossed them and was far far more influential.

OverratedSanity

Can anyone answer the question of who scored the most fifties since or between 100's? I think I'm counting Root at 10 fifties from 18 innings since his 136 last August.
TOTAB went about three years between test tons at one point but apparently averaged over 50 during the same period, so he might be in the argument.
Yep. Border had 21 fifties and 0 hundreds in a 4 year stretch. Still averaged 45

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting actually. Seems like he was well on track to hold the record amount of 100s til that massive stalling period of unconverted 50s in the final third of his career

Scored 23 tons in his first 10 years and only 4 in his final 6

Last edited: