• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there any hope left for Joe Root; the batsman?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Root has only scored 3 test centuries away from in England and Wales in 32 tests and has the easier option of longer series with more time to look at bowlers who get tired/injured.
Williamson has scored 10 test centuries away from NZ in 35 tests despite many of those being in two match series.

Overall for the last 5 years

Root 62 tests - average of 53
Williamson 40 tests - average of 63
And Kane bats 3. Like an Ian Chappell boss. None of this namby-pamby 4 or 5 stuff :P

But seriously, why is Kane even being brought into a Joe Root discussion?

England ought to stop comparing and replicating the things NZ do, and start doing their own thing. Mark Wood going to bowl like Wagner, well he doesn't. Root to bat 3 like KW, well its not working out for him.

NZ has different available talent to England in tests, it is one thing for them to take our ODI script and shoot the lights out with it, but its another thing to take our test script too. Which if they are going to pinch, involves picking a middle order spud batsman, and selecting him so long that eventually he looks half decent. And at some point, if you have no second openers, you start fabricating them from the middle order, that is the NZ way.

But with Foakes and Buttler around, Bairstow hanging onto the gloves seems a little odd to me when he is an excellent candidate to move higher up the order. In NZ, BMac couldn't drop the gloves quick enough. And most batsman only pick them back up when they're short of runs, see Latham and Watling.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah how come he can score 50s-60s at will but can’t go past that? Not really sure it has anything to do with the team. It’s mental/ physical issue than anything else. I read it somewhere he always had issues with the back. Sort of like Michel Clarke may be?
Maybe but Clarke never had an issue with big tons. He probably had one of the better 150+ conversion rates in the game. Root just has concentration issues, no point overthinking it and trying to blame it on something physical IMO.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Maybe but Clarke never had an issue with big tons. He probably had one of the better 150+ conversion rates in the game. Root just has concentration issues, no point overthinking it and trying to blame it on something physical IMO.
Dunno about this, Stephen Flemming has probably the worst 100 conversion rate of all time at 9 vs 46 50's, but would fare pretty well in a 100 vs 150 to 200+ conversion rate of centuries with 4 scores above or equal 192 out of 9 centuries incl 3 doubles. 5 if you start at 174.

So is it concentration? Or is there something about their ability to make good starts more regularly impact on their ability to score big once set? I firmly believe in the Hadlee theory, that eventually a bowler will produce a jaffa (or the umpire will make a poor call). So at some point, once set, the batsman needs to find his tempo and groove and bully the bowling (not slog, but not be too tentative) to rack up a string of hundreds. Yes batsmen lose concentration, but that's far less than a good ball being snuck through by the bowler.

We have disdain for batsmen who are referred to as flat track bullies, but all good batsmen need this skill else cause disadvantage to their teams, the moniker is merely indicative of those who don't have the ability to score big in more trying circumstances.

I think Root produces his best when he is hovering close to 58-67SR. Flem too suffered many times with a sub 50 SR.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Retire Root and bring back KP.
There's no point in dropping Root. If he doesn't want the captaincy, then relieve him of it. There's no shame in that, Tendulkar didn't want the burden of it. Nor did Aravinda before him. And many more.

Root is a fabulous cricketer, and anyone averaging 50 from England is a very fine and special talent, even if they're not scoring hundreds, they are consistently contributing. I'd take that any day over a Marvin Attapattu conversion rate of 50's 100's and 100's to doubles.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
There's no point in dropping Root. If he doesn't want the captaincy, then relieve him of it. There's no shame in that, Tendulkar didn't want the burden of it. Nor did Aravinda before him. And many more.

Root is a fabulous cricketer, and anyone averaging 50 from England is a very fine and special talent, even if they're not scoring hundreds, they are consistently contributing. I'd take that any day over a Marvin Attapattu conversion rate of 50's 100's and 100's to doubles.
I don't care, I just want KP to play for England forever, he won them the series against us in 2012 single-handedly. He is the elixir/ambrosia the team needs.

You can love KP you can hate KP but you cannot ignore KP.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I don't care, I just want KP to play for England forever, he won them the series against us in 2012 single-handedly. He is the elixir/ambrosia the team needs.

I'm a KP fan. I'm a Joe Root fan. I was even a James Taylor fan. I still celebrate Cook making runs, I want him to chase down Tendulkar. :ph34r:

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm a KP fan. I'm a Joe Root fan. I was even a James Taylor fan. I still celebrate Cook making runs, I want him to chase down Tendulkar. :ph34r:
He is slow but he will get there. He scores runs slowly but his last name is also Cook. And you know when does the food taste best? - When it is slow cooked. So because of his slow pace, fans will lose hope from him of not chasing down Tendulkar.....but he will get there...

TheJediBrah

England would have been better off telling Broad, Prior, Swann and all those ****s to **** off and keeping KP

<3 KP

Flem274*

123/5
oh good is it roots turn to get labelled the worst batsman ever now?

we've just had kane, now root, so is it smith or kohli next? im guessing kohli since india are touring england soon

Burgey

He is slow but he will get there. He scores runs slowly but his last name is also Cook. And you know when does the food taste best? - When it is slow cooked. So because of his slow pace, fans will lose hope from him of not chasing down Tendulkar.....but he will get there...
Stop trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a food discussion ffs :ph34r:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

JFC this makes my eyes bleed.

KP won the series in 2012 single handedly........WTF?? Cook scored well over 200 more runs than KP at not far off double his average. Your captain MSD claimed Jimmy Anderson was the difference between the 2 sides. KP (may) have been the 3rtd best Eng player in that series.

Oh, and I could ignore him very happily if morons didn't keep bringing him up after every Eng loss.

Burgey

I think Root is gone and should definitely retire before the next Ashes series :ph34r:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Can anyone answer the question of who scored the most fifties since or between 100's? I think I'm counting Root at 10 fifties from 18 innings since his 136 last August.

Spark

Global Moderator
Can anyone answer the question of who scored the most fifties since or between 100's? I think I'm counting Root at 10 fifties from 18 innings since his 136 last August.
Watson had 11 fifties between his Mohali and Oval hundreds. And a lot of thirties and forties too.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
oh good is it roots turn to get labelled the worst batsman ever now?

we've just had kane, now root, so is it smith or kohli next? im guessing kohli since india are touring england soon
Smith’s ban makes him safe until that finishes, lucky boy.

Bijed

International Regular
From counting the bars on his cricinfo batting graph, Arjuna Ranatunga scored his 4th and final century in 1993, then proceeded to score as subsequent 22 50s

Himannv

International Coach
I somehow feel the captaincy is weighing him down a bit. He's still averaging 50+ as captain since he's a good batsman, but I think the captaincy has brought some additional pressure to go on and make a big hundred and save his team. At a time when he seemed to be at his peak and ready to actually take his performances up a notch he's been given this extra burden to carry. He looked to me like he was really feeling the pressure during the Ashes in particular.

It's not a problem that England can fix easily either as there don't seem to be any other outstanding candidates unless they decide to give it back to Cook, and they'll have to do it without demoralizing Root at the same time.

Kirkut

International Regular
Stop trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a food discussion ffs :ph34r:
Good food is analogous to all good things in life. :)

JFC this makes my eyes bleed.

KP won the series in 2012 single handedly........WTF?? Cook scored well over 200 more runs than KP at not far off double his average. Your captain MSD claimed Jimmy Anderson was the difference between the 2 sides. KP (may) have been the 3rtd best Eng player in that series.

Oh, and I could ignore him very happily if morons didn't keep bringing him up after every Eng loss.
No. Statistically Cook did well, but it was KP's knock in Mumbai after which our spinners were mentally shot for the rest of the series and pretty much the reason why you guys won.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No. Statistically Cook did well, but it was KP's knock in Mumbai after which our spinners were mentally shot for the rest of the series and pretty much the reason why you guys won.
I'm calling that bull**** but even if true it says more about the fragile nature if your spinners than the performance of KP throughout that series.

Look mate, you couldn't possibly be more wrong here. KP's Mumbai knock was epic.....no one is denying that. It was the sort of innings that very few batsmen in history could have played. But it was 1 of 8 innings England batted in that series.......and in the other 7 (1 of which KP didn't bat) he did next to **** all (a couple of useful 50's iirc) There is no way on earth you can rate that higher than Alistair Cooks performance across the 4 tests.

That is what KP used to do, play the odd epic innings that gets everyone jizzing over him but there was never any consistency about him. You think of nearly all of his greatest test innings and them look at who was player of the series at the end. Was very very rarely golden bollocks himself. As has been said countless times on here, he was a player of great innings but not a great player.