• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it ok to boo your own team?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
That's fine and we'll support you all the way. 0-0 against Algeria in the World Cup if you're England - that's a slap in the face to the fans and their passion that got you those salaries. That's a booing - you better believe it.
Yeah, but the majority of those players' salaries come from their club income. Do you think it's justifiable for the lowest paid member of the side to cop the same booing per capita as Rooney?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, but the majority of those players' salaries come from their club income. Do you think it's justifiable for the lowest paid member of the side to cop the same booing per capita as Rooney?
Yea. Deal with it. Most players know if they've played like **** and if it applies to them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have only ever booed my own team when John Barnes was in charge.

hate it when people boo during the game/at half-time, hate it when your own player gets booed. Booing at the end just because they've lost, meh, shouldn't happen - if the effort hasn't been there, then boo at the end, IMO. Fans are essentially the customers, and if the customers aren't happy, you don't reduce your quality upon hearing this.

Booing the opposition is a must though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You boo if they don't try. If they don't try, they don't deserve your support. Simple as. They can turn it around next game. If hearing a little boo harms their chances instead of spurring them on to do better, they're a bunch of losers who won't ever achieve anything anyway, and it's time to get new players.
Right. So you only support your team when they try?

Uppercut

Fans are essentially the customers
Wait- this isn't how you feel about Tranmere at all!

I'd boo if I thought it would help out the team I was supporting. When you want a manager sacked, for example, it makes perfect sense to let the club know. But England's "supporters" booing last night is just going to make their team even ****ter, and they know it. Doing it anyway makes them crap fans.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly as a shock tactic, booing has a role and a place. When it is common place then it is unseemly and cheap.

It does raise an interesting question though. Do the players and club exist to provide entertainment to the paying customer or is the paying customer paying for the right to watch people play sport? Does club sport differ from International sport in this regard?

I am firmly in the latter camp. I dont think of sport as entertainment but as something people are entertained by.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Right. So you only support your team when they try?
I would shoot my self in the head before I 'support' another team against mine. Booing is not a lack of support, booing is anger at your team letting you down. Like how you reprimand your kids if they do something wrong. You can be disappointed in your kids, but you won't ever want to get rid of them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Spectator sport has no intrinsic value except in what it means for the spectators. We are moved by it, it draws us in, it causes such visceral reaction in us despite it 'meaning' aboslutely nothing in an objective sense. The 'dispassionate fan' is an oxymoron.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wait- this isn't how you feel about Tranmere at all!

I'd boo if I thought it would help out the team I was supporting. When you want a manager sacked, for example, it makes perfect sense to let the club know. But England's "supporters" booing last night is just going to make their team even ****ter, and they know it. Doing it anyway makes them crap fans.
The title of the thread says "Is it ok to boo your own team?"

Tranmere is my team

Therefore, yes, yes it is

Anyway, you're stating opinion as fact. On what basis can you say that it's going to make them ****ter? Some players thrive on provijg people wrong, others let their head drop. You can't make hard fast rules.

Uppercut

The title of the thread says "Is it ok to boo your own team?"

Tranmere is my team

Therefore, yes, yes it is

Anyway, you're stating opinion as fact. On what basis can you say that it's going to make them ****ter? Some players thrive on provijg people wrong, others let their head drop. You can't make hard fast rules.
It's another debate entirely. Do you think England will play better in the next match than they would have had they not been booed?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know; I'm not a psychologist. I don't think you can definitively state it either way and nor do I think you can state such a thing collectively.

The supposed eleven best players in the country shouldn't be too worried about a bit of booing nonetheless.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never booed Brentford but do not blame people for doing it in some circumstances, yesterday was certainly one of them.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only people I've booed in my life have been refs when they walk ONTO the ground and that was habit and a bit of fun

Maybe I'm nave but I happen to believe that everyone does their best when on the field

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've never booed Exeter and can't see myself ever doing so: nothing irritates me more than morons getting on the team's back because of a couple of misplaced passes in the context of what's been achieved in the last few years.

England, last night, however... it's different. People have flown halfway round the world to support the side and they turn in such abject, fearful ****. I am struggling to remember a worse England performance in a game that mattered - and it was **** because the players barely ever tried to make things happen - it was safety first, just kick-and-rush wait for something to happen.

I don't think I'd have joined the boos last night - same way I can't see myself doing so if we get stuffed at Melbourne or Sydney this winter - but I didn't feel myself angered in the same way as I do when it happens at Exeter. We can't possibly play worse, anyway.

pasag

RTDAS
I don't know; I'm not a psychologist. I don't think you can definitively state it either way and nor do I think you can state such a thing collectively.

The supposed eleven best players in the country shouldn't be too worried about a bit of booing nonetheless.
Imagine it depends on what motivates people to play, if they're just doing it for themselves then they probably don't care, if they're playing for the country and national pride and all that jazz I imagine they'd be pretty upset.

Uppercut

They'll obviously be affected in some way by 30,000 people booing them off the pitch when they're representing their country. I don't get how being one of the best 11 players in your country has any impact on that at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, hopefully it'll get them to do better next time instead of just sliding by because they didn't get called on heir crap.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No I don't think it's ok. Especially so with regards to the current England problem. A reason why the team has played poorly and may continue to do so is because of the ridiculous pressure the fans put on the players and the way they turn on them at the drop of a hat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No I don't think it's ok. Especially so with regards to the current England problem. A reason why the team has played poorly and may continue to do so is because of the ridiculous pressure the fans put on the players and the way they turn on them at the drop of a hat.
Two problems with that: firstly I don't think an expectation that England would beat a demonstrably inferior side like Algeria is ridiculous pressure & secondly it wasn't at the drop of a hat. It was at the arse end of the game when the players had shown neither the ability nor much of an inclination to score.