• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me or is WC barely registering with people

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still, if Australia win it'll be the first time since 1987 that one side has held 50% of the world cup trophies. That's interesting at least.

Not that our chances are great without Hazlewood and with our team that went 1-9 against England a year ago.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the freaking World Cup, people! Let's put aside our aversion towards ODIs for a month. I bet it'll be a lot more competitive with first choice stand and some bowling friendly conditions. I'm pumped.

As an aside I don't really remember much of the last one but the one before that is all clear in my memory.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Like everyone else have been focused on all sorts of other things up til now, plus waiting for winter to start so I can stay up at night watching a summer sport always seems strange... but now the opener is just a couple of days away the excitement starts to leak in.

This world cup certainly looks a marathon rather than a sprint.

Burgey

It'll be a nice distraction given that both my footy teams are going like busteds atm.

OverratedSanity

There’s just been a whole bunch of events that cricket fans from the major nations have focused their energy on? Especially true for India imo.

NZ shooting
SL blasts
IPL
Australian elections
Singapore releasing a fake news bill
Indian elections
GoT season
I'm not especially gaga over the IPL either, but it's stretch to put the biggest blame on that for the lower-than-usual interest leading into this WC. For me it plays a small part along with multiple other factors others have mentioned such as the Christchurch shooting, attacks in SL, recent elections etc.
Those things have always happened and it's never stopped people from being excited for the world cup. I doubt those are the actual reasons.

The general audience just doesn't like non t20 cricket as much as it used to. The response even in India is surprisingly meh so far and if there's a population that wouldnt let terrorist attacks get in the way of them being excited for cricket, it's India.

vcs

Those things have always happened and it's never stopped people from being excited for the world cup. I doubt those are the actual reasons.

The general audience just doesn't like non t20 cricket as much as it used to. The response even in India is surprisingly meh so far and if there's a population that wouldnt let terrorist attacks get in the way of them being excited for cricket, it's India.
I'm sure it will pick up if India start playing well and get to the knockouts.

But yeah, T20 leagues have definitely led to a saturation in the amount of cricket people can reasonably consume. When there was less cricket to watch (like the '96 WC etc.), the hype used to be pretty incredible. Every TV ad etc. would carry some reference to the World Cup. Heck even the JAMODI tournaments like the Independence Cup, Sharjah Cups etc. would get plenty of hype.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Getting a tad more excited now. I previously wouldnt sleep much during past overseas tournaments, I doubt ill be staying up to watch many matches in their entirety this tournament.

I am keen to know what the par score will be and i do hope we see some tight finishes.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I am quite interested now. The only thing that puts me off is that, this WC might just be a bash-bash with the bat with no respite for the poor bowlers. I hope that doesn't happen.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The the forum has picked up a bit and the bots have increased.... looking a bit better.

Personally looking forward to the distraction of the WC but not exactly excited at the moment.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I am quite interested now. The only thing that puts me off is that, this WC might just be a bash-bash with the bat with no respite for the poor bowlers. I hope that doesn't happen.
It won't happen. Warmup games had boundary ropes brought in. Well you'd get the odd 400+ game but you'd get games where below 300 isn't chased successfully.

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
BBC, Sky Sports, radio stations, billboards etc are covering it extensively, even my friends (White English fyi) who have never really watched cricket are talking about it a lot too (fb statuses, asking questions etc). I am even over hearing a lot of conversations in pubs (normally always just football). There is a tonne of coverage, Below is from Cricbuzz -

"Adverts on the underground, radio slots on the BBC, trophy roadshows, viral marketing, press engagements in trendy dens, graffiti artists on Bristol walls, a listening party for the official song, football influencers taking selfies with Jos Buttler, ex-Love Island stars on Instagram stories and a launch party in front of Buckingham Palace. Welcome to the Cricket World Cup, 2019 edition.

Has there ever been a build-up like it? Certainly not in terms of effort, and definitely not in England"

Last edited:

PikeyB

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's an Ashes year , so you might get a bit of bleedthrough from that . Seems like there's a million Brits that perk up their ears when the big stuff comes around . You don't see them for dust when England are touring Bangladesh though :D .

Champions Trophy was a bit of a damp squib mind , on and off the pitch . Seemed like the Womens World Cup generated more heat among the casual British sports fans .

Cricket just isn't a huge deal over here anymore . I would prefer myself if all World Cups were held in the countries where the fans actually are . I've seen that there's tickets left for sale at some group games . I will be gutted if I see empty stands . I was out in India during the 2011 World Cup and it was the sporting highlight of my life . The cricket was focal everywhere I went . Loved it . England will never be able to replicate that grass roots enthusiasm , even if they romp to victory .

Still , I'm pretty excited myself . Not overly concerned about England winning as a fan : as long as they fight hard I'll be happy . Just want to see great cricket . I picked the last 2 winners before a ball was bowled , got tasty odds in 2015 and actually made a bit out of it . This time , I'm keeping my money in my pocket. ;)