• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me or is WC barely registering with people

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
Where did you read there were still tickets left? Last week they confirmed 96% of tickets have been sold, so the only tickets left are for say Afghanistan and Sri Lanka. All of the top nations matches sold out all their matches in the first phase.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I feel the lack of associates and the tournament format did kill the hype for me a bit. I always look forward to seeing new teams and players, rooting for upsets, and enjoy a format where you know a good chunk of teams will be eliminated halfway through. Having a massive group stage of 9 teams I've already seen a lot of + Afghanistan, followed by a short sudden KO stage, doesn't feel quite as exciting

Add in the IPL taking up most of the cricket coverage in the lead up to this, and it feels like it's sort of snuck up on us, despite everyone knowing about it for ages.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, getting to see Scotland and Ireland playing important games is a really fun aspect of world cups I'll miss this time around

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
CricAddict makes a good point.

With the australian election, I hadn’t been posting on here as much as usual, and when I have popped in I’ve noticed the quantity and standard of posting has fallen away dramatically.

As many of you know, I’ve long said that if I didn’t post here, CW would die a slow, boring death. The past month or two has proven that, and that’s why I decided to lift my post rate on the lead up to the WC and Ashes.

Certainly the WC build up here has been very quiet by Australian standards, and there seems only sporadic interest overall. Hopefully that changes over the next few weeks.
Oh captain, my captain.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel the lack of associates and the tournament format did kill the hype for me a bit. I always look forward to seeing new teams and players, rooting for upsets, and enjoy a format where you know a good chunk of teams will be eliminated halfway through. Having a massive group stage of 9 teams I've already seen a lot of + Afghanistan, followed by a short sudden KO stage, doesn't feel quite as exciting

Add in the IPL taking up most of the cricket coverage in the lead up to this, and it feels like it's sort of snuck up on us, despite everyone knowing about it for ages.
Hurray, it only took the World Cup to bring you back.

Welcome back :)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

welcome back

smash84

The Tiger King

welcome back indeed

trundler

I noticed a few ***** likes here and there and he's indeed back! 8-)

91Jmay

International Coach
Generally in Australia unless the Aussie team are favourites they won't hype it, also the format is weird and long and makes it hard to care about early on. The games lack context because you don't really know what the lie of the land is until last few weeks.

vcs

I'm bored of this World Cup already. Bring back Test cricket.

OverratedSanity

Generally in Australia unless the Aussie team are favourites they won't hype it, also the format is weird and long and makes it hard to care about early on. The games lack context because you don't really know what the lie of the land is until last few weeks.
I thought people liked the 92 format? I've never been a fan, personally.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought people liked the 92 format? I've never been a fan, personally.
It was a good format back in '92 when those 9 teams were the only team worth showcasing in a tournament. Now there's 14-15 decent/interesting sides I'd prefer a smaller group set up. In a perfect world id love a 15 team league but hey I get that's impossible

Kirkut

International Regular
Too much of anything is not good, just like ***. When you have too much ***, your sperm count can go down and libido takes a hit, then you don't enjoy *** anymore....

cnerd123

likes this
It was a good format back in '92 when those 9 teams were the only team worth showcasing in a tournament. Now there's 14-15 decent/interesting sides I'd prefer a smaller group set up. In a perfect world id love a 15 team league but hey I get that's impossible
I loved the 2007 format personally. I'd just make one change. 4 groups of 4, then quarter finals. 16 teams, short sharp and to the point. It would be wonderful. But ofc if the money teams get KOed early then no one will watch it anymore, and that's bad for money and frankly not great for the sport, even tho we all love a good upset.

What I would do for the next WC is give all 12 full members direct entry, and have 4 regional qualifying tournaments (1 Europe, 1 America+South Pacific, 1 Africas and 1 Asias) for all the Associates. Market, promote and broadcast each qualifying tournament, run them in the year building up to the WC, and the winner of each tournament proceeds to the WC. 16 teams, 4 groups of 4, and cross your fingers that India England Australia and Pakistan all survive.

Alternatively, run 8 smaller regional tournaments, with 8 winners going to a 20-team WC. Go with 4 groups of 5, followed by quarterfinals. It's a longer group stage, but gives more security to the top teams that they'll make it to the final 8s and not get KOed due to one bad day. Showcases a lot more countries too, but the whole qualifying process could take like 2 years, which is a lonnngg time.

Also you don't make as much money as you can since India is only playing 3/4 guaranteed group games before the KO stage. A structure where India and 9 guaranteed games really does take in the $$$

The structure for this year's WC was actually good, apart form the fact that the most exciting part of the tournament so far -the qualifiers in Zimbabwe- wasn't marketed or promoted or broadcast well enough. It was incredibly exciting and entertaining, and yet barely anyone saw it or followed it. Had that been put on TV/YouTube for everyone to see, with efforts put behind getting media to cover it and talk about it, that in of itself would have build some real hype for the main tournament right now. And TBF the idea of having every team play each other once is growing on me. You get to see every possible match up before you get to the KO stage.

All easier said than done tho tbh. The ICC does the best it can with what it has.

Last edited:

vcs

I loved the 2007 format personally. I'd just make one change. 4 groups of 4, then quarter finals. 16 teams, short sharp and to the point. It was wonderful. But ofc if the money teams get KOed early then no one will watch it anymore, and that's bad for money and frankly not great for the sport, even tho we all love a good upset.

What I would do for the next WC is give all 12 full members direct entry, and have 4 regional qualifying tournaments (1 Europe, 1 America+South Pacific, 1 Africas and 1 Asias) for all the Associates. Market, promote and broadcast each qualifying tournament, run them in the year building up to the WC, and the winner of each tournament proceeds to the WC. 16 teams, 4 groups of 4, and cross your fingers that India England Australia and Pakistan all survive.

Alternatively, run 8 smaller regional tournaments, with 8 winners going to a 20-team WC. Go with 4 groups of 5, followed by quarterfinals. It's a longer group stage, but gives more security to the top teams that they'll make it to the final 8s and not get KOed due to one bad day. Showcases a lot more countries too, but the whole qualifying process could take like 2 years, which is a lonnngg time.

The structure for this year's WC was actually good, apart form the fact that the most exciting part of the tournament so far -the qualifiers in Zimbabwe- wasn't marketed or promoted or broadcast well enough. It was incredibly exciting and entertaining, and yet barely anyone saw it or followed it. Had that been put on TV/YouTube for everyone to see, with efforts put behind getting media to cover it and talk about it, that in of itself would have build some real hype for the main tournament right now.

All easier said than done tho tbh. The ICC does the best it can with what it has.
You're misremembering, the 2007 WC had Super 8's.

morgieb

You're misremembering, the 2007 WC had Super 8's.
I think that was where the "I'd just make one change" comes from. ***** didn't exactly say it well though.

IMO that was the biggest problem with the 07 WC. Had it just been quarter-finals it wouldn't have been anywhere near as tourtorous.

cnerd123

likes this
The Super 8s would have been enjoyable if India and Pak made it through IMO. 8 decent teams fighting over 4 spots.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
It's just not going to happen. How do you give broadcasters and sponsors a guaranteed 9 games for India this world cup, then take a couple off in 4 years time and ask for the same cash? Not going to happen ever again. I'm surprised we got away with it in 2015 considering that was originally supposed to be a 10 team cup.

The closest scenario I can see bringing a couple of Associates back in the mix would be a pre qualifying tournament days before which would make it almost 2 months long.