• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me or is WC barely registering with people

thundaboult

International Debutant
This one should definitely have more hype. Its in the summer of most places where its summer, and there have been some good performances from the weaker teams recently. I feel that the IPL has killed the buzz dramatically.

Spark

Global Moderator
In fairness CW is always quiet this time of year (April-May) for the simple reason that there's no cricket except the IPL and no one here cares about the IPL.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
You gotta admit, the build up has lost a little fizz without the other 4 teams. The kits are also a bit rubbish too and samey samey as the regular home and away ones.

Once we get to the pointy end of the tournament and India England et al are in the semis, it'll all change.
Assuming that they don't choke.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There’s just been a whole bunch of events that cricket fans from the major nations have focused their energy on? Especially true for India imo.

NZ shooting
SL blasts
IPL
Australian elections
Singapore releasing a fake news bill
Indian elections
GoT season

turnstyle

State 12th Man
It's the least excited I've ever been for a World Cup, and I think this is a big part of it. I used to love watching the teams I didn't see that much of in the intervening years. Now I guess there's just the World T20 for that.
Even then, most are shoved out the door before the tournament even begins.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Assuming that they don't choke.
Pretty unlikely to choke when you've got 9 chances. It's more a World Cricket League than a World Cup. First world cup without an associate FTR!

I'm a bit jealous of Rugby in that sense. I'm seeing it first hand here flourishing at grass roots level in a very non rugby part of the world under good management and it looks like it's governed similar on a global level (i know nothing about rugby btw).

Where cricket all the way from grass roots to the ICC is full of self interest and determined to self destruct when it's never been as popular as it is right now, globally.

Last edited:

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Where you from turnstyle?
Living in Sweden these days.

We're in the same complex as one of the big rugby clubs and they've just had a big upgrade to their facilities. Clubs here tend to be one giant umbrella name with multiple sports associated with it using the same brand. Rugby was organised well enough to attach themselves and gets a leg up funding and participation wise. It's great to see lots of young Swedes taking to it.

Burgey

Sounds like Swedish rugby is in better shape than Aussie rugby, which is basically comatose and on a ventilator. The Kiwis do so much right in that sport and we do everything wrong.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty unlikely to choke when you've got 9 chances. It's more a World Cricket League than a World Cup. First world cup without an associate FTR!

I'm a bit jealous of Rugby in that sense. I'm seeing it first hand here flourishing at grass roots level in a very non rugby part of the world under good management and it looks like it's governed similar on a global level (i know nothing about rugby btw).

Where cricket all the way from grass roots to the ICC is full of self interest and determined to self destruct when it's never been as popular as it is right now, globally.
Rugby Union is dying an agonising death here

Burgey

Yeah but you’re a private school kid - the only demographic the game gives a **** about, and which gives a **** about the game.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but you’re a private school kid - the only demographic the game gives a **** about, and which gives a **** about the game.
Which is a shame, and more of a reflection in the way the sport is administrated than anything.

Burgey

Definitely. The Kiwis do it right - draw their players from everywhere. Our selectors still don’t go west of Anzac Parade, and we haven’t won anything since about 2001.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely. The Kiwis do it right - draw their players from everywhere. Our selectors still don’t go west of Anzac Parade, and we haven’t won anything since about 2001.
Rugby Australia is just run so poorly. They're hopeless

Zinzan

The biggest thing is the IPL, poisoning the atmosphere with its filth. There haven't been any high profile lead up games for most sides.

The fact that the format has become terrible to watch in recent years, devaluing the fundamental cricket concept of "bowlers" hasn't helped. Hundreds and fifties aren't special any more and it always feels like a shock when a batsman gets out.

It'll change though when the whole thing starts. Nothing like a bit of meaning to sort out the men from the boys.
I'm not especially gaga over the IPL either, but it's stretch to put the biggest blame on that for the lower-than-usual interest leading into this WC. For me it plays a small part along with multiple other factors others have mentioned such as the Christchurch shooting, attacks in SL, recent elections etc.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Sounds like Swedish rugby is in better shape than Aussie rugby, which is basically comatose and on a ventilator. The Kiwis do so much right in that sport and we do everything wrong.
Ah. Rugby is run by kiwis here, so maybe thats why then.

TheJediBrah

I don't know what it is but I just don't have much interest at all. Maybe all the high profile T20 leagues are diluting cricket, or maybe the whole Smith/Warner bans just put me off cricket I don't know. But I've always been pretty switched on for World Cups in the past. Doubt I'll watch much, if any of this one though tbh.