• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me or is WC barely registering with people

Spark

Global Moderator
Seriously, maybe I'm just distracted with other things, but this has to be the quietest, least hyped WC I can recall. Is that just a thing here, or is it a thing in other countries too?

Like there have been about as many spam threads posted in this subbie as actual threads (if we include all the deletions)

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In India, we've had election mania for the last few months. Now with the results out, we can finally move on to the more important business of the World Cup.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Before the age of widespread internet and social media, I feel the '99 English World Cup had more hype than the '19 one.

morgieb

Hasn't helped that the antipodes are deep in footy (code dependent on location) mode, I guess. Ditto England.

But yeah it's felt quiet as hell. Far more like a buildup to the WT20 or CT than the World Cup.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Definitely been quiet for New Zealand. Also doesn't help that there was no ODI action for us to get set and feel ready for something big that's coming our way. Last ODI was like 3 months ago, and a very indifferent IPL as well.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I have felt that CW itself has gone very quiet these days compared to earlier. No trouble makers or controversial posters these days. Not many posts from the regular posters as well.

Burgey

CricAddict makes a good point.

With the australian election, I hadn’t been posting on here as much as usual, and when I have popped in I’ve noticed the quantity and standard of posting has fallen away dramatically.

As many of you know, I’ve long said that if I didn’t post here, CW would die a slow, boring death. The past month or two has proven that, and that’s why I decided to lift my post rate on the lead up to the WC and Ashes.

Certainly the WC build up here has been very quiet by Australian standards, and there seems only sporadic interest overall. Hopefully that changes over the next few weeks.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The Indian Premier League is a big reason as the lead up to the Cup has been wayyy to quiet for most teams.

But honestly cricket just isnt that ***y for the general public to talk about compared to NBA playoffs or GoT.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh sorry, I just meant in my life. At work and mates are only talking about the NBA and a bit of Rugby League when we talk sport.

Ive not had any real discussion about Cricket. Once it starts im sure itll be exciting.

Midwinter

State Captain
When does this thing start !

I thought it was supposed to start last week

The number of one day games being played as warm ups is sorta making the competition itself pointless

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the fact it's still, just about, footy season in the host nation is the main reason. And then England are playing the Nations League which will take some of the hype the cricket would be getting.

Once England storm to the semis it'll be all over the front pages in the motherland, don't worry.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh sorry, I just meant in my life. At work and mates are only talking about the NBA and a bit of Rugby League when we talk sport.

Ive not had any real discussion about Cricket. Once it starts im sure itll be exciting.
No worries. Just being cheeky

turnstyle

State 12th Man
You gotta admit, the build up has lost a little fizz without the other 4 teams. The kits are also a bit rubbish too and samey samey as the regular home and away ones.

Once we get to the pointy end of the tournament and India England et al are in the semis, it'll all change.

Flem274*

123/5
i care less than i thought i would, and it feels like nz is the same

most of the sports chat down here is the mounting number of injured all blacks, the crusaders are op and the general warriors/folau/blues memes

cricket did make the papers this week when they said they're losing money so domestic cricket can **** off

_Ed_

You gotta admit, the build up has lost a little fizz without the other 4 teams.
It's the least excited I've ever been for a World Cup, and I think this is a big part of it. I used to love watching the teams I didn't see that much of in the intervening years. Now I guess there's just the World T20 for that.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The biggest thing is the IPL, poisoning the atmosphere with its filth. There haven't been any high profile lead up games for most sides.

The fact that the format has become terrible to watch in recent years, devaluing the fundamental cricket concept of "bowlers" hasn't helped. Hundreds and fifties aren't special any more and it always feels like a shock when a batsman gets out.

It'll change though when the whole thing starts. Nothing like a bit of meaning to sort out the men from the boys.

Daemon

The last WC was awesome. Finals was lame tho but that’s just one game.

Definitely feel like the Border Gavaskar had more hype tbf. Maybe fans are evolving.