• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Flintoff Overrated?

Is Flintoff Overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Don't No

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Flintoff sucked anyway. So over-rated. Plus he hasn't played in ages. No surprises there.

He did perform well in a few big games - like the Ashes and ODIs with the ball though.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Flintoff sucked anyway. So over-rated. Plus he hasn't played in ages. No surprises there.

He did perform well in a few big games - like the Ashes and ODIs with the ball though.
Still one of the best allrounder on his day.....:)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From 2003 until his injury in 2006 he was right up there as one of the best players in the world.

People have called him overrated because of what he did (or didn't do) prior to 2003 where he was just a run=of-the-mill player. But to ignore his achievements at his peak is just ignorant, as his claiming he only performed well against Australia (which you didn't state specifically but implied).

I won't be discussing this any further as I don't think Flintoff's retirement thread should be soured by such discussion.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
To be classed a great all-rounder you at least need a higher batting average than your bowling average. Flintoff fails. He's miles off being any where near the best of the best.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look, I said I'm not going to get into an argument, so I won't.

Please, however, point out who said any of the things you were refuting.

What I, and many others, will claim is that at his peak he was among the best players in the world. Go argue things that no-one is saying somewhere else, hey.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff fanboys :S
Ok if you say so.

It was this in his retirement thread that I was objecting to, there is a big difference between that and the more reasonable 'he is not one of the true greats blah blah blah' argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Look, I said I'm not going to get into an argument, so I won't.

Please, however, point out who said any of the things you were refuting.

What I, and many others, will claim is that at his peak he was among the best players in the world. Go argue things that no-one is saying somewhere else, hey.
Even though flintoff was a pom, he possessed an aura in his prime years that really transcended any statistical interpretations. If you looked at him from a purely numerical standpoint, yes he's overrated, but he just added so much in so many other ways.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Even though flintoff was a pom, he possessed an aura in his prime years that really transcended any statistical interpretations. If you looked at him from a purely numerical standpoint, yes he's overrated, but he just added so much in so many other ways.
Think this a very important point.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff is one of those players who'll not look as good in retrospect (looking at his record). He was a 'moments' player in much the same way Warne was. He'd take the important wicket, make the important runs, take an important catch, etc, and it would boost his team and England looked much better when he made such a difference - Ashes 05 will always a testament to that. For that, a lot of people who didn't watch Flintoff just won't get how good he was when he was on a roll. He'll fall short of that legendary status other players garner, but he'll be a cult-hero nonetheless.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff is one of those players who'll not look as good in retrospect (looking at his record). He was a 'moments' player in much the same way Warne was. He'd take the important wicket, make the important runs, take an important catch, etc, and it would boost his team and England looked much better when he made such a difference - Ashes 05 will always a testament to that. For that, a lot of people who didn't watch Flintoff just won't get how good he was when he was on a roll. He'll fall short of that legendary status other players garner, but he'll be a cult-hero nonetheless.
Awesome post.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will sum it up like this:

Didn't perform at his peak for long enough to be considered one of the greatest allrounders of all time, even though there is no doubt he was capable of greatness.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

As I've said (I think in this thread, the post-moving has thrown me off somewhat), at his peak there was an argument for him being the world's best player, but he didn't stay up there quite long enough to make it into the ATG discussions like some players who reach such heights do.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

As I've said (I think in this thread, the post-moving has thrown me off somewhat), at his peak there was an argument for him being the world's best player, but he didn't stay up there quite long enough to make it into the ATG discussions like some players who reach such heights do.
Yes. Considering that Australia's great team were pretty much at the peak of their dominance around then (with Ashes 2005 being the only blemish), that is a pretty big accolade.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Not at all Overrated....brilliant player...England should be thankful to him for the efforts he made with injuries...