• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Flintoff Overrated?

Is Flintoff Overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Don't No

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
as a limited overs player i'd suggest he was infact underrated. his skills in the one day game are so often ignored, was an absolutely brilliant bowler for england in that format.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff is not overrated whatsoever. In fact, as someone living in England, I think he is one of the most accurately rated players by members of the cricket watching public.

Jacknife

International Captain
Flintoff was picked too soon for England and his averages always have taken a hit because of that.But to England fans who watched him the most,they would say his stats don't reveal what a inspirational player he's been to England and his bowling especially didn't get it's just rewards.Injuries have set him back so many times and it's a testament to him that he came back from so many injuries and operations.All I know is that he has given me so many fond memories while playing for England and when he played the atmosphere in the grounds were always that bit more intense.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was a fantastic one day bowler and at times a pretty ****ing good Test one. But I think he was pretty hugely overrated, perhaps because he always looked more dangerous than he often was. Bowled to the body too much IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's interesting how, at least on CW, New Zealanders have often been ones to most view Flintoff as overrated. From zinzan12 before the 2005 Ashes where he was being compared to Oram, to now where a lot of the more hostile posting regarding his reputation is coming from our antipodean cousins, it's a pretty clear trend.

Did notice in another thread that Flintoff missed quite a bit of cricket against NZ, maybe this had a role to play in it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There seem to be two schools of thought on Freddie's career:

1 - That at his peak he was untouchable but that his peak wasn't long enough for him to be considered an ATG.
2 - That was he was overrated.

Would like to know whether the people in school of thought 2 disagree with school of thought 1 or are just looking for an argument that isn't there because in my years here it has seemed to be the latter...

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
You trollin or just ignorant of Fred's Test career.Check before typing rubbish.
Not trolling im just saying what I think

In the summer of 2005, Andrew Flintoff established himself as England's greatest allround cricketer since the days of Ian Botham, producing a succession of wholehearted and inspirational performances to reap 402 runs and 24 wickets in five Tests, and carry his team to glory in arguably the greatest Ashes series of all time. It was a performance that reverberated around the globe, and propelled Flintoff to the sort of superstar status that his many admirers had always believed was within his grasp, but had often despaired of him ever achieving. - From Cricinfo

While I reckon he was a good ODI player I just dont think he is really as good as people make out, he was on top of the world from like what 2005-2007.

Yea he was good but not as good as he will be remembered for IMO.

Just dont take it so personally next time

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's interesting how, at least on CW, New Zealanders have often been ones to most view Flintoff as overrated. From zinzan12 before the 2005 Ashes where he was being compared to Oram, to now where a lot of the more hostile posting regarding his reputation is coming from our antipodean cousins, it's a pretty clear trend.

Did notice in another thread that Flintoff missed quite a bit of cricket against NZ, maybe this had a role to play in it.
Yeah could be that actually, mostly only saw Flintoff play NZ or Australia in Tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What is?

05 was his tops. He was the best all rounder from 05 (I think, cant think of any other top all rounders playing well at the time)
There's a difference between being a one-series player, and a certain series being your best.

I have argued this point over and over again at CW and am sure people are sick of me doing so.

Here is a post I made a couple of years back that Rich and I later turned into an article: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/38206-andrew-flintoff-underrated.html

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There seem to be two schools of thought on Freddie's career:

1 - That at his peak he was untouchable but that his peak wasn't long enough for him to be considered an ATG.
2 - That was he was overrated.

Would like to know whether the people in school of thought 2 disagree with school of thought 1 or are just looking for an argument that isn't there because in my years here it has seemed to be the latter...
Actually agree with both 1 and 2. Problem is that some people think he's a god and that he was only awesome for 2-3 years.