• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam vs Hayden; Test Batting

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Different players, different roles. I don't know that it's easy to compare them.

I'll always love the aggrieved look Inzi got when he was comically run out.
The best bit was when the poor guy seemed so confused about getting out obstructing the wicket, and then getting out for not. In his words:

Yeah, I can't understand the rule because in Faislabad, we lefts the ball and I am out and now stop the ball is I am out I don't know what's the exact rule, I don't why can't understand the rule
WAG

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha yeah; he did a similar thing in the McGrath/Wasim thread I think. Reckon the idea just dawned on him.
Haha noticed that one too.

Much rank very high among the poorest ways of statistical comparison between two players.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Important to remember here that the eras don't really match up. Inzy scored the majority of his runs in the 1990s, whereas Hayden failed on his first attempt before coming good post-2001. In general, it's been said that runs were somewhat easier to get during Hayden's tenure, and the difficulty of opening especially had been lessened.*

That's in addition to them having very different roles and playing for sides with very different batting strength. I don't think this is really a fair comparison at all.

Inzy wins on quality of post-match interviews.

*there are stats for this but I cba.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Important to remember here that the eras don't really match up. Inzy scored the majority of his runs in the 1990s, whereas Hayden failed on his first attempt before coming good post-2001. In general, it's been said that runs were somewhat easier to get during Hayden's tenure, and the difficulty of opening especially had been lessened.*

That's in addition to them having very different roles and playing for sides with very different batting strength. I don't think this is really a fair comparison at all.

*there are stats for this but I cba.
actually, he scored the majority of his runs in the 2000s.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I never missed a post-match presentation after any India-Pakistan match when Inzy was the captain.

His typical reply would be something like this "ya bowling good batting bad opening batsmen not good their spins good spins kumble good bowling bad luck we will do good next time inshallah" :D

hang on

State Vice-Captain
inzi is the reason why i 'believe' that patel shouldn't be forced to lose too much weight and become a svelte, lithe version. i remember the slimline inzi circa 2003 world cup time.....the poor sod could barely buy a run. am still convinced that his balance and sense of body space was completely effed up by his dramatically reduced proportions. he went back to being a lardarse and had the most prolific stint of his career.

smash84

The Tiger King
inzi is the reason why i 'believe' that patel shouldn't be forced to lose too much weight and become a svelte, lithe version. i remember the slimline inzi circa 2003 world cup time.....the poor sod could barely buy a run. am still convinced that his balance and sense of body space was completely effed up by his dramatically reduced proportions. he went back to being a lardarse and had the most prolific stint of his career.
haha.....agree with this

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hey Cribabge, I'm interested in your thoughts re this; considering your Sidebottom-Anderson post(I agree, ftr). Since Hayden had a career of 7-8 years and Inzy averaged 60 in his 'peak' of the same length, shouldn't this be a no-contest in Inzy's favour according to that system?

For everyone else, I'm not saying this is a no-contest ftr.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hey Cribabge, I'm interested in your thoughts re this; considering your Sidebottom-Anderson post(I agree, ftr). Since Hayden had a career of 7-8 years and Inzy averaged 60 in his 'peak' of the same length, shouldn't this be a no-contest in Inzy's favour according to that system?

That's not really the case, as Hayden's successful career was a lot longer than that - 95 Tests as oppose to the 54 Test you cite as Inzamam's peak.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

That's not really the case, as Hayden's successful career was a lot longer than that - 95 Tests as oppose to the 54 Test you cite as Inzamam's peak.
Yeah, whether to use the number of Tests or the time elapsed is always a difficult one for me.

Anyway, I deliberately haven't actually voted on this as Inzamam's career isn't something I've looked into in too much depth. I made a post about facets of his game that I felt were over-rated and hence concluded that he was probably over-rated due to those, but if I looked into it more closely I may find that he's under-rated due to other factors anyway.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah that is an interesting question whether to use time or number of matches as the criterion. It is important to note that Aus and Eng play far more tests than other countries so this makes it trickier

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, I never missed a post-match presentation after any India-Pakistan match when Inzy was the captain.

His typical reply would be something like this "ya bowling good batting bad opening batsmen not good their spins good spins kumble good bowling bad luck we will do good next time inshallah" :D
:laugh: Exactly, classic stuff.

I voted for Haydos. I can never rate Inzy too highly as he rarely made a run whenever I watched him - obviously made a stack of runs in matches not televised in Aus..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
yeah that is an interesting question whether to use time or number of matches as the criterion. It is important to note that Aus and Eng play far more tests than other countries so this makes it trickier
But on the flip side, by playing fewer games players have less burnout problems.

Mehul K

Cricket Spectator
I'd say Inzy. Perhaps I am leaning towards him because I loved him as a character as much as his batting.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
But on the flip side, by playing fewer games players have less burnout problems.
I think Pakistan played a lot more ODI cricket, Inzamam didn't necessarily suffer less burnout for playing fewer tests. Might have well worked out to his disadvantage.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
180 in Inzy's good period against 148 for Hayden - wouldn't call that a significant difference compared to the number of Tests.